Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
ReLaunchX - file manager and launcher for e-Ink

ReLaunchX is a fully open source monochrome file manager/book manager designed for e-ink. It can be used as an Android launcher too.

ReLaunchX source is on GitHub. Builds are provided automatically (based on tag ReLaunchX_%version) by F-Droid though the best way is to download AndroidStudio and build the app yourself. Remeber that it has one submodule (see git submodule init, update, etc.).

App changelog is at the bottom of README on GitHub.

The story

I have found ReLaunch on F-Droid once I bought Onyx Max but it had compatibility issues. Nonetheless the design appeared to me more professional than the Onyx launcher so I decided to get my hands on it and quickly fix the bugs instead of spending weeks on developing something from scratch. I rebranded the fork since I have no way to test it on other devices and I thought of sharing it back on F-Droid. ReLaunchX was born
ReLaunchX 1.0.0 = ReLaunch 1.3.8

I mainly fixed bugs in the original app and did some little improvements so far. The app should be compatible with all devices where ReLaunch worked well. I'm happy using it as it is and from time to time I contribute a little to it when I have the time but I don't have any serious development plans for it.

Recently, the original ReLaunch was dropped from F-Droid as it was not maintained since 2006.

Enjoy

EDIT: Attaching latest build since F-Droid has some infrastructure issues and did not rebuild the app for a long time. I'm not going to keep the attachment up-to-date. You should always check F-Droid first for the latest version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ReLaunchX_2.1.2.apk.zip (365.9 KB, 3455 views)
File Type: zip ReLaunchX_2.1.5-app-debug.apk.zip (382.2 KB, 946 views)

Last edited by plusz; 12-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Hey I really appreciate your idea and hardwork. Will the ReLaunchX works with other devices like Netronix 13.3? Also, could you please post a link of your project?
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I think Relaunch was developed for the Nook ST on the XDA developer forum. I've been using it on a rooted Nook ST for years. It's extremely stable. The only fault is that it doesn't organize files by date. It's also odd that one cannot access the Relaunch config options except via the menu button on Button Saviour! In any case, it's an excellent option and the best user-interface I've found for Android e-ink (it is designed for e-ink, I believe).

edit: this is the XDA development thread for reference.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...n-1-4-t3060782
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm. Tell a lie. I think it was originally developed on the Russian site the-ebook.org

Translated: www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1278819#1278819

But it was originally for the Nook ST.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Another question: what version of Relaunch does RelaunchX base on? 1.4.4, 1.4.0, or the older one?
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Hello, sorry I've been quite busy recently...

My repo is here https://github.com/Leszek111/ReLaunchX

I have forked the code from the original git repo, ReLaunch version 1.3.8, though I have found about the Russian development and I have downloaded a software package zip named 1.4.4 from the Russian forum. I will soon compare it to my code and include whatever is useful from the off-github development fork.

The project was nice and quite stable out of the box so that's why I decided to just base on it and just fit&finish.

It should work well on Good-E-reader 13 as well but it will display the initial warning until I add the device to known devices.

Things fixed or changed so far:
- fixed crash on OS advanced settings window: sometimes reading the filesytem volume details got stuck or took a long time so Android flashed the window and killed the app
- fixed Android Status bar flip-flop: if you prefer to have the android status bar always visible there was a setting already available for that but it was broken on Android API 14 and newer - so on Boox Max the Android status bar disappeared every time I switched back from PDF.
- added few more file manager sorting options: sort by file extension, sort by modification date (I have to test it yet as it turned out all my PDF files were copied at once so sorting by date had no sensible effect)

Things to do:
- nice to have: modernize the project structure to use dedicated screen layouts for 13", definitely the OS related advanced settings window asks for dedicated design
- test the sort by date option...
- provide progress bar and fix file management operations (copy): when I have copied bigger file the popup about unresponsive app appeared but clicking "wait" let the app succeed eventually
- read how-to about publishing the apk on F-droid or elsewhere

PS. I didn't know about the xda thread. The original git repo was touched last time 6 years ago and the TODO file contain the message - sorry I left the project...
Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Hmmm. Tell a lie. I think it was originally developed on the Russian site the-ebook.org

Translated: www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1278819#1278819

But it was originally for the Nook ST.
If you look at the xda thread you will notice straight away that last time it was lead by Haron who's link point to a profile on the Russian web site www.the-ebook.org, no much details about him though...

Latest screen shots are quite interesting - the FTP and dropbox support is already there. I definitely must review the code and add whatever good is there to my github. It is sad that the Russian fellows kept the development outside of any version control. It would be much easier to compare the change log instead of the whole source tree at once. Good that they shared it anyway.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
plusz
Addict

I added the latest standalone source package on a separate branch
https://github.com/Leszek111/ReLaunc...Relaunch_1.4.4
Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
ericooo
ericooo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96 CML
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Thanks for restarting the project.
where to find the apk?
ericooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
What did you do to it?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
What did you do to it?
1. First, pure import of the sources shared on the forum as a zip package. You can see in the app changelog xml file which is displayed on the welcome screen that there was many revisions between 1.3.8 and 1.4.4 but all was done outside of github so on my github repo it looks like the sources changed all at one time.
2. Upgrade the project structure to latest AndroidStudio to compile and test the app.

On the Relaunch_1.4.4 branch I did not applied any customisation from my side, not even changed the name.

I have tested it and I'm not impressed at all by the newest version. There are some minor glitches in the app. I have also objections to the code quality so I not plan to merge it to mainstream. I will pick up few changes which are real improvements from that code in my next main version of ReLaunchX.

Last edited by plusz; 03-16-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:27 AM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
1. First, pure import of the sources shared on the forum as a zip package. You can see in the app changelog xml file which is displayed on the welcome screen that there was many revisions between 1.3.8 and 1.4.4 but all was done outside of github so on my github repo it looks like the sources changed all at one time.
2. Upgrade the project structure to latest AndroidStudio to compile and test the app.

On the Relaunch_1.4.4 branch I did not applied any customisation from my side, not even changed the name.

I have tested it and I'm not impressed at all by the newest version. There are some minor glitches in the app. I have also objections to the code quality so I not plan to merge it to mainstream. I will pick up few changes which are real improvements from that code in my next main version of ReLaunchX.
Are you planning to release it on google play?
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #13
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Are you planning to release it on google play?
I never thought about it. I have found the app on F-droid and I would like to add to F-droid an up to date version fully supporting Onyx Boox Max. I have not released any android app on google play yet. I am professional software developer but I don't live from developing mobile apps. It is just because I have found this app very helpful for me I posted about it. Now It is actually a fun for me to tinker with the code to improve the app quality (to fix any minor glitch), add platform (Onyx Boox Max) specific code and some useful stuff in the future. Here comes the hint, don't expect rapid changes, I may devote something around 10h a week for this fun activity. The code of the app started as open source GPLv2 so sharing the current source is essential.

Well, I understand your point. Most people never touch any software code, they just wish to have the app installed and google play seems to be a safe place to get any app from. I may opt to be kind enough to go through the procedure to setup google play account and submit the app but I have to learn how to do it which means I will need to devote the time for it. When I will think about official release my first preference will be F-droid. Everyone will be able to install the app directly from there by just downloading the apk file, like the old one https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...asoft.relaunch

If anyone is interested I may do just a few clicks to share the current apk through any cloud, dropbox for example, as a temporary means of sharing the 'release'.

Better yet, I would recommend to install the AndroidStudio, download the code and build/install it yourself. I am very very impressed how easy it became to build android app with AndroidStudio. Few years ago I developed an android app and the procedure was much more complicated, one had to download several tools and learn how to execute them in order. Now it is just as easy as open the project in AndroidStudio and click build

Last edited by plusz; 03-18-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
plusz
Addict

Version 1.1.0

I have finished a round of bugfixing. Made version 1.1.0.
New features:
- File Manager option to show a line with file details
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-setting.jpg
Views:	3092
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	155745

Name:	2-details.jpg
Views:	2948
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	155746
- Nice sorting options

Name:	3-sorting.jpg
Views:	3069
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	155747

If you would like to try, go to github and get the code, alternatively I attached the apk
ReLaunchX_1.1.0.zip
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
will it run / be useful on 8 or 9.7 inched android ebook readers ?
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote