Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2022, 02:16 AM   #1
dominover
dominover began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Sony PRS-T3 Alternative Firmware?

I have a Sony PRS-T3 Ebook reader. They're a fantastic ereader but unfortunately they can no longer connect to Kobo or Sony to get ebooks so it's become essentially useless.

I'm wondering if there have been any projects underway to create alternative firmware for these ereaders so that they can still load ebooks of some form?

I was hoping to find either firmware which would allot me to add ebooks from Kobo or another store,
Or
Firware which would let me drop ebooks into it, like you can with Kobo, so they can be read.

Thanks
dominover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want to move books to your T3 without a computer? If you have a computer you can add books via a USB cable or, I think, you could copy files to a microSD and move them to the Sony that way. I've had to use the USB method to move books to the T3 using Linux for quite a while now. I tried downloading some public domain eBooks from the T3's browser but I kept getting the "secure connection could not be established" error.

That said, I loaded ADE (and Sony and Kobo) on a Windows 10 computer and was able to borrow a book from Overdrive, open it with ADE, and drag it over to the Sony T3. I had already Adobe authorized the T3 with the Sony software. I guess that step was necessary. It's been so long since I used Windows for this that I'm not sure exactly what steps have to be taken. The book shows the proper number of days for return (14) so I guess Adobe is working right on it.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-04-2022 at 10:36 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2022, 10:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want to move books to your T3 without a computer? If you have a computer you can add books via a USB cable or, I think, you could copy files to a microSD and move them to the Sony that way. I've had to use the USB method to move books to the T3 using Linux for quite a while now. I tried downloading some public domain eBooks from the T3's browser but I kept getting the "secure connection could not be established" error.

That said, I loaded ADE (and Sony and Kobo) on a Windows 10 computer and was able to borrow a book from Overdrive, open it with ADE, and drag it over to the Sony T3. I had already Adobe authorized the T3 with the Sony software. I guess that step was necessary. It's been so long since I used Windows for this that I'm not sure exactly what steps have to be taken. The book shows the proper number of days for return (14) so I guess Adobe is working right on it.
eBooks can be side loaded using Calibre and collections can be managed with Calibre for the T3. So other then no WiFi downloads, side loading works perfectly well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:16 PM   #4
dominover
dominover began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

Obviously by using a computer.. How do you add books to the T3 using a computer if you can't connect to KOBO or any other bookstore? That's the whole point of me asking this. Kobo e-readers allow you to drop in PDF files and EPUB ebooks and the reader just includes them like any other book. Is there any way to do this with the T3? If not...then is there some alternative firmware I can flash/install onto it to allow me to do this?
dominover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2022, 02:41 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominover View Post
Obviously by using a computer.. How do you add books to the T3 using a computer if you can't connect to KOBO or any other bookstore? That's the whole point of me asking this. Kobo e-readers allow you to drop in PDF files and EPUB ebooks and the reader just includes them like any other book. Is there any way to do this with the T3? If not...then is there some alternative firmware I can flash/install onto it to allow me to do this?
Yes. Unless there is something wrong with your T3 you just connect it to the computer via USB and drop files into your "books" directory (Sony_Reader > media > books). What might be causing an issue is that the T3 opens two partitions — one is called SETUP (you don't move files into that one) the other is your normal eBook partition called "READER." For some reason the "SETUP" partition is the one that pops up when your first connect. Just eject that one and look for the one that says READER.

The Sony T3 works just like the Kobo in this regard. Just copy and paste books from the computer into the T3 (or drag and drop them).

As JSWolf says, you can also use Calibre if you want to organize your books. Calibre will recognize the T3. (If I've missed something, please let me know. I can be dense at times.)

Last edited by rcentros; 05-05-2022 at 02:44 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, ebook, ereader, firmware, prs-t3