Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
How do I restart (GUI?) framework?

I need to apply changes to FONT_RAMP without rebooting on a PW3 running 5.9.6.1.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=3

says a framework restart will do it. It looks like amazon switched from init to upstart somewhere along the way. I've looked at some upstart tutorials and remain confused. They imply something like
Code:
service restart framework
would do the trick, but there is no service command.

I'm stuck. Please help.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
start|stop|restart lab126_gui

Or just x might be enough, depending. I don't rightly recall the differences, and the depgraph is hilarious.

Check what MRPI and the Font hack do for some inspiration .

EDIT: Or, well, apparently framework is still a service, too ^^.

Look at the script from the Font Hack's KUAL extension for more details.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-24-2021 at 04:44 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
start|stop|restart lab126_gui

Or just x might be enough, depending. I don't rightly recall the differences, and the depgraph is hilarious.

Check what MRPI and the Font hack do for some inspiration .

EDIT: Or, well, apparently framework is still a service, too ^^.

Look at the script from the Font Hack's KUAL extension for more details.
Thanks!

I had already found a shutdown script and guessed
stop framework
start framework
which worked. I didn't know about restart as a command.

Withe tab completion, I just now found restartFramework.sh but it is in entirety:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/restart framework
I'll give restart lab126_gui a try in case it does better, but it is a bit disquieting that /etc/upstart/lab126_gui.conf exists, but not /etc/upstart/lab126_gui
Old 05-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

.conf is just the extension for an upstart job, perfectly normal (there may be actual scripts not part of the depgraph in that folder, can't remember).
Old 05-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Both restart framework and restart lab126_gui return in well under 1 second, but it takes quite a bit longer for screen to return to its previous state. How should a script invoking one of them know when it is finished?
Advert
Old 05-26-2021, 10:09 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You don't, not really .

You'd need to make that an actual upstart job and listen for the framework_started event, and/or add another job that does something you can react to based on that event.

Fair warning: if you break upstart, or just subtly break the dep chain, you break the boot. Which potentially means a softbrick because of the failed startup counters. (e.g., have the RP/CRP at the ready if supported by your device, or have serial access otherwise. Barring that, big brassy balls required).