Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Can't access one folder in touch HD

I've got a Touch HD for Christmas (rebranded by the French brand Tea if that matters).

Today I transferred most of my ebooks to it via Calibre. I have instructed calibre to send the books to specific folders according to the genre of the book (by creating a specific column with values that I defined myself to choose from).

Everything went well except that there's one folder I can't access on the device while in folder view. If I click on the folder it briefly opens it before reverting to a previous folder or to the all books view.

The folder is called Nonfiction so there's no problem of special characters or anything.
When I plug the device to my computer I can access this folder fine. I ran fsck on the device (my computer uses Linux) and it returned no errors.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on?
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:42 AM   #2
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Did you try the same with an Micro-SD card?
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 02:13 AM   #3
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

I don't have a micro SD card. Plus I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "try the same" exactly?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1)
The internal memory of the Touch HD is on a MicroSD on the mainboard. The accessable data partition is one of 6 or 7, which are on this card. Filesystem checks and repairs from the outside have proven to bee not reliable.
Experience with others models have shown that this solution (MicroSD cards as internal memory) is not as reliable as hoped and often the signs for failing internal cards are not really good to read. The only way to find out if the internal MicroSD is corrupted is to open the device, take the thing out and check it unmounted on a Linux machine. Since the TouchHD is glued together, this is a risky process I would not recommend. This comes together with the fact, that cloning of the internal MicroSD is almost impossible.

2)
Knowing the above I tend to keep my books on an external MicroSD to reduce the chances of an internal MicroSD failure. If my system would show some symptoms of corruption, regarding the internal filesystem, I would try to recreate the same settings with an external microsSD and delete all the books from the internal system, to find out, if the problem still persists. There may be other logic ways to try to find a bug in the filesystem but this is what I would do.

3)
Keeping the 1)&2) in mind I think it is a quite cheap solution to buy a MicroSD card.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
chlorine
Addict

Thanks for your detailed answer.
In the meantime I've been able to plug my touch HD to a windows computer, who detected errors on the filesystem. I ran the correction utilities, which declared it corrected things but I still can't access the problematic folder from the device.

Your advice concerning an SD card is sound and I'll really consider that. In the meantime I'll try to bring myself to contact consumer service as it irks me to have this kind of problems on a brand new device.
Advert
Old 01-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru

Good decision.
I'm quite sure they will ask you to reset the device as first step.
Sometimes this could help since the data partition will be deleted.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
chlorine
Addict

You are spot on!
I contacted the customer service (they have an email contact which makes this much more convenient for me than by phone), and they replied that they recommend a formatting of the internal memory.
In the meantime I've gotten hold of an SD card so I'll store by books on it in the future.