Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #46
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I'd love it if I could invert black and white without having to go through Settings and Accessibility!
I totally agree!!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #47
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
It was 4 years ago, so yes the Kobo firmware may well have changed since then.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
I've had my AuraHD since it was released, and 90% of my books come from somewhere other than Kobo. All of my books have always worked to show the cover as "screen saver". Maybe something was wrong with the formatting of your books?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #48
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I examined firmware 5.12.4 and it has a number of changes related to the user interface update known internally as Kindle++. I assume that it what is being referenced by the above "What's New" item.

Here are some interesting things I found. I don't know when or if these features will be activated.
  • Options to control features like "Popular Highlights", "Word Wise", and "PinYin" moved to the Aa menu.
  • Contrast setting with 5 choices: -2, -1, 0, 1, 2
  • "Set the cover of the title you are reading to appear on your lock screen" (It's about time!)
I think that this is a highly misleading post that has been rampantly reported on ebook sites (digital reader etc.), Reddit etc. over something that is essentially speculation.

If I read your post quite carefully it looks like what really happened is that you found some code perhaps just commented out or is unused that suggests these title cover and contrast setting options. Would that be about right?

The firmware doesn't actually support these features. Maybe down the road an update will and again maybe not.

I don't know how many times I have coded a class or a function and then never used it because I found a better way to do it or just abandoned the whole idea. A huge grain of salt really needs to be taken here.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I think that this is a highly misleading post that has been rampantly reported on ebook sites (digital reader etc.), Reddit etc. over something that is essentially speculation.
Please note the ff statement from jhowell's post:

I don't know when or if these features will be activated.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #50
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:

If I read your post quite carefully it looks like what really happened is that you found some code perhaps just commented out or is unused that suggests these title cover and contrast setting options. Would that be about right?

The firmware doesn't actually support these features. Maybe down the road an update will and again maybe not.

I don't know how many times I have coded a class or a function and then never used it because I found a better way to do it or just abandoned the whole idea. A huge grain of salt really needs to be taken here.
I'm assuming you missed the part where jhowell says "I don't know when or if these features will be activated."

I, for one am very appreciative of his efforts in unpacking and analyzing the update.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell
or if these features will be activated
Doesn't seem misleading to me.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #52
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
The post is not misleading at all. It's not jhowell's fault that we have all gotten over-excited about the possibilities.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #53
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Please note the ff statement from jhowell's post:

I don't know when or if these features will be activated.
Oh.

Oh, no.

Would be nice, though, we'll wait and see.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #54
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Anyway, hopefully all the buzz created thus far will nudge amazon to actually activate these features pronto!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #55
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I think that this is a highly misleading post ...
How can a post that is not the least bit misleading be highly misleading?

jhowell's posts are among the very highest signal to noise ratio posts at mobileread. The referenced post is no exception to that and I am glad it got posted.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #56
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
I looked a bit more at the lock screen book cover feature to see what else I could discover. From what I could tell ads must be disabled and the book cover feature must be enabled remotely for this to work..

Last edited by radamo; 02-21-2020 at 12:25 PM. Reason: removed
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #57
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Yes, speculation. I was not trying to be misleading and others seem to have understood the caveat.

I did notice that Goodereader's story based on my post eliminated my disclaimer, making it appear that these features are all going to be made available in the current firmware release.

I believe that Amazon is likely to release these features at some point, but it make take another firmware release or two for them to work all of the bugs out.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #58
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Yes, speculation. I was not trying to be misleading and others seem to have understood the caveat.

I did notice that Goodereader's story based on my post eliminated my disclaimer, making it appear that these features are all going to be made available in the current firmware release.

I believe that Amazon is likely to release these features at some point, but it make take another firmware release or two for them to work all of the bugs out.
Being able to have my current book cover as the screensaver will be a very welcome addition for me. It is mind boggling that they took this long to allow (support) that!
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #59
dex87
dex87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle need insider preview program like w10.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
dex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex87 View Post
Kindle need insider preview program like w10.
No, because that only exists because MS ditched the QA dept. Also they ignore feedback of broken stuff when it suits them. That's really a marketing / bean counter / crowd sourced solution rather than proper testing.
Also there isn't any sensible criterion for joining. Mostly MS Fans and many are only wanting extra new features rather than being representative of the user base or qualified to test.
W10 is the worst OS ever from MS for rolling out stuff to the public that doesn't work, disables drivers, deletes files etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote