Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2024, 04:29 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
New Kobo Firmware 4.39.22801

This URL is fie the Libra 2. I took the URL for the for the 4.38 firmware, changed the date and the firmware version. And now I have a URL for the new firmware.

https://ereaderfiles.kobo.com/firmwa...4.39.22801.zip
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:21 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
You're 3h late... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=360324
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 05:52 AM   #3
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
So, either the update takes very long, or I'm in a bootloop now.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:25 AM   #4
BillGaitas
BillGaitas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I noped out of the sideloaded update once I checked the files, the download link supposedly is for the Libra 2 (kobo9) but the files inside the package reveal that it is for a Mediatek device and not a Freescale one.
BillGaitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:49 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGaitas View Post
I noped out of the sideloaded update once I checked the files, the download link supposedly is for the Libra 2 (kobo9) but the files inside the package reveal that it is for a Mediatek device and not a Freescale one.
How can you tell the difference?
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 07:10 AM   #6
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can you tell the difference?
Likely because in the zipfile there is a subdirectory upgrade and in there is a subdirectory mt8113t-ntx.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:14 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Likely because in the zipfile there is a subdirectory upgrade and in there is a subdirectory mt8113t-ntx.
Thanks. Do you know which processor the 1st edition Kobo Libra 2 uses?
Old 04-12-2024, 07:26 AM   #8
rantanplan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks. Do you know which processor the 1st edition Kobo Libra 2 uses?
mx6sll-ntx (because, like with the other update, there's an upgrade subdirectory with a subdirectory of this name).
Old 04-12-2024, 07:39 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
mx6sll-ntx (because, like with the other update, there's an upgrade subdirectory with a subdirectory of this name).
Thanks. The 4.39 firmware I downloaded is for the Libra 2 1st edition that I have. Most of the patches from 4.38 that I use do install in 4.39. And one of the ones that didnt work is not much of an issue as the line-height setting can be put in the config file if it gets changed.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-12-2024 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:27 PM   #10
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
So, either the update takes very long, or I'm in a bootloop now.
I did warn against doing this in my threads, as I have reason to believe it won't work properly on this package:
  • It does the same to my A2v1.
  • Firimware files shouldn't make too much difference as long as stuff doesn't depend on changes made in them (hence why it's best to be on the latest possible one with firmware first.
  • Some changes were made to pickel which may depend on other changes.
  • There's some funny stuff with fonts going on; I need to look at this more to figure out if the new update packages are actually complete.
  • This firmware update is obviously still for testing, at least for the Tolinos.
  • There's some other changes in Nickel which seem suspicious, at least wrt compatibility.
  • I've already found some likely bugs in the firmware even though I haven't even run it yet.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:45 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, before I tried the update on my Clara HD and Sage, I backed up the USB exposed partition and only used the KoboRoot.tgz to do the update since neither device was going to benefit from any of the system updates.

The Clara HD was happy with the update, my Sage went into a boot loop and needed a factory reset (page turn button/power button manual factory reset) to recover.

Sadly, my major reason for trying the update was to see if it fixed the database not closed on USB connect issue. Not sure if I want to try the number of connections that the Clara HD needs to trigger error (about 1 in 50 attempts had calibre complaining about a corrupt database while the Sage complained almost every time I connected from reading a book (ePub or kepub).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:54 PM   #12
rantanplan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I did warn against doing this in my threads, as I have reason to believe it won't work properly on this package:
I made a backup before I tried the update so nothing was really lost. It only took 10 minutes to get everything back the way it was before.