Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #136
golem09
golem09 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ok, I have a little problem that, as I guess it, is just small mistake on my side.

I'm using calibre to convert comics from cbr to lrf, and it works nice, as long as I just convert a single file. When I choose several files to convert (that would save me a lot of time ) I don't get the comic convert options in the convert menu at all, and when I click on OK, it does convert the files, but always with the default comic options, which results in images with wrong aspect ratio.

I'm hope I just missed something like a small checkbox in some optionsmenu that would solve my problem immediately
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #137
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you want to set the options individually for each file, then use the Convert Files Individiaully option. If you want the same option for each file, then change the default setting under Preferences.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #138
golem09
golem09 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you want to set the options individually for each file, then use the Convert Files Individiaully option. If you want the same option for each file, then change the default setting under Preferences.
I already did that. When I convert files individually, I don't change any of my already set options, I just click OK. But if I choose several cbr files, I don't even get the whole comic input option segment in the converter menu. And if I click OK, the aspect ratio is messed up again. No matter what cbr file I choose.
I even edited the jpgs in the cbr so that they have the exact measurements that clibre will convert them to, 584x754, by adding extra empty whity lines on every image, but then calibre just cut these out, and stretches the image so that the aspect ratio is wrong again.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #139
arktoga
arktoga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi!
I recently bought a Kindle DX, which i find perfect not only with books but also with comics, and i manage them all easily with Calibre.
I do, however, have a problem.. when i try to convert comics from CBR\CBZ to MOBI, pages' order is always messed up.. am i doing something wrong?

Just to clarify, inside the CBR the pages are numbered in the correct order and without any silly name\character that could screw something (they're usually just like 001.jpg, 002.jpg, etc) and the SORT option in the conversion properties is disabled.

I really look forward to fix this because it's the only problem i had, and everything else is just plain perfect, so i basically just need to solve this to enjoy my readings.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank You!
arktoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #140
daleperchn
daleperchn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Problem converting cbr/cbz to pdf

First of all, I love your software, and I'll be making a donation shortly.

Second, I'm having a couple of minor issues when I'm converting cbz/cbr comics to pdf. When I try to convert in bulk, it looks like instead of using the preferences that I already have set up previously, the original defaults (like convert to black and white) are being used. This has been occurring on comics that I'm converting for the very first time, as well as comics that I'm re-converting. Before I re-convert, I'm also making sure that I've already removed the stored conversion settings.

When I do the bulk convert, I noticed that the comic input tab is totally missing on the left hand side. Is this a bug, or is it intentional? I'm wondering if that's why I'm reverting back to the original default settings that came initially with the program. If I convert the comics individually, the comic input tab appears, and it seems like it's grabbing my preferences, and everything works fine. It's just that I have a lot of comics to convert, and it's a slight pain to have to do each individually. Although I can definitely live with it if I have to (the software really is great!). I have one other minor issue, and I'm going to describe that in a separate post...

Thanks again for the great software!
daleperchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #141
daleperchn

Problem converting cbr/cbz to pdf - Part 2

The other issue I'm encountering when I'm converting cbr/cbz to pdf is in file naming. I want my output file name to be just the same as my original file name, except for the extension. When I do the conversion (either individually or bulk), the output always contains the author. In many instances, I'm also losing the end of my filename, such as the issue number of the comic.

I'm guessing that I need to modify the save template under the add/save tab to just include the title. So what do I need to put in? I've tried title, and {title}, but I still get the author in the output filename.

I also noticed that the add/save tab is missing whenever I do a conversion (both individual and bulk). Could that be impacting why my changes are not taking? Or am I doing something else wrong.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #142
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleperchn View Post
I'm guessing that I need to modify the save template under the add/save tab to just include the title. So what do I need to put in? I've tried title, and {title}, but I still get the author in the output filename.
You need to use Save to Disk.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #143
daleperchn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
You need to use Save to Disk.
Ah, I see. I was looking at and grabbing the output pdfs that were created after I did the conversion. I tried save to disk, and that works perfectly! Thanks a lot for setting me straight!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #144
daigo75
daigo75 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleperchn View Post
First of all, I love your software, and I'll be making a donation shortly.

Second, I'm having a couple of minor issues when I'm converting cbz/cbr comics to pdf. When I try to convert in bulk, it looks like instead of using the preferences that I already have set up previously, the original defaults (like convert to black and white) are being used. This has been occurring on comics that I'm converting for the very first time, as well as comics that I'm re-converting.
I think I have the same issue. I prepared a set of CBC files for my manga collection, and, when I converted them in bulk, I experienced two issues:
  • Sometimes, one or more files don't get converted. If I convert them one by one, instead, everything works.
  • The "Right to Left" Option seems to be ignored. I went to configuration and set it to "Enabled" by default, however I get pages split left to right in bulk convert, and (correctly) right to left in individual convert.

Edit: I think I found confirmation of the fact. I re-encoded CBC to my reader individually, and it came out 13 MB in size. Previous one, converted in bulk, was 40 MB. The smaller file is correct, since I configured export to JPG, while the bulk seems to have taken the export to PNG.

As a side note: I'm working on a script to automatically generate a CBC from a structure tree. Once it's stable enough I can give it to whoever could need it.

Thanks,

Last edited by daigo75; 08-11-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added details about file sizes when converted in bulk
daigo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #145
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can check exactly what settings are used in any conversion by clicking the rotating spinner and looking at the top of the job log.

I don't see this behavior of settings not being applied in bulk conversions.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #146
acidburn517
acidburn517 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Ipad
This has happened to me before as well. I discovered sometimes than when making the txt file for the CBC, I wouod sometimes put a cbr extension when the file was a cbz or vice versa and that would cause calibre to skip that file when making the cbc
acidburn517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #147
daigo75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can check exactly what settings are used in any conversion by clicking the rotating spinner and looking at the top of the job log.

I don't see this behavior of settings not being applied in bulk conversions.
Hi Kovidgoyal,
Thank you for the hint. I actually reproduced the error at the first shot. I attached the two log files of a batch conversion. The first contains the right parameters, but it failed. The second contains the wrong parameters (no right to left, output in png instead of jpg) and succeeded. The same happens with other CBC files, I just took these two as an example.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibre_ConversionLogs.zip (4.0 KB, 188 views)
Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #148
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they're both batch conversions, how is it they have different settings?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #149
daigo75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If they're both batch conversions, how is it they have different settings?
This is exactly what I'd like to figure out. They are the results of a single bulk conversion (two files selected, bulk convert), copied from the job queue.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #150
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you previously single converted one of those files, then the setting used in that conversion have precedence.

Tags
cbz, comic