Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
P_Chang
P_Chang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
How To Jailbreak By Serial Port

Since My PW2 just OTA it self to 5.6.1.0.2,but I never jailbreak it before,so the "Update Your Jailbreak" trick won't work for me.

After searching and reading lots of thread,the answer is to jailbreak by serial port

My question is how exactly I can jailbreak my kindle by serial port?
P_Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Chang View Post
Since My PW2 just OTA it self to 5.6.1.0.2,but I never jailbreak it before,so the "Update Your Jailbreak" trick won't work for me.

After searching and reading lots of thread,the answer is to jailbreak by serial port

My question is how exactly I can jailbreak my kindle by serial port?
run the jailbreak script (from the JB archive posted) from the serial command line.

I.E: The 5.6.x series software will not run it for you, you have to run it manually.

Last edited by knc1; 12-28-2014 at 10:50 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
defrio
defrio began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thank you for your post knc1, but is there a more in-depth article on the forum for jailbreaking via serial port? If you could point me to some material I'd be happy to write an updated post for serial port jailbreaking v5.6.1 on PW2.
defrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrio View Post
Thank you for your post knc1, but is there a more in-depth article on the forum for jailbreaking via serial port? If you could point me to some material I'd be happy to write an updated post for serial port jailbreaking v5.6.1 on PW2.
???
There is a script for the actual jailbreaking.

Once you are connected via the serial port, you are using the operator's console command line process.

Run the script by entering its name, just like anything else.
???

What details are missing?
Really, I may have missed something. (*)

How can it be any simpler than running one script from the operator's command line?

- - - -

(*) Such as what user the operator's console serial port is running at in that specific firmware version and what to do about it.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
locksoft
locksoft began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
???
There is a script for the actual jailbreaking.
[...]
What details are missing?
Sorry Knc1, I've no idea about other guys but this procedure for me is science fiction.
So far I was able to find a youtube video that shows how to take apart my Kindle:

http://youtu.be/sT902XX03Nw

Well, that pretty much all I've found about it. Where is the serial port? What cable/connection do I need to buy? How to connect it to PC/Mac (usb?), where to find the script? And this kind of things.

I've spent a bit of time searching on this forum but I didn't find anything really specific. Yes, I'm one of those people who discovered the existance of JB only after my Kindle updated to last version.

Thanks.
locksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksoft View Post
Sorry Knc1, I've no idea about other guys but this procedure for me is science fiction.
So far I was able to find a youtube video that shows how to take apart my Kindle:

http://youtu.be/sT902XX03Nw

Well, that pretty much all I've found about it. Where is the serial port? What cable/connection do I need to buy? How to connect it to PC/Mac (usb?), where to find the script? And this kind of things.

I've spent a bit of time searching on this forum but I didn't find anything really specific. Yes, I'm one of those people who discovered the existance of JB only after my Kindle updated to last version.

Thanks.
The procedure requires a pretty good bit of technical background.
Also, skill with a soldering iron.

Not really a project for beginning hardware hacking.

- - - - - -

I would suggest that you just leave your Kindle alone.
After all, you have used it until now without any modifications.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
locksoft
locksoft began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Not really a project for beginning hardware hacking.
I would suggest that you just leave your Kindle alone.
After all, you have used it until now without any modifications.
Yeah, I agree with you. Soldering is a bit too much for my skills.
I was thinking the port was just a little plug.
I guess I'll put all my hopes into the JB group.
locksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:07 AM   #8
rrrvxi
rrrvxi began at the beginning.

Device: KP2
Hello everyone, I just want to share my experience so far. I bought the KP2 few days ago from a eBay seller, I check it and was shipped with the 5.4.3.2 firmware version. I realize that in order to unlock certain features I have to necessarily do the annoying registration process, however, I finally did it to download the dictionaries from the cloud to my kindle. I was aware that there was in the menu the option to update BUT I NEVER clicked it, I just waited to my files to get downloaded, they finished so I put on sleep the device.

To my surprise a few moments later I saw a flickering coming from the screen (it was in sleep) so when I checked the screen says something like "in updating process DO NOT turn off your device", I was scared to screw things up if I press down the power button so I let the process get finished (maybe my newbie error). I cannot believe that amazon FORCES the update silently, WITHOUT THE USER PERMISSION, for example on Android you always get first an notification and you have to agree before the device automatically update, I am so disappointed because of this.

The thing is, as I read in forums, that the current version 5.6.1.0.2 is NOT possible to jailbreak it, at least not without taking apart the kindle and make some soldering, I am totally fine with that since I mod a lot of devices before (TVs, cellphones, gaming consoles, etc), so I know how to solder, but I do not know where to find a guide step by step to what to do, I am completely a newbie with kindle, it is in fact, my first electronic reader I ever owned.

I think I will wait a little to see if something come up about the jailbreak to this version, but if not, I believe I will sooner or later put it by my own with the serial port option that everyone talk about, I will appreciate if someone that already did it could share their knowledge about this matter since I could´t find any videos, guides or tutorials.

Maybe a stupid question, but, is there any chance to get back to my 5.4.3.2 version that the kindle originally shipped with? I hope that someone more capable than me can jailbreak the device, for now I think the best is NOT upgrade anymore, I will never connect again to internet until someone figure it out how to block this annoying auto silently update, anyone knows how?

Well, that's all, I believe that maybe is all about give some time, same thing happen with Xbox 360 consoles for example, they have several MO BO revisions and all of them sooner or later was hacked, last version "corona motherboards" was a little tricky but they finally did it, now, the most recent MO BO called "winchester" is currently not possible to do it, but hey, it will... same thing will happen hopefully with this new kindle software version, that I repeat again, IT INSTALL BY HIS OWN, FORCED WITHOUT USER CONSENT, be aware of that.
rrrvxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #9
P_Chang
P_Chang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'll try to do it when I have time.
Thanks for knc1's post, now I know how exactly to do that
P_Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:52 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrvxi View Post
- - - - -
same thing will happen hopefully with this new kindle software version, that I repeat again, IT INSTALL BY HIS OWN, FORCED WITHOUT USER CONSENT, be aware of that.
Another satisfied Amazon customer.

One of these days, Amazon is going to do that to some Lawyer who reads their law library with KOReader (wiping out KOReader use).
Some Lawyer who also has some Pro Bono time to spend .....
Old 01-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
rrrvxi
rrrvxi began at the beginning.

Device: KP2
Quote:
Another satisfied Amazon customer.
Well, I just have a long chat with customer support, I let them know how annoying are the silently updates, and also totally bad for the users privacy.

In sum, Amazon chat ended like this:

01:02 PM PST Manisha(Amazon): As mentioned earlier as of now we have designed the Kindle in such a way the software update takes place automatically as we do not want our customers to go though that hassle of updating the software version so this feature also make Kindle run in such a way that the updates cannot be blocked or disabled in any way.
01:02 PM PST rica: Well...
01:04 PM PST rica: Thanks anyway, but this time Amazon really disappointed me,let´s see then what happen in the future with the team that designed Kindle, but for know, sure I´ll looking for some other brand device, that actually respect the user privacy. Thank you Amazon.
01:06 PM PST Manisha(Amazon): I am really sorry rica that I wasn't able to fix this issue for, however please be assured that I will definitely let my team know about this issue, as our user's privacy and requirements are of utmost importance to our company.

At least I didn't keep silent about this problem, didn't get any solution either, too bad...
rrrvxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial port