Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
mobilebo
mobilebo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Latest Android for NST

I just bought (June, '04) a NST non glow model at Walmart. What is the latest Android system I can put on the reader after I root it?
mobilebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I don't think you can upgrade the android version. You will find information at xda.com I rooted mine with nookmanager. But the android version is unchanged.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
You cant update the android version on the nook touch. And the version on it is really old so not much works on it properly apart from a few reading apps.

Now that the nook is looking to go the way of the dodo. I would recommend getting Onyx Boox T68 which looks to me like the real successor to the nook touch line of reader. Has Android 4 comes with google play preinstalled better screen and page turn buttons. Calibre companion runs on it so if you use calibre it becomes a really useful device. The price is a bit steep compared to the Nook and Kindle reade but this will be my next device if and when I want to upgrade.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
mobilebo
mobilebo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looked at the Boox on line- can't find it in the states, don't know about customer service, etc.
I'll just root the nook for now.
thanks
mobilebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't think you can upgrade the android version. You will find information at xda.com I rooted mine with nookmanager. But the android version is unchanged.
After rooting the NST, is it possible to fix that rather annoying space at the top of the screen using the nook's built-in reading app?

Also can one change the default font on a rooted NST?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use coolreader on the NST. I added a folder called "fonts" to the NST with your font in it (charis sil modified larger) and it looks great in coolreader. I am out of town and did not bring it, but I will look at the stock reader next week.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It will only run 2.1 but that has proved adequate for nearly everything I want to do with it. I don't know why people keep saying it's next-to-useless. What do they want to install on it that 2.1 won't handle?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
What do they want to install on it that 2.1 won't handle?
Calibre Companion
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Calibre Companion
That's one thing. Apparently it also doesn't work with the Kindle app. Anything else that won't run under 2.1?

Last edited by Rizla; 06-13-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
That's one thing. Apparently it also doesn't work with the Kindle app. Anything else that won't run under 2.1?
I think the current versions of some of the reading apps require at least 2.3 (as does Calibre Companion), but older versions can be found for many of them. Calibre Cloud requires 4.0
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, I am home and looked at the NST. I actually prefer Mantano. The font looks better in Mantano. I don't like the stock reader at all.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After rooting the NST, is it possible to fix that rather annoying space at the top of the screen using the nook's built-in reading app?

Also can one change the default font on a rooted NST?
There is a space at the top with a back and battery icon, but I don't find it annoying. In Coolreader there is a full-screen mode, but the bar is still there. You can easily set the margins to non-existant so you get more screen that way.

I don't think I could get custom fonts to work. It was bizarre. I had to write them to a folder that is protected...I tried them in other places and it didn't work. But that is Coolreader. Fbreader loaded them no problem. Personally I only use Caecilia and Bold Caecilia so I didn't care as they come stock on the Nook.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What do they want to install on it that 2.1 won't handle?
Moon+ Reader. The oldest version I can find requires 2.2.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
There is a space at the top with a back and battery icon, but I don't find it annoying. In Coolreader there is a full-screen mode, but the bar is still there. You can easily set the margins to non-existant so you get more screen that way.

I don't think I could get custom fonts to work. It was bizarre. I had to write them to a folder that is protected...I tried them in other places and it didn't work. But that is Coolreader. Fbreader loaded them no problem. Personally I only use Caecilia and Bold Caecilia so I didn't care as they come stock on the Nook.
I didn't mean get rid of the space at the top with other apps. I mean to get rid of the space at the top with the built-in reading app. Also, I would like to replace at least one of the pre-installed fonts with something else even if I have to use the same internal name snd the same file name. I'll know what font it really is.

If the nook STR could get rid of the top space and I could do some font replacing and repartition the user space from the B&N space, it would be much better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't mean get rid of the space at the top with other apps. I mean to get rid of the space at the top with the built-in reading app. Also, I would like to replace at least one of the pre-installed fonts with something else even if I have to use the same internal name snd the same file name. I'll know what font it really is.

If the nook STR could get rid of the top space and I could do some font replacing and repartition the user space from the B&N space, it would be much better.
Personally I find the space at the top of Coolreader in full-screen unobtrusive. You might find otherwise.
I couldn't get custom fonts to work with Coolreader on the Nook. I found that bizarre. It should be easy. Maybe it is. Maybe I did something dumb.
Re: repartitioning the user space, it's unnecessary. Just stick an SD-card in.