Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #5341
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^

With all those nominations, I decided to buy it.

I always enjoy a good fantasy novel - unlike some of the newer, boring SF parading around today...)

THANK YOU!

HOWEVER: I read that some of the romance scenes are detrimental and embarrassing to the story as a whole. Can you confirm this?
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #5342
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
With all those nominations, I decided to buy it.
It was also a finalist for the Crawford award, the completed trilogy was a finalist for a Best Series Hugo award, and the author was nominated for the Campbell award for best new writer (given out with the Hugo awards).

But all of that doesn't matter too much. Reviews from people that match your tastes are always a better source.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #5343
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
It was also a finalist for the Crawford award, the completed trilogy was a finalist for a Best Series Hugo award, and the author was nominated for the Campbell award for best new writer (given out with the Hugo awards).

But all of that doesn't matter too much. Reviews from people that match your tastes are always a better source.
Thank you for the additional information. I do, however, rely upon awards (and nominations), and then I check out a number of reviews to get additional information to see if it is what I might be looking for.

I personally find cover copy to be often written to cater or pertain to a certain faction or group of the reading public. I just want a good story - especially in fantasy fiction. Political-based fiction (unless it's labelled as such), I find personally disgusting.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #5344
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I do, however, rely upon awards (and nominations)
Some awards are popularity contests, others are by a small committee, and in all of them you'll find some very puzzling choices from time to time

Quote:
Political-based fiction
Since "everything is political" you'll need to qualify it more.
Do you mean fiction where people are arguing over policy and societal structure, or fiction about topics that align with the current real-life social struggles?
Most "epic fantasy" involves the ruling class, which means politics, since they make decisions that affect the people they rule over, and
there's a lot of that in City of Brass, from what I'm reading. And it also has the other kind I mentioned. Den of Geek's review describes it as "a rich historical fantasy world which works as escapist fiction, while also drawing topical parallels to our current sociopolitical situation".
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #5345
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Some awards are popularity contests, others are by a small committee, and in all of them you'll find some very puzzling choices from time to time

Since "everything is political" you'll need to qualify it more.
Do you mean fiction where people are arguing over policy and societal structure, or fiction about topics that align with the current real-life social struggles?
Most "epic fantasy" involves the ruling class, which means politics, since they make decisions that affect the people they rule over, and
there's a lot of that in City of Brass, from what I'm reading. And it also has the other kind I mentioned. Den of Geek's review describes it as "a rich historical fantasy world which works as escapist fiction, while also drawing topical parallels to our current sociopolitical situation".

I agree that contests are often popularity contests and/or are politically motivated. With all that in mind, I still look to see what has been awarded. Epic Fantasy (as such) may often involve the ruling class (as you state), but this doesn't bother me too much, just so long as the story moves along and is interesting [to me].

I much prefer older SF (what the 'old-timers' called Sci-Fi); the newer stuff is just so boringly 'correct' for our current times - to me. I therefore avoid most new SF, since it doesn't suit my current reading needs. (I'll leave it at that.)

City of Brass still sounds interesting, but if it's 'romance-heavy' [not that there's anything wrong with that], then I'll just pass. But...I do now have the ebook, and I'll attempt to read it. That cover is gorgeous, by the way. And it looks like great fun. If it dwells too deeply into the sociopolitical situation of our current times, then it's a simple matter to just close it.

Here's my favorite Fantasy Trilogy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Gormenghast Trilogy.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	188909  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-26-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Advert
Old 08-27-2021, 01:41 AM   #5346
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
City of Brass still sounds interesting, but if it's 'romance-heavy' [not that there's anything wrong with that], then I'll just pass. But...I do now have the ebook, and I'll attempt to read it. That cover is gorgeous, by the way. And it looks like great fun. If it dwells too deeply into the sociopolitical situation of our current times, then it's a simple matter to just close it.
I bought it. I find Arabian Nights style fantasy (I'm sure there's a more proper fan term) a refreshing change.

Though if you're waiting for me to read it, you'll likely be reading it on your Oasis 7
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:07 AM   #5347
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I bought it. I find Arabian Nights style fantasy (I'm sure there's a more proper fan term) a refreshing change.

Though if you're waiting for me to read it, you'll likely be reading it on your Oasis 7

EXACTLY!

I would like to recommend to you this Arabian Nights-styled fantasy (by a writer I very much enjoy):

The Parsina Saga, by Stephen Goldin.

He's a very underrated author, in my opinion. And he'a a very nice gentleman.

Here's the link to his website that lists this series:

https://payhip.com/b/M6bj

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-27-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #5348
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Mastodonia By Clifford D. Simak $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Scifi

Quote:
When an alien opens a portal to a prehistoric world, paleontologist Asa becomes caught between wonder and corporate greed.
addition that just showed up from EreaderIq.
Feet of Clay (Diskworld) - TerryPratchett $2.40 Amazon.
Weird price.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-27-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #5349
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Feet of Clay: A Novel of Discworld by Terry Pratchett - $2.40
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TU16OU
The price struck me as odd.

Last edited by tch65721; 08-27-2021 at 11:42 AM.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #5350
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

FYI I noticed that City of Brass is also featured in the Audible flash sale for $6, today only (8/27).
Old 08-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #5351
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Project Hail Mary is $6.99 at Amazon US. Not *that* great of a deal, but a fairly new release and the lowest it's been.
Quote:
The price point makes me think this is the new price, rather than a temporary discount.
Quote:
Perhaps, we'll see by the start of September or so.

But it's rather abrupt and also cheaper than The Martian or Artemis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's been pretty common for a year or more for recently published books to be at that price point or even higher as a daily deal and the price went back up afterward, though it has been non-fiction books that I have noticed.
Quote:
I'd argue that a blockbuster-ish ebook around that point is near the long-term sweet spot once you've gotten $14.99 from all the people who really want it, especially if Amazon's cut is less for prices between $2.99 and $9.99 like I seem to remember
Quote:
Since it's the same price today, I suspect you're right, but we'll see next Tuesday if it's some sort of weekly deal (IIRC Tuesday is to books what Friday is to music, the day almost all the new books come out)
And it's back to $14.99 (on a Friday, and before September). I think one year is the typical hardcover price milking interval. That probably needs shortening, but I doubt publishers are ready to consider May through August long enough. This might have been pricing reasearch, an attempt to boost sales rank numbers, or just a traditional sale.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #5352
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:

I find the best determinant is starting to read the book. I used to look at the first couple of pages in book shops. Now I use Kindle samples or the Look Inside feature on Amazon.

Reviews from people I don't know may give me some information, but mostly they give me a stranger's opinion which may or may not agree with my own. Awards are too much of an insider thing for me to take much notice. Many of the best books never apply for them.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #5353
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbomb View Post
The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
by S. A Chakraborty

is $1.99 at Kobo U.S.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-city-of-brass
This one was a good read.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #5354
tch65721
Evangelist

^^^The City of Brass also available at Amazon, same price.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #5355
tch65721
Evangelist

More Pratchett at Amazon US:
Witches Abroad - $2.40
Reaper Man - $2.70
Pyramids - $2.40