Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Windows 7 upgrade to 2.16 issue

When upgrading 2.11 to 2.16 on Win7 (64bit), I got a message that the installer couldn't find calibre-2.9.0.msi and I had to cancel the installation. When I restarted Calibre, it seemed to have been successfully upgraded to 2.16.

Anyone got any idea what would cause this to happen? Why would it go looking for the 2.9 installer? Everything seems fine -- just curious!
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Just upgraded from 2.16 to 2.17 -- same thing happened. "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'calibre-2.9.0.msi' in the box below."

I have no idea which feature would require access to such an old instaler. Seems like I'm just going to have to try and download it to find out...
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is because of the braindead way Microsoft handles upgrades. If the upgrade works, don't worry about it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Phssthpok - IIRC there was a glitch last year with an upgrade to the msi installer that induced this sort of behaviour - it was fixed in the next set of WU patches. There's free standing fix somewhere at MS, but if your windows is up to date and you didn't discard/hide the patch you should have it.

Or something changed on your system at some stage to make the installer think you run calibre from a server. The installer uses the data from previous installs so that it can apply the same customisations. Try uninstalling calibre and then running a lightweight registry cleaner such cCleaner.

But please don't use Revo Uninstaller, given half a chance it will remove your calibre configuration data. If you haven't got a backup of it then... hint ==>> How do I backup calibre? ( click) - see para 3.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-28-2015 at 02:45 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Ah, sod it, I just downloaded 2.9.0 and that shuts it up. I'll move 2.9.0 to another directory next time I upgrade and see if it shouts again.

I should have known it would be Microsoft's fault...
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Ah, sod it, I just downloaded 2.9.0 and that shuts it up. I'll move 2.9.0 to another directory next time I upgrade and see if it shouts again...
Instead of moving just 2.9 to another directory before upgrading (which, unless you have good reason to suspect this will fix the problem, may just muddy the waters for further diagnosis) try, if not done already, Control Panel>Programs and Features, select Calibre and select Repair. When the repair is completed try installing the upgrade.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Ah, sod it, I just downloaded 2.9.0 and that shuts it up. I'll move 2.9.0 to another directory next time I upgrade and see if it shouts again.

I should have known it would be Microsoft's fault...
@Phssthpok - What AnotherCat said

Another choice would be to use calibre portable.
  1. You'd probably want to put ...\Calibre Portable\Calibre in the %PATH% environment variable and remove anything that's there now for calibre.
  2. If you want to keep your libraries where they are now, then put symlinks to them in the ...\Calibre Portable directory. You create can create symlinks with the MKLINK utility.
  3. If you want to keep your current settings then delete everything in the ...\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings directory and copy the contents of the %appdata%\calibre directory there.
  4. You can then uninstall calibre, and remove the %appdata%\calibre directory
The only downside relates to conversion of very large books, calibre portable is the 32bit build. AFAIK the only advantage of 64bit calibre is in the conversion of very large books - bibles etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-29-2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: ack AnotherCat
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote