Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Damn, that's some faint praise

The Kobo store, dissing 4 of 6 authors featured, apparently.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The Kobo store, dissing 4 of 6 authors featured, apparently.
Perhaps they did not feel like being politically correct and changing the Oscar Wilde quote?

Would you have preferred "Anybody can make history. Only a great <insert non-excluding noun of your choice> can write it.

Oscar Wilde was very correct when he said “Give a man a mask and he will show his true face” looking at what anonymous posters have done to the Internet.

Even locally where the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League drafted a 15 year old girl as a skater. There have been female goaltenders drafted before but this is the first time a female has been drafted as a skater. Some of the comments were so far over the line, they would need the James Webb telescope to catch a glimpse of it. Reminded me of some of the fuss when Hayley Wickenheiser played in men's league games in Europe (Finland and Sweden if my memory serves me).
Old 05-20-2022, 01:05 PM   #3
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
…although the books by the female authors have higher ratings.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since they used the quote without attribution, using "person" would not have been unreasonable.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:08 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps they did not feel like being politically correct and changing the Oscar Wilde quote?

Would you have preferred "Anybody can make history. Only a great <insert non-excluding noun of your choice> can write it.
It’s not an either/or situation. Pick a different quote altogether, for gack’s sake. This reads as if they were trying to offend, the either/or being that or obtuseness beyond belief.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:11 PM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It’s not an either/or situation. Pick a different quote altogether, for gack’s sake. This reads as if they were trying to offend, the either/or being that or obtuseness beyond belief.
Exactly!
Old 05-20-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My general impression of the Kobo webpages is that the quality checks are… minimal? For instancet the Norwegian front page for months has had a large text saying "Must essential reading in all genres for less". Yeah, no one cares about Norwegian, but they should still fire their translator.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
My general impression of the Kobo webpages is that the quality checks are… minimal? For instancet the Norwegian front page for months has had a large text saying "Must essential reading in all genres for less". Yeah, no one cares about Norwegian, but they should still fire their translator.
Yes, my post was inspired by a similar view of Kobo's (in)competence. I felt reasonably certain that whoever came up with the marketing idea applied the exactly same meticulous care and attention to detail as Kobo does across its website
Old 05-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even aside from the arrant sexism, it’s such a tin-eared choice. The gulf between writing history and writing historical fiction is vast; Herodotus or Thucydides or Carlyle might be great; Georgette Heyer or John Jakes, not so much.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Even aside from the arrant sexism, it’s such a tin-eared choice.
Interesting - the word that sprang to my mind was "cloth-eared". Old-fashioned Indian English vs US English, perhaps?
Old 05-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Interesting - the word that sprang to my mind was "cloth-eared". Old-fashioned Indian English vs US English, perhaps?
The Indian as well as British term, to be sure! One of those words where I wouldn’t need it translated into Yank if I ran across it, but I’d never have identified the American term as one that needed translation in the mouth of a British or Indian or presumably other Commonwealth character.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
The Indian as well as British term, to be sure! One of those words where I wouldn’t need it translated into Yank if I ran across it, but I’d never have identified the American term as one that needed translation in the mouth of a British or Indian or presumably other Commonwealth character.
Oh, for sure - I understood it immediately.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Hark what have I stumbled upon, ‘tis a pebble writ large as a mountain. Pray the muses are kinder in the future to the scribe who dared scrawl such a thing, lest they doom said scribe to a cruel and certain end.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Hark what have I stumbled upon, ‘tis a pebble writ large as a mountain. Pray the muses are kinder in the future to the scribe who dared scrawl such a thing, lest they doom said scribe to a cruel and certain end.
No one’s blaming Wilde; they’re blaming Kobo.

And Wilde’s own “cruel and certain end” could easily be ascribed to the biases of his own time; no need to wait on the future.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:11 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
No one’s blaming Wilde; they’re blaming Kobo.

And Wilde’s own “cruel and certain end” could easily be ascribed to the biases of his own time; no need to wait on the future.
I was referring to the Kobo employee who opted to use the quote.

I stand by my statement of this being mountains out of molehills, pebbles more specifically.
Closed Thread