Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #76
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
The problem with Amazon's approach to indexing is that books -- especially sideloaded books -- can get stuck if the indexing fails, causing the device to continue cranking away without end. Since the Kindle OS provides no way to find the offending book, that's a big problem for large libraries.

A better approach, if you don't need every word indexed, is to disable indexing. Do that by connecting the device to a pc then find the Search Indexes folder, delete it and replace it with a text file of the same name. The device will still show your books as unindexed but it won't attempt to index them.

Or, you *could* just use a Kobo Aura One which doesn't have an issue with indexing. Plus, Kobo allows Calibre to automatically set up collections without jailbreaking the device. With a large library of sideloaded books, that's a tremendous advantage.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
The problem with Amazon's approach to indexing is that books -- especially sideloaded books -- can get stuck if the indexing fails, causing the device to continue cranking away without end. Since the Kindle OS provides no way to find the offending book, that's a big problem for large libraries.
That’s why it’s sensible to load your books in batches and wait for each batch to finish indexing before loading the next. Genuinely “stuck” indexing is very, very rare these days, though. I didn’t have it happen at all while loading 9000+ books onto my KO2, nor for years previously with several other generations of Kindle.

Quote:
A better approach, if you don't need every word indexed, is to disable indexing. Do that by connecting the device to a pc then find the Search Indexes folder, delete it and replace it with a text file of the same name. The device will still show your books as unindexed but it won't attempt to index them.
That then means that you can’t search books, a facility I find indispensable.

Quote:
Or, you *could* just use a Kobo Aura One which doesn't have an issue with indexing. Plus, Kobo allows Calibre to automatically set up collections without jailbreaking the device. With a large library of sideloaded books, that's a tremendous advantage.
But the Kobo doesn’t offer the ability to search your entire library. The Kindle’s the only reader (AFAIK) which offers that capability.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-09-2018 at 05:11 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 04:07 AM   #78
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
For people loading a large existing library onto a new device e.g. after a device upgrade, is there any way to backup and restore a good index from the old device to bypass all those processing hours.
I assume it is a database file or files so the most likely hassle is working around write protections for system areas of the device.
Anything that take many many hours to complete is surely a good candidate for back up and restore. I am surprised Amazon do not already do it. They do auto backup my fire tablets so setting up a new one is very quick. I have never really thought about it for paperwhites as I am in the "only keep a handful of books on device" camp.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #79
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Why load a large library on an ereader?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #80
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
please - if you must ask that , then start a new thread, or search for the many many existing discussions. don't hijack this one just as it was getting interesting.

Some people like to load large libraries on their e-readers. I don't , but a forum search will reveal the pros and cons of that, debated to death already.
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
This thread - my thread - is about tips for loading a large library on a Kindle Oasis 2. Please start your own thread if you wish to ask why someone would wish to do so, since that has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of this thread.

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #82
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I apologize to those who want to know how to load a large library on a Kindle. They don't interest me enough to start a new thread, though.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #83
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
I currently have over 4,000 books on my KO2, and it's done well. I did disable indexing, as the ability to search the contents of a book is not that important to me. However, I'm noticing that when adding new books from Calibre, it's taking longer and longer for them to show up on my Kindle. Today, I tried adding just a single book--one from my Calibre library that I want to read but is not yet on my Kindle. I have tried restarting the Kindle, switching from downloaded to all and back to downloaded, changing sorting order, grid to list and back... and the book still hasn't shown up on the Kindle, even though Calibre recognizes it as being on the device. Any recommendations?
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #84
stumped
Wizard

With over 4000 books u are probably pushing the boundary of what that device is capable of .

Unless you have the 32gb version, which Harry t has squeezed 8000 onto.

you could maybe check free storage via a pc connection. If it is running out of space that may explain the slowdown
Even with indexing disabled it may have to add to various lists and databases before the book shows up.
Ps I did not know you could disable indexing ?

A simple test to rule out calibre being the slow down cause would be to add a book directly with windows tools via usb, just by copying to the correct folder, and see if it still takes the same time to appear

Last edited by stumped; 11-02-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
With over 4000 books u are probably pushing the boundary of what that device is capable of
4000 books isn't that many. My Oasis is working fine with well over 9000. I would suspect a problem with that particular book.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #86
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
4000 books isn't that many. My Oasis is working fine with well over 9000. I would suspect a problem with that particular book.
Yes, I scrolled back, saw that , and edited my comment. But you have a 32gb device, maybe the other poster has the smaller option. If these things work anything like pcs then having 32gb in place of 8gb could make everything much zippier. I have not looked into how many ancillary lists etc the kindle keeps and thus how many files have to change when book 4001 is added... He implied ,unless I missed read, that he seeing a delaynow whenever a book is added , before it becomes readable
Old 11-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, the more books you have, the longer it takes for the library list to refresh when you add or remove books. With my 9000 or so books (9228 at present), when I add or remove books it takes around 20 minutes for the library to finish updating, but it's never failed to do so.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #88
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, the more books you have, the longer it takes for the library list to refresh when you add or remove books. With my 9000 or so books (9228 at present), when I add or remove books it takes around 20 minutes for the library to finish updating, but it's never failed to do so.
So if you now add one book, you cannot begin to read it for 20 minutes ???

That would bug me far more that most of the newest devices current cause celebres (the lighting issues, swipe to unlock...).
I guess you have a routine for adding or removing outside of your reading times
Old 11-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
So if you now add one book, you cannot begin to read it for 20 minutes ???

That would bug me far more that most of the newest devices current cause celebres (the lighting issues, swipe to unlock...).
I guess you have a routine for adding or removing outside of your reading times
You can read it as soon as it shows up, which may be almost immediately or it may not be for 20 minutes.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I load new books and delete those I've read perhaps once a month, and have a cup of coffee or something while the library list is updating.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #90
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
As a bit of an update, yes, I have the 32 GB KO2. I'm currently using less than a quarter of it. I was only trying to add one book today, and it did finally show up on the device about 15 minutes later. I guess this is normal. I was just being impatient because I'm starting a read-along today and really wanted the book.

This post explains how to effectively disable indexing, stumped.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote