Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Animation-Free Pdf Reading App for Android?

Hi,

I bought a tablet to try to read more pdfs with less pre-processing. I have mostly set it up, and have tried Librera Reader and Moon+ Reader.

I have a lot of trouble with bright screens, zooming animation, panning animation, smooth scrolling animation, etc.

On Librera Reader, it takes a while to load a page. It flashes from the previous screen, shows the page number, and then flashes as it loads the new screen. It can also pan some if I slip.

On Moon+ Reader, I've set everything to Book View and disabled Page-Flip animations, but it often animates sliding from one page to the next.

If it can switch layers/optional content groups that would be handy, but most apps can't do that.

I would also prefer to keep buttons in-view, unlike Moon+ Reader, so it's easier to switch to Settings, or even to a note-taking app.

I haven't installed any of the Calibre assistant apps yet. Companion seems to be the most popular.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I will also need to be able to organize books into Collections, and move them between collections, without more animation and migraines.

Last edited by MarjaE; 11-17-2020 at 06:59 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even at 0% brightness, and avoiding most animation, I am still getting awful migraines from the device. I may just have to return it.
Advert
Old 11-18-2020, 12:51 AM   #3
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
What kind of tablet?
You can try OrionViewer.
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
MarjaE
Guru

Thank you, OrionViewer seems just about ideal for pdf and djvu.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. It was on sale last week. It seems to trigger my migraines regardless of viewer. I have much better luck with e-ink than with glowing screens.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

Now trying Boyue Likebook Mars. Zoom settings are a lot more important. I'd like to be able to switch between full page, half, and quarter-page views, with orientation and zoom levels switching appropriately, but Orion requires 2 settings menus to switch.
Advert
Old 12-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
MarjaE
Guru

So looking at alternative software again.

Librera and Moon Reader don't seem to have *any* options for quarter-page view. Setting it up for every single pdf is annoying but not being able to set it up is worse.

KOReader requires swipes to read the menu. I don't really have the coordination for that. KOReader doesn't seem to have options for quarter-page view.

CoolReader is unreadable. If there is a setting to get rif of the textured shelf effect, it's invisible amid the textured shelf effect.

Bookari won't open my books. Adobe Reader won't let me start it without logging in, or let me decide not to start it because I'm not frakking logging in. Ended up having to restart my device to get out.

The Likebook system also refers to "OK," rather than "okay." This bugs me because it's possible that English okay comes from Dutch oken, "to increase," with both languages used in Colonial America. Relatives of Dutch oken include English eke, Gothic aukan, etc. Which all predate "Oll Korrekt." But this doesn't affect usability like the above.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru

Boyue's own reader seems to work well for both pdf and epub. The display options are in the font size menu, and include splitting each page into multiple screens.

P.S. Or badly, when opening pdfs from OneBookShelf...

Last edited by MarjaE; 12-15-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru

Was also advised to use Xodo for compatibility.

DO NOT USE XODO IF YOU HAVE PHOTOSENSITIVE EPILEPSY.

It would strobe while rendering.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Curious, I wonder is your tablet display driver? I don't see that. I can't abide flicker or animation, so I turn off animation on all OSes and Apps.

It just shows the danger of recommending anything to anyone.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

It's a Likebook Mars. Not sure the exact driver. Xodo would flash several times when opening the library, and several times whenever trying to scroll. Would probably flash when reading, too.

Tags
android, pdf software