Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I have a couple of comment;

First off the Sony Daily Reader has come down in price to $349. So that is a $50 reduction in price. As other have said, the price includes the nice cover and carrying case. I did not check as as many other readers as you did. I figured I would rather stick with a more popular E Reader due to the amount of users, and support. Who knows if these company's who make these other E readers will be in business in the next 2 years.

I did not like the back cover of the Nook as it felt loose and rubbery. I also did not like the smaller screen and a very small area to type. Not to mention the bug issues that still are around in the latest version.

In regards to the I Pad, the $499 price is the bare basic version which I would never want. If you want wifi plus 3G the basic version is $629. You can buy a small Sony note book now in that price range. Plus the I Pad is too big for me.

I had the same problem with the dictionary when I first purchased it. I found the settings button (when tech support walked me through) and confirmed I had the dictionary turned on. Then I also realized that the dictionary shows up on the bottom of the screen, not in front of the work where you tapped.

As I said on another thread, if I focus on the glare issue on my I phone it can distract me. I have found so far on the Sony Daily Reader that with just moving the screen a little, the annoying glare goes away. So the glare issue is not much of a problem for me. Yes the Kindle reader is a little easier to read, but the Daily Reader is still readable, so it's not an issue for me. I am sure Sony will have a new E Reader with in the next year with a screen that has less glare, but the 900 is good enough for me. I love it. I also am glad I could engrave my name at the button and put one of my favorite saying underneath my name.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Problem Fixed... cockpit error!

My dictionary lookup is working just fine... I just wasn't double tapping the word I wanted to look up fast enough. And I guess my fat little fingers don't do the job as well as the stylus does! All AOK with the Sony PRS900! I'm still in love.
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
sagiquarion
sagiquarion began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo, PRS-900 DE
Jack,

Have you had a chance to compare the prs900 to the bebook neo/boox60 and/or the irex800? Those devices are very close in function but from what I understand the boox and irex do not offer anything close to the slick dictionary look up as on the 900. I guess I'll try to find a cheap prs900 on ebay. That is the only way I'm going to be able to tolerate the screen annoyance.
sagiquarion is offline   Reply With Quote