Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #2266
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucCas View Post
-Well, let me be very honest with our Kindle users. I DO HAVE a Kindle Touch that I really like. The only thing missing is the glow light. In my opinion, it was one of the best devices that Amazon made. Why I say that? Because I could customize fonts, I could easily convert a couple of my favorite books to .AZW format, the screen is not bad and the only thing that I miss is the light, because I depend on an external source to read. Well, at least, I spare the original battery. But, one more thing: Kindle Touch has .mp3 player. It is nice to sit down with just one single device in our hands and an headphone and enjoy a good dramatized audiobook. Amazon sells a large quantity of audiobooks, so, why can't the new Kindles offer us the same experience with Kindle Touch and previous versions of Kindle (as I heard they used to have the same capability)?
Loving my Kindle Touch too. Easier to hack (firmware 5.4.5 closed the loophole currently used, making it harder -- but still possible -- to jailbreak) and has better collections support.

Also, I prefer the physical home button.

Quote:
-Let me again sincere about Kindle formats: In my Kindle Touch, I have books in PRC, AZW, AZW3 and MOBI formats. Although I said that I was migrating immediately to Kobo, it can read only MOBI and ePUB formats.
PRC is a renamed MOBI. Just change the file extension. Same goes for AZW, except it indicates it came from Amazon's servers, so it may need to be DeDRMed.

Quote:
Well, I will reconsider my position and wait for a solution to font customization. It maybe a very simple one. If not, I will pray so that my Kindle Touch lives as long as possible, because I am extremely satisfied with this Kindle version with personal fonts and .mp3. Those who like audiobooks know what I mean. It is a very nice device for that purpose.

LucCas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Dude, the device has been out for some time now. If no such support exists yet, why would it suddenly appear soon? They kinda removed it since previous generation after all, which should tell you their true intent.

Or so I have heard. Personally I have never needed font customization and thus have little knowledge about the situation.
As I said a mere two posts ago here is the MobileRead thread dedicated to the Touch/PW Fonts hack: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219405

IOW, it is possible...
(You will need to hack it.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 AM   #2267
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Don't set your expectations too high with MOBIs on a Kobo. I'm sure many can be read OK but there are no guarantees. Kobo's bells & whistles work best with epubs - and Kobo epubs (kepubs), of course.
The good news is, mobi files are trivially convertible to epub. It's a non-issue.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #2268
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
Is there any talk of a 3rd generation PaperWhite coming out soon? (Do we normally find this sort of thing out in advance?)

I'm thinking about upgrading my KKeyboard, but would hold off if the 3rd generation is about to drop...

EDIT: AND... I just spotted the other thread. I'm sorry.

Last edited by MickeyMark; 09-12-2014 at 09:05 PM.
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote