Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #2776
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@kartu,

I'm afraid I can't claim to understand most of what you just said, but does it mean that you are going to try to port PRS+ to the PRS-T1 but that you're not sure how successful you'll be?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #2777
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@kartu,

I'm afraid I can't claim to understand most of what you just said, but does it mean that you are going to try to port PRS+ to the PRS-T1 but that you're not sure how successful you'll be?
As it stands now, port is simply impossible. Platform is too different.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #2778
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let me rephrase. Do you think you will be attempting to create a completely new PRSPlus MkII customised firmware written from scratch? or will it be too difficult?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #2779
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
I apologize if this has been asked before, but can PRS+ be installed on the PRS-900? Can I use the 950 installer for the 900?

I also noticed an uninstaller, does this put back the original firmware to the device?

Thanks for any help.

mokeiko
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #2780
oldhasbeen
Enthusiast
oldhasbeen doesn't litteroldhasbeen doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have PRS 950 with 2.0.14b mod. Love to read in hot tub and have the reader inside a zip lock bag to waterproof it. Problem is the infrared touch screen which is un-controllably upset due to reflectivity of the plastic bag. The settings to disable page turn and dictionary call up is ok without bag but not inside bag. Pages can change intermittently and sometimes race forward or backward like fired by a machine gun. Dictionary also pops up.
Coming from the hardware sector I looked at the IR signal as emitted from the vertical left and the horizontal top of the screen. In idling state short pulses in 28ms intervals are present and multiple pulses with changing pattern (not timing) are present at touch. To have my reading experience in the bath tub I cover now the receiver system at the left side right on top with approx. 3cm black insulation tape (no screen area needs to be covered - only the tapered black plastic between screen and aluminium panel, that is the IR part). The IR system is then reliably blocked with minimal extra pulse generation (battery conservation issue) and not upset by the zip lock bag. I hope a better software blocking method of the IR system can be found.
oldhasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #2781
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhasbeen View Post
I hope a better software blocking method of the IR system can be found.
So far they have not attempted to block all IR functions, just the basic swipe and the double tap. There are still a slew of functions that work as you well know from your experience.

From your long post I take it you would like the developers of PRS+ to see if there is a way to inhibit all IR functions so you can read in peace while soaking.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #2782
oldhasbeen
Enthusiast
oldhasbeen doesn't litteroldhasbeen doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@ dwanthny
From your long post I take it you would like the developers of PRS+ to see if there is a way to inhibit all IR functions so you can read in peace while soaking.

Yes - with a cool icon of a hot tub !!!
oldhasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #2783
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We aren't done with touchscreen yet, guys, there is more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Let me rephrase. Do you think you will be attempting to create a completely new PRSPlus MkII customised firmware written from scratch? or will it be too difficult?
Yes I'll attempt to at least add folder support. It will also be integrated into standard UI, as with current PRS+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeiko View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before, but can PRS+ be installed on the PRS-900? Can I use the 950 installer for the 900?
You can't, sorry, 900 is not supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeiko View Post
I also noticed an uninstaller, does this put back the original firmware to the device?
Yes
Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #2784
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Kartu, if the new PRS-T1 is running Android, will it be possible to add/run apk's on the device? There are plenty of android file managers out there after all.

If one could "root" the device and get ADB working...

Last edited by sherman; 10-11-2011 at 04:51 AM.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #2785
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Kartu, if the new PRS-T1 is running Android, will it be possible to add/run apk's on the device? There are plenty of android file managers out there after all.

If one could "root" the device and get ADB working...
Since you can flash anything you want, you can "root" it.
Adding apk's is certainly possible (although probably not without having to reflash)

PS
Sure file managers exist. But using them is not necessarily the most comfortable way of choosing books.

Last edited by kartu; 10-11-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #2786
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I know when I was using the Nook, adding apk's to a rooted nook was simply a matter of (from memory) adb push command. I guess it depends on how the system partition is configured as to whether this will be possible on the T1?

Note: I'm no developer, so I could be talking rubbish here.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #2787
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
JvdW
You can chain it with other command to create a dummy file. Say:

rm -R / opt0/prsp && echo "success">success.txt

PS
Do you have 2.0.14b or a custom build?
2.0.14b
And I'll try you suggestion.

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #2788
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I know when I was using the Nook, adding apk's to a rooted nook was simply a matter of (from memory) adb push command. I guess it depends on how the system partition is configured as to whether this will be possible on the T1?

Note: I'm no developer, so I could be talking rubbish here.
I'm just not sure that folder with apk/odex files is writable.
Besides adb is not running yet to my knowledge, porkupan was working on it.
I'm very new to android platform and might miss something.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #2789
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

PRS-T1 and fonts

@kartu, I wonder if I could ask for your help?

First a bit of background...
I have just received my PRS-T1 and am playing around with the fonts. Whilst the included serif fonts (Amasis, Palatino nova, and Really No2) are not bad at all the implementation appears to be poor. Bold and/or italic text seems to be mostly (but not always) changed to regular if you try to use any of the 3 included serifs.

I am a big fan of PRS+'s font capabilities and the PRS-T1 is definitely a step backwards for anyone who is used to using PRS+ for font customisation.

I haven't finished testing yet but the retention of italics seems rather random. There may be a predictable pattern but I haven't found it yet. So far, Bold and BoldItalic have always been lost.
[Edit:]occasionally Bold is retained in headings
[Edit2:]Having done more testing retention of bold and italics seems to be completely random unless you select font=Original

There is better news if you want to manually embed fonts. This appears to work but of course takes manual effort. I've only tried one epub so far.

Now, finally, for the help...
I know the PRS+ method of having both customised fonts and css on the device will not work but I thought I'd try the old halfway-house method of storing the ttf files on the device and adding the @font-face css to each epub. So far this is not working. It may well be that the old internal memory root location actually being res:///Data is no longer correct. I am wondering whether you know what it has changed to?

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-11-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #2790
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
We aren't done with touchscreen yet, guys, there is more to come.

Yes I'll attempt to at least add folder support. It will also be integrated into standard UI, as with current PRS+.

You can't, sorry, 900 is not supported.

Yes
Thank you Kartu
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote