Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.24.15672

Firmware 4.24.15672 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Firmware 4.24.15672

Kobo firmware 4.24.15672 has been released. As of September 23, 2020, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Nia, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, and the Kobo Libra H2O. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick Gaskin (geek1011). Source Code
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
bajillioneer
bajillioneer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Is it just me or the last two updates have been laggy and slower
bajillioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajillioneer View Post
Is it just me or the last two updates have been laggy and slower
I've not found 4.23.15548 to be laggy or slow(er). I've not tried the previous release that was for the Nia.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One update in 4.24.15672 that some may find interesting is that Kobo has updated most of the dictionaries and are now using Oxford except for the unilingual French dictionary which is still Merriam-Webster.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

reserved (I'll fill this in later)

TLDR: So far, I've found a lot of improvements related to both the dictionary handling and the TOC view. The TOC view has now implemented the functionality of the patch I made a while ago to increase the indentation (it now has a specific value for each device which is about 3x as wide as before). It also now bolds the active item instead of adding a gigantic checkmark beside it. And, custom dictionaries are now a first-class citizen (more on this and the other dictionary changes with the next dictutil release)!

Note that this release might take me a bit longer than usual since I'm very busy right now and I'll also need to look at everything to do with the dictionaries again.

I will be making notes about the new dictionary handling here: https://github.com/pgaskin/dictutil/issues/14

Also see here for technical information about this release and stuff related to the patches: https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch-patches/issues/76

Last edited by geek1011; 09-23-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Whoa! That was fast! Now to sync my Clara HD to get the update, and if I find any changes, I'll be sure to share screenshots.

EDIT: Doesn't yet show up on my Clara HD, nor my Glo HD, and both Auras. I'll manually sideload the update!

EDIT 2: It looks like Kobo's eReader team might've uploaded this update 1 week in advance, as I noticed a mention of 1 October 2020 in the release notes:

Quote:
What's new
  • We’ve revamped our Table of Contents and Annotations views
  • We've updated 18 of our current dictionaries and added 4 new ones (as of October 1, 2020):
    • Dutch-English
    • Dutch-French
    • French-Dutch
    • Swedish
I won't be taking screenshots of the dictionary menu, but will take screenshots of the TOC and annotation menus if I can.

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 09-23-2020 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Removed Edit 3, and added "might've" to Edit 2
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #8
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One update in 4.24.15672 that some may find interesting is that Kobo has updated most of the dictionaries and are now using Oxford except for the unilingual French dictionary which is still Merriam-Webster.
That's amazing news (for me).
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I believe you'll find that the dictionaries have yet to change; wait for October 1st.

Also this is the usual limited release, release so unless you manually install it you might not see it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe you'll find that the dictionaries have yet to change; wait for October 1st.
Ah! Thanks for the info! It probably has to do with licencing.

EDIT: I see them on my Clara HD after updating!
Old 09-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

I got screenshots once again! (Previous screenshot post here)

I've decided to not show the dictionary selection menu, but the new dictionaries are present!

What I will show are the new TOC and annotations views. In order to not risk copyright infringement, and because the book I'm currently reading contains tons of spoilers, I'll be using the "EPUB Feature Peeker" that user DomesticExtremis created a while back to demonstrate.

I realised I forgot to capture screenshots of the old view with the aforementioned 'book' before updating my Clara HD (as I originally wanted to capture it with the book I was currently reading), so I'll patch in those missing screenshots from my Glo HD. However, the former has had a config file change to make it use UK date formats, while the latter is still using US date formats that are used with the regular "English" UI language option, so that should explain why the date formats are different.

Here's the new "Table of contents" view! Just like with the library and store views in firmware 4.23, the "Go to" option is gone! (an example can be seen in my post for firmware 4.23 pre-revision) In the old view, the current chapter was indicated with a tick (or checkmark in US English), but in the new view, it's instead indicated with bold text.

The icons in the new "Annotations" view are larger. Here's the "List view".

Here's the "Notebook view".

The menus you get when tapping and holding remain the same, so does the view when tapping on a note in the "list" view.

There's a new "Notebook (beta) option, but I already see some visual bugs in that, however, I'll still show them here. Bugs in this new beta view include the chapter name being repeated for every annotation. Tapping on an annotation works just like the current "Notebook" view, in which it takes the user to the page the annotation is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_010 (2).png
Views:	868
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	182101   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_040 (2).png
Views:	756
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	182102   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_030.png
Views:	673
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	182104   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_015 (2).png
Views:	713
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	182105   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_020 (2).png
Views:	609
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	182106   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_034.png
Views:	601
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	182107   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_036.png
Views:	563
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	182108  

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 09-23-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Some very exciting new features here, now to decide whether to update asap or wait until the patches are ready - iow time to sickly o'er the native hue of resolution with the pale cast of thought .
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:30 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo has released firmware version 4.24.15672. This is supposed to be a small group to start with. I don't know if they will expand that, or release another update in a couple of weeks. The timings might be related to when the new dictionaries are available.

The changes that I know of are:
  • New dictionaries
    • There is a mix of vendors, but for English, the dictionary is coming from Oxford University Press.
    • Translation dictionaries: Dutch-English, Dutch-French, French-Dutch
    • Swedish has been added.
    • Some of the new dictionaries will not be available until the 1st of October.
  • Support for custom dictionaries
    • Put them in directory .kobo/custom-dict
    • Dictionaries can be added for new languages. The dictionary names are derived from the file names.
    • I think this should be considered the same as the Beta features. Or the hidden options in the config file. It is from Kobo, but, at this point at least, it won't get the same support as the core features.
  • ToC and Annotations lists
    • Share window with tab at top to swap between.
    • Scrollbar added
    • Page number removed
    • Annotations list has new beta Notebook view
    • ToC structure has changed:
      • Space at start removed
      • Bigger indentation for each level
      • Current chapter shown as bold, rather than a tick.
  • "Check for updates" added to Device information page of the settings
    • At the moment, it triggers a full sync.
    • This has been done mainly because they get questions about how to check for updates.
Calibre support
For calibre, there are no changes except to bump the supported firmware version. I will be making this change ready for the next release. This will be the release of calibre 5.0. For those who do not want to update the calibre version, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the drivers.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-25-2020 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Fix comment about custom dictionary names.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #14
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • "Check for updates" added to Device information page of the settings
    • At the moment, it triggers a full sync.
    • This has been done mainly because they get questions about how to check for updates.
I didn't notice that! Drat! Now I need to update my screenshot post!

EDIT:

Quote:
  • New dictionaries
    • There is a mix of vendors, but for English, the dictionary is coming from Oxford University Press.
    • Translation dictionaries: Dutch-English, Dutch-French, French-Dutch
    • Swedish has been added.
    • Some of the new dictionaries will not be available until the 1st of October.
The "About Kobo (model name)" page has been updated to include copyright information for those! English dictionary is from OUP, but the new Dutch dictionaries are from Van Dale, the same publisher as the existing English-Dutch dictionary. I can provide screenshots of that page if anyone wants.

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 09-23-2020 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Changed "mention" to "include" in edit 1
Old 09-23-2020, 11:09 PM   #15
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
  • Support for custom dictionaries
    • Put them in directory .kobo/custom-dict
    • For extra languages, add an "ExtraLocales" entry in config file with the list of language codes.
    • I think this should be considered the same as the Beta features. Or the hidden options in the config file. It is from Kobo, but, at this point at least, it won't get the same support as the core features.
To clarify one thing, the ExtraLocales isn't mandatory anymore. If you don't specify it, it will just use the zip filename as the dictionary name.

Also, if you do choose to use ExtraLocales, you won't need to use the patch anymore since the bug with language splitting for "Extra: " has been fixed.

Note that if you use the same locale as a built-in dictionary, it will not conflict since all custom ones matching a valid locale will have " (Custom)" appended to the name.

Also, the bug with custom dictionary sizes in the settings and with it saying it needs to sync has been fixed along with a bunch of other bugs related to dictionary lookup.

When you install this firmware version, it should automatically move your custom dictionaries.

I will add support for the new install method in dictutil later this week.

See the dictutil issue on GitHub I linked near the top of this thread for more details about this.

An internal detail which might be interesting is that there's a new dicthtml v3 format for built-in dictionaries (custom ones use v2). I'll be adding support to dictutil later, but it's a lower priority for me. This format adds a prefix_exceptions file (for the same reason as the dictutil workaround with duplicating variant entries) and a new option to set the credit text by adding a global zip archive comment. The word matching appears to be the same. It will work fine with existing v2 dictionaries, but v3 dictionaries which use prefix_exceptions will not be fully functional if used on older firmware versions.

Quote:
  • Space at start removed
  • Bigger indentation for each level
For anyone currently using my TOC patches, note that these changes are essentially the same thing, but built-in. I will be removing the two TOC patches and replacing them with one which allows you to change the indentation if you don't like the increased indentation.

Last edited by geek1011; 09-24-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Tags
firmware, firmware release