Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
TitleCase shortcut and TOC

I had a epub with all the headings in UPPER CASE (drives me nuts)

Q1. Is there a way to convert all words in a <Hx> to Title Case using some kind of Find and Replace? The few LC exceptions ('the', 'a', etc. I can do manually)

Q2. I have Title Case on a shortcut key, but if I highlight text that has a tag in it, nothing happens. E.g. TOM<br/>DICK<br/>HARRY.

Q3. In a heading like TOM<br/>DICK<br/>HARRY, the tags are ignored when making a TOC, so that the TOC entry looks like TOMDICKHARRY

As a work-around, if I use TOM <br/>DICK <br/>HARRY (add space after) then the TOC is at least readable TOM DICK HARRY

Any workarounds?

I did try text-transform, but that didn't seem to do anything

Code:
h1 {
  font-family: sans-serif;
  page-break-before: always;
  page-break-after: avoid;
  text-indent: 0;
  text-align: center;
  margin-top: 2em;
  margin-bottom: 1em;
  font-size: 1.5em;
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  text-transform: capitalize;
}
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Q3: I use a space before the br. Although in my case it's a space before a span; in my CSS I have a selector/combinator that puts what's in the span on a separate line when it's in a header.

Q1: Yes, look in the thread on regex / regular expressions. Or search on the web.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2020, 11:58 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/function_mode.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that was embarrassing --

Not only was it in the manual, but I had saved it as a Search a long time ago
Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Well, that was embarrassing --

Not only was it in the manual, but I had saved it as a Search a long time ago
Mind posting your search solution in case anyone else wants the answer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon, as the OP said, changing the header to title case is a sample solution in the FAQ.

Automatically fixing the case of headings in the document

Here, we will leverage one of the builtin functions in the editor to automatically change the case of all text inside heading tags to title case:

Find expression: <([Hh][1-6])[^>]*>.+?</\1>

For the function, simply choose the Title-case text (ignore tags) builtin function. The will change titles that look like: <h1>some TITLE</h1> to <h1>Some Title</h1>. It will work even if there are other HTML tags inside the heading tags.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As Kovid said

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/function_mode.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	179196  
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@KG --

Any chance of having

Q2. the TitleCase shortcut key work even if there are some tags in the selected text by just ignoring the tags?

Q3. the TOC 'honor' any tags in the headings, normally <br/>?
Old 05-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure what you mean by (1) and for (2) no toc entries are always single line of plain text
Old 05-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
phossler
Wizard

(1) if I highlight text that has a tag in it, and select the text and choose TitleCase, nothing happens. E.g. TOM<br/>DICK<br/>HARRY doesn't get turned into Tom<br/>Dick<br/>Harry<br/>

(2) In a heading like TOM<br/>DICK<br/>HARRY, the tags are ignored when making a TOC, so that the TOC entry looks like TOMDICKHARRY

I don't understand how your TitleCase works for (1), but it would seem to me (obviously just my opinion) that (2) requiring all TOC entries to be a single line can be limiting. Maybe just transforming tags in a space?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	179224   Click image for larger version

Views:	120
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	179225  

Last edited by phossler; 05-13-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Forgot pictures :-(
Old 05-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

(1) has nothing to do with tags, but rather that all upper case words are assumed to be acronyms. lower case them first then titlecase them. And you should insert spaces before each <br> as well, which will take care of (2) for you as well.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
phossler
Wizard

Ahh --

1. I didn't realize the acronyms part

2. I had just assumed that tags, etc. would be treated as white space and I wouldn't have to force the extraneous space in to get the formatting to work

Thanks for the explanation
Old 05-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I always put a space BEFORE the <br /> for a clean looking TOC entry whe I use H# tags to generate from multi-line headings

I never knew WHY all case tools I have ever used (inc DOS apps), would never mix case an upper only word (I knew I had to first lower).
Kovid makes perfect sense.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #14
phossler
Wizard

Hmmm - it seems that putting a space AFTER each <br/> is more reliable

Doing it that way, if you make UPPER CASE with br/'s into lower case and then into Title Case, it works and you end with TitleCase. The TOC is also correct.

Sort of appears to me that it treats UPPER+<br/>+space as a word but not space+<br/>+UPPER as a word
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	116
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	179229  
Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Space After
Staggers the Viewed text

Line One
Line Two
(exaggerated)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote