Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #31
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
It's taking a little bit less than forever to load right now but you can find the original librarian program here,
http://web.archive.org/web/200011100...k-gemstar.com/

Michael
Nice find Michael!

Here's a direct link to the Rocket Librarian software page you mentioned above; it cuts down on that wait time
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #32
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Nice find Michael!

Here's a direct link to the Rocket Librarian software page you mentioned above; it cuts down on that wait time
The Way Back Machine as it's called, is pretty dang cool. From the main page, notice the links across the top. Moving images, Text, Audio and so on. All public domain. There's 10,000's of movies alone.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #33
MoonPuppy
MoonPuppy began at the beginning.

Device: RCA eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
So you actually did the screen swap with Gemstar to turn the B&W REB1100 into a 16 grayscale GEB1150? And later got stung when they did a firmware upgrade to shut down the "load your own content" avenue!!!! A real old-timer then... Welcome aboard!

::shakes cane in everyone's general direction::

You kids get off my lawn!!

By the way, is your converted REB1100 (actually the 1150) using the latest firmware from www.ebooktechnologies.com ?
This, I do not know. I'ma have to find the &*$&# thing and charge it up. I suppose I could start using it if my 1100 ever dies. Heh, I'll prolly just steal the battery and throw the rest away.

Just to preface the whole issue - I'm using Vista Ultimate Edition.

Okay. Software issues. I have the original CD for eBook Librarian, but what it installs is the User Guide(!) I have multiple versions of Rocket Librarian - this is the software that imports files and converts them to .rb format. (I'm stating this for my use, also. I really get confused. Old, ya know.) When you first start this program, it wants you to tell it which com port the 1100 is using. Since I've always used a USB port, I just cancel this screen, and go ahead and import and then convert my files.

Then, I close this program out and start ::insert missing program name here::. I honest to FSM cannot remember the name of the program. Is this eBook Librarian? It shows (with an icon) whether it detects the 1100 or not. To move files to the 1100, I just hit the insert key, pick the file and open. It sends the files to the 1100. I can read them. Enjoy them. Remove them. Do whatever the ::bleep:: I want to with them. THIS is the software I need.

MoonPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #34
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Where do u buy books for the 1100 at? I was thinking about helping out my friend's daughter and found one of these but I don't want to give it to her w/o knowing where she can go for books. I've only ever had Sony's, so I have no idea...

Yeah, picked it up at a garage sale for $7 (!) but it didn't come with the software, manual, charger-nothing. A few tips on how to get it going would be awesome

I appreciate any help!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #35
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Hello and welcome,

You can find current books for sale at www.fictionwise.com, scroll down and click the Gemstar/Rocket eBook link under formats. This is a good way to get content without needing to convert it but I'm way too cheap to pay for my books so I read public domain stuff and most if not all requires conversion.

The Baen Free Library has SciFi books in .RB format. You can download ISO's of quite a few (30 at this writing) Baen cds here

This link give links to different versions of the librarian software.

The USB cable is standard but it would be a good idea to take the ebook with you to try out cables.

This link gives you info on the charger.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #36
livrerouge
livrerouge began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
Hi everyone: I just bought a used REB 1100 at a very good price. I love the touch screen, backlight, size, weight and ease of use. But...I DO NOT understand any of the articles concerning getting new books on it. I am not very computer-literate, so much of the language just goes over my head. Can anyone point me in the direction of some simple, plain, easy to follow information? I would really love to be able to use it! Thanks livrerouge
livrerouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #37
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by livrerouge View Post
Hi everyone: I just bought a used REB 1100 at a very good price. I love the touch screen, backlight, size, weight and ease of use. But...I DO NOT understand any of the articles concerning getting new books on it. I am not very computer-literate, so much of the language just goes over my head. Can anyone point me in the direction of some simple, plain, easy to follow information? I would really love to be able to use it! Thanks livrerouge
A big issue will be getting the drivers to work for it depending on which operating system you use on your home computer. If you're on Vista or Windows 7 I don't know if there is a working driver for it.

Did it come with the installation disc? That has the driver that I believe will work with Windows XP/98 and it has the program 'E-Book Librarian' that you use to transfer the books to it.

Once you have that program installed, and the device recognized by the OS when you plug it in with the USB, you can transfer books in .rb format.

To create .rb books you'll need a conversion program. I used 'RocketWriter' and "EBW-Librarian' and even then it was hit and miss on formatting. I know there are other tools that may work better though, maybe someone will reply about that.

Post back and I'll hit the subscribe button and see if I can help you get it going. If it comes down to it I have the contents of the REB-1100 disk in a folder somewhere on my PC and I could upload it for you.

It's honestly not very user friendly. I was also pretty PC illiterate when I got my first REB-1100 in 2001 ( I think? I seem to remember having one pre-2000 but it could just be my memory going hehe. ) and getting books on there properly formatted was something that actually led me to become very proficient on pc's.

Last edited by ronin688; 10-22-2011 at 08:56 PM.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote