Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
PRS-T1 skips paragraphs etc in a specific epub.

I recently bought an ebook and converted it to EPUB to read on my Sony PRS-T1 following my customary procedure, which has always (until now) produced EPUBs that the T1 displayed legibly - with no text or artwork skipped or displayed incompletely. (I'm talking about 70-odd such ebooks.)

The dodgy EPUB would read fine for several pages. Then, on turning the page, I'd find the next paragraph completely skipped, or apparently shifted up vertically so that only the last 2 or 3 lines of it were displayed. Going back a page and then forward a page reproduced this issue exactly. Closing the book and re-opening it and going to the same page led to the same problem at the same point in the book. Changing font and/or font size seemed to cure the problem (the missing paragraph would reappear). But, after reading for several more pages (in the new font), a different instance of the same issue would crop up. I should also say that Calibre reader displayed the EPUB without any issues, as did Sigil.

So, I bought another copy of the book this time in EPUB format. And the good news is it reads flawlessly in the T1.

I guess the moral I draw is always buy the book in your reader's native format, unless it either isn't available in that format, or it is but costs more than you're prepared to pay!
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
One bad e-pub in 70 is pretty good lol and if you are using calibre to convert it does allow you to strip out some formatting you should also grab a copy of SIGIL which has a built-in e-pub checker
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Punch View Post
The dodgy EPUB would read fine for several pages. Then, on turning the page, I'd find the next paragraph completely skipped, or apparently shifted up vertically so that only the last 2 or 3 lines of it were displayed. Going back a page and then forward a page reproduced this issue exactly. Closing the book and re-opening it and going to the same page led to the same problem at the same point in the book.
Did you get any errors reported with the book on validation? (The validator at http://validator.idpf.org/ is very good). I know you have since bought a fully working book but I'm interested in what may have gone wrong.

My Sony reader is quite unforgiving with any errors in a book but I have never had them from a conversion, only from my own meddling.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Did you get any errors reported with the book on validation? (The validator at http://validator.idpf.org/ is very good). I know you have since bought a fully working book but I'm interested in what may have gone wrong.
Thanks. The 'dodgy' epub had 15-20 errors listed by Sigil's FlightCrew and the URL you suggested.

The 'good' epub also had (fewer) errors listed by both epub checkers! Go figure!

Quote:
My Sony reader is quite unforgiving with any errors in a book but I have never had them from a conversion, only from my own meddling.
Apart from Calibre conversion to epub (which added some standard CSS commands to use Times New Roman fonts on my PRS-T1 - which I always do) I don't think I've 'meddled'! But my T1 still dislikes one epub, but not the other (which has fewer errors).
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
By 'meddling' I meant hand-tweaking the xhtml code after calibre conversion to ePub. Books that I produce with calibre have zero validation errors unless I've manually introduced one with Notepad++ editing, (usually by missing a closing xml tag). The behaviour is then similar to what you describe.

Have you looked at the reported errors? If they can be clearly shown to be a calibre bug then I'm sure the developers would work on a fix.

Are you able to make a small sample of the book which demonstrates the problem? You could post this if copyright allows. What format was it converted from?

Last edited by Agama; 01-17-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert