Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
wonk
wonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
No Genre in Calibre 3

Hi!
There is no longer a "genre" feature in the metadata of ebooks in calibre 3. Can I get that back?
wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Genre has never been a standard Calibre column as far as I know. If you had such a column it was almost certainly a custom column.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
wonk

Unfortunately it won't stay, when transfering data to the new version.
Gruss, wonk
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What version of calibre are you moving from?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonk View Post
Unfortunately it won't stay, when transfering data to the new version.
Gruss, wonk
Why are you transferring the data, and how are you transferring it?

In six years of using calibre and installing well over a 100 new versions I've never had to do anything its data (libraries or configuration).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have the View Manager plugin installed by chance? Maybe the new version is somehow using the wrong View and hiding the Genre column.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
Do you have the View Manager plugin installed by chance? Maybe the new version is somehow using the wrong View and hiding the Genre column.
This happened to me before. Thought I added a column then it disappeared. Brought it back then it disappeared. Once I added it to my View Manager plugin it stayed visible.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just thought of another possibility, again related to the View Manager plugin. The new split list feature only respects the view of the View Manager plugin on the left pane. If you're looking at the right pane, it might not show the Genre column even if it's part of the current View.

I get around this by doing all my work in the left pane while leaving the right pane only wide enough to show the Title field.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:48 AM   #9
wonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What version of calibre are you moving from?
I moved from 2.x to 3.17 when transferring data to a new pc. I used calibre/ transfering all data.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonk View Post
I moved from 2.x to 3.17 when transferring data to a new pc. I used calibre/ transfering all data.
Others have made all sorts of calibre-specific suggestions. Perhaps they'll help.

Otherwise, I suspect the column hasn't really disappeared completely (or else I'd expect to have seen far more complaints about vanishing custom columns). Is it visible when you go into Preferences and look at the bit about custom columns?

Or for general trouble-shooting, what happens if you install calibre 2.x on your new computer?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:10 AM   #11
wonk

Hi,
now on another PC I changed to from 2.x to V3.18 AFTER installing ViewManager. This time the genre column stayed
Gruss, wonk

Tags
genre