Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2019, 02:54 AM   #1
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Avoid hyphenation/syllabification/word splitting

I am using a Kobo Clara HD and while reading in other languages that are not supported by Rakuten the word splitting is done wrong, at places that may be logical in English but that are not in the languages I read in.

My question is : is it possible to modify an epub so that the Kobo would avoid word splitting ?

I have seen that for the Nook e-reader, including adobe-hyphenate: none would do the job, but it seems to be e-reader specific. I have read that here.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:16 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You have to set the correct language in the ebook metadata so kobo will know which hyphendict to use.

You can modify the hyphendicts themselves, for example by using the hyphendicts addon in my signature.

I haven't touched this addon in a long while but it should still work...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You have to set the correct language in the ebook metadata so kobo will know which hyphendict to use.
Kobo readers doesn't recognize languages properly. You can have set Polish or Russian in metadata for instance, but such book will be recognized as English one.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
Kobo readers doesn't recognize languages properly. You can have set Polish or Russian in metadata for instance, but such book will be recognized as English one.
I suppose if the metadata is set to a language the Kobo doesn't support then English is used as a default.

In what ways does the lack of recognition of Polish/Russian metadata adversely affect your use of the Kobo.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be snarky, I'd just like to know. Lucky for me I only read English books so I've never experienced this kind of problem.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #5
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
In what ways does the lack of recognition of Polish/Russian metadata adversely affect your use of the Kobo.
Kobo uses English hyphenation rules for Polish texts, so they can be strange hyphenated. Even if I install Polish rules using proper hyphen file.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
Kobo uses English hyphenation rules for Polish texts, so they can be strange hyphenated. Even if I install Polish rules using proper hyphen file.
I know it's possible to overwrite default hyphenation dictionaries with better versions but I don't know how to add new ones for unsupported languages.

It's possible (although can be a bit long-winded) to add lookup dictionaries for unsupported languages but I'm not aware of similar discoveries for hyphenation dictionaries.

You might want to make contact with MR user Gorcsev who has talked about hyphenation a couple of times in this thread, including yesterday.

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-03-2019 at 08:38 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
Gorcsev
Enthusiast
Gorcsev began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I was made some test with different hyphenation settings.

I didn't want override default hyphenation directories but used the method which is demonstrated in the thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ion+dictionary.

So let's assume, a new dictionary, for example, a LibreOffice hyphenation dictionary is loaded to KOBO.

On the other hand, there is a good hyphenation plugin for Calibre, a long term used "Hyphenate this". I was started from this while it works with the uploaded language-specific hyphenation dictionary.

Then started playing with KOBO.

I was set the parameters for hyphenation as in the kepub formatting thread discussed. Sent my book from Calibre to KOBO using Hphenyte this! and watched the result.

Then removed the soft hyphens with the same tool. Set the language in metadata, put the book to KOBO. The results (in hyphenation) was not the same like before.

In the next step I set the language directly in epub in the <body lang="xx">.

With this setting, the hyphenation result was the same as with using the Hyphenate This.

That was enough test for me to conclude that it was hyphenated with my uploaded language hyphenation dictionary.

Just a note: if I was used the "Hyphenate This!" method I lost the search possibility on KOBO, while I couldn't type soft-hyphens in the places where the tool puts them.

Last edited by Gorcsev; 06-04-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Gorcsev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, css, epub, kobo