Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
penumbria
penumbria began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet & Kindle Fire using Google Play store
CC not connecting to comp running Calibre Portable (usb drive)

I am trying to connect wireless device sync books from my laptop. I have been using cc and calibre for years but due to space issues on my laptop, I've changed to Calibre portable on a USB drive. But now I can't connect to the device. Is it because the USB drive is plugged in?

I mostly use cc for fanfiction and it is updating daily and I need to sync books. I am not totally tech savvy and don't understand a lot of the more technical points made in the FAQ. I did try the port and IP connection thing and no luck.

How to make it work? Should I try content server instead? And if so, will it sync and update the changes to the epubs? Thanks
penumbria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by penumbria View Post
I am trying to connect wireless device sync books from my laptop. I have been using cc and calibre for years but due to space issues on my laptop, I've changed to Calibre portable on a USB drive. But now I can't connect to the device. Is it because the USB drive is plugged in?

I mostly use cc for fanfiction and it is updating daily and I need to sync books. I am not totally tech savvy and don't understand a lot of the more technical points made in the FAQ. I did try the port and IP connection thing and no luck.

How to make it work? Should I try content server instead? And if so, will it sync and update the changes to the epubs? Thanks
What does CC say when you try to connect? Does it time out or does it say something else?

My guess is that the firewall is blocking CC from accessing calibre-portable.

Does the CC content server connection work? Regardless, it won't do what you want. It doesn't automatically update metadata and there is no sync books option.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
penumbria

It brings up a box that is headed "Failed to Connect" and then a long paragraph that talks about if you specified an IP address it is wrong. If you didn't check that wifi is working.

I checked the firewall and added calibre portable to permitted and still the same
Old 01-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What I understand is on the same laptop:
  • If you use calibre (not portable) then both the wireless device and the content server connections work. We don't know whether it stops working if the USB drive is plugged in.
  • If you use calibre-portable on the USB drive then the wireless device connection does not work. We don't know whether the content server connection works.
  • We don't know whether connections work when using calibre-portable installed on the laptop's disk.
  • We don't know if things will work if the firewall is disabled.
At this point it is impossible to debug what is going on. Providing answers to the "we don't know"s above will help pinpoint possible problem areas.

I might learn more if you send me debug logs for both calibre and CC, but perhaps not. For example, debug logs won't tell me whether some antivirus is blocking connections, whether the firewall exception is actually being applied. It will tell me if calibre is seeing connection requests.

What does calibre's "debug device detection" report?

Do you "space issues" prevent you from running calibre (installed) with the library on the portable drive?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
penumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What I understand is on the same laptop:
  • If you use calibre (not portable) then both the wireless device and the content server connections work. We don't know whether it stops working if the USB drive is plugged in.
  • If you use calibre-portable on the USB drive then the wireless device connection does not work. We don't know whether the content server connection works.
  • We don't know whether connections work when using calibre-portable installed on the laptop's disk.
  • We don't know if things will work if the firewall is disabled.
At this point it is impossible to debug what is going on. Providing answers to the "we don't know"s above will help pinpoint possible problem areas.

I might learn more if you send me debug logs for both calibre and CC, but perhaps not. For example, debug logs won't tell me whether some antivirus is blocking connections, whether the firewall exception is actually being applied. It will tell me if calibre is seeing connection requests.

What does calibre's "debug device detection" report?

Do you "space issues" prevent you from running calibre (installed) with the library on the portable drive?
Well, one of the issues was the firewall on my virus protection which just changed. But trying to do it from the USB drive still wasn't working right, it just was taking so long it would time out when I lowered the firewall. I had to reinstall the program on the laptop and the library too. But not some other stuff, so I can get it to work now. Thanks.
Advert

Tags
calibre portable, syncing, wireless connection