Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When Goodreader was first released, it was 99 cents. That's how much we paid for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #92
soundwaves
soundwaves began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When Goodreader was first released, it was 99 cents. That's how much we paid for it.
Lucky!
soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #93
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwaves View Post
That makes a lot of sense... In fact, I should have realised it was the aspect ratio myself. ...
Don't feel bad. I think a lot of us are slapping our heads.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #94
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Well of course it's the aspect ratio, but you can still remove the grey margins if you double-tap the middle of the page.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #95
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I knew that. That's what I meant to say.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #96
soundwaves
soundwaves began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Well of course it's the aspect ratio, but you can still remove the grey margins if you double-tap the middle of the page.
Yes but you have to double tap every single page. That's why I was asking.
soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #97
Dogwalker01
Dogwalker01 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod1
Concealing Covers of Ebooks in Kindle

Is that possible?. I thought downloading to iCloud library might do this. It does not.
Dogwalker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #98
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
of course! Feel free to correct, edit, complain
I'm looking at presenting the information based on how people may search for it...i.e. "Can I read my Kindle books on an iPad?"

DRM Formats, Vendor Specific:
iBooks (Fairplay ePub)
iBooks

Kindle (various formats)
Kindle App, by Amazon (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)

Barnes and Noble (Adobe DRM-ADEPT Variant- PDF and ePub)
Barnes and Noble eReader Apps, by Barnes and Noble (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)

Borders Books (Adobe ADEPT(?) PDF and ePub)
Borders eBooks for iPhone and iPad

Kobo Books (Adobe ADEPT(?) PDF and ePub)
Kobo Books by Kobo (also Borders)

Sony Books (Adobe ADEPT(?) ePub)
Txtr, by Txtr (iPhone app available)

DRM Formats, General:
Adobe ADEPT (PDF and ePub)
Kobo, by Kobo (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)
Txtr, by Txtr (iPhone app available)

Non-DRM Formats:
ePub
iBooks, by Apple (iPad app available now, iPhone app 6/21)
Stanza App, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available-thru iTunes)
IBIS Reader, by Threepress (HTML5 based, no app required)

PDF
Stanza, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available-thru iTunes)
Cloudreaders by Cloudreaders
GoodReader by Good-i-Ware
iBooks, by Apple (for both iPad and iPhone on 6/21)

Mobi
Stanza, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available-thru Stanza Desktop)

PDB
iSilo by iSilo (iPad and iPhone apps available)

LIT

CHM
Bookshelf by HPC Technologies (iPad and iPhone apps available)

Other:
Comics (CBR, CBZ)
Stanza, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available-thru iTunes)
Cloudreaders by Cloudreaders
Comic Zeal by bitolithic.
Bookman, by Bookman Lab
Marvel Comics by Marvel

Unsupported:
Sony (LRF, LRX) by Sony. (deprecated)
here as well , thanks, nikkie!

Thanks for this! They are really helpful
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #99
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Don't feel bad. I think a lot of us are slapping our heads.
I agreed with...
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #100
Megracey
Megracey began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I'm gunna sound like a real noob, but I have a series 1 iPad that I want to repurpose as a dedicated reader. Trouble is I can't use the USB transfer to load it even when calibre says there is a transfer option (have found that I need iOS 9 plus, but can only use iOS 5)

Any bright ideas or old versions?
Megracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #101
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megracey View Post
I'm gunna sound like a real noob, but I have a series 1 iPad that I want to repurpose as a dedicated reader. Trouble is I can't use the USB transfer to load it even when calibre says there is a transfer option (have found that I need iOS 9 plus, but can only use iOS 5)

Any bright ideas or old versions?
Depending on which book reading app(s) you are using to read your books, you might be able to use iTunes on your computer to load the books into your elderly iPad. That might work for iBooks. Another option would be to find a book reading app which supports cloud storage, move your books to their loud, then import them via same through WiFi.

But seriously, an iPad 1? That is a very old tablet with low resolution. It is so old that I suspect there are very few apps that still work with it because you cannot use the newer iOS versions. And at that age, I'm surprised the battery still holds a charge. You can get a cheap new tablet with better resolution and support for calibre, albeit an Android one. You can also find used iPads that are much newer than your ancient one that would work, although they won't be as inexpensive as a cheap Android tablet.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 AM   #102
Megracey
Megracey began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
What can I say, I'm cheap. Can't bear to throw it out coz it all still works and the battery does hold charge
Megracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #103
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
Some observations and questions:

- if your iPad still works, then why not use it? I still used to use my old iPad 3 until recently.

- what apps are you planning to use?

- some apps can use wifi (on your iPad) to connect to calibre or the app on your ipad can be connected through a browser. Epubs etc can be transferred over wifi.

It mostly depends on what ereader app you plan to use (if possible). Hopefully old versions of the app are still available. Regrettably Stanza isn't.

NB: I just tested all this with:
- calibre (latest) on debian jessie
- marvin epub reader on iPad 1 (!!!! found one under some dust !!!!)
- connected from marvin to calibre (set up Content server on calibre) worked with website and opds view.
- if marvin works then most probably some other epubreader apps will work as well (for example shubook) if you can find them in the app store.

Last edited by mariosipad; 07-30-2018 at 09:49 AM.
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:24 PM   #104
kgoodwin865
kgoodwin865 began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro/mac OS monterey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Okay, it has been asked for, so I'm starting it. Post a question, get answers.

Post a flame, get deleted.
Ok, here goes my very first post and it's a question. I have just installed the latest update for calibre. I made a catalog of books in my library and when I look at the books on my MacBook Pro, I keep getting &middot in between the title and the author's name.

Ex. The Water Keeper · Martin, Charles

My question is how can I get rid of this?
kgoodwin865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:35 PM   #105
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This is a strange thread to post this in, as there is a calibre forum here, and this has nothing to do with iPad.

I will assume you are talking about the file names you are seeing in Finder for filenames for your books.

· is the HTML entity for 'Middle Dot' character (U+00B7 unicode).

calibre has a template to control generation of the file name from Title and Author. It's found in Adding Books preferences. The default is this Regular Expression:

Quote:
(?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)
Did you change this? If not, you should be getting hyphen and not Middle Dot. In any case you can Restore defaults and I think that will trigger rename of the book filenames.

But please consult calibre documentation, or post in calibre thread for any follow up.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote