Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
NeonHD
NeonHD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC + Calibre
Angry Converting AZW3 book to PDF results in messed up format

Hi, so there is really no way to give a TLDR version of this, so please bear with me as I'll explain everything.

PURPOSE:

So recently my mom bought this book from Amazon to read via the Kindle for PC app, BUT the font was too small and there was no way to zoom in. I think this is due to it for showing two pages. I have absolutely no clue if it's giving me a two-page view or if the two pages are actually glued together as one. Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about (since pictures speak more than words): http://imgur.com/a/U9TCo

So I took the courage to manually deDRM the book in Calibre and convert it to PDF so that my mom can use Adobe reader instead to zoom in.

THE PROBLEM:

BUT, by doing this yielded many complications:
1) The book was heavy on pictures and custom backgrounds and so it DID NOT format well. Some pictures seem to be distorted and out of place.
2) Text is all over the place. Paragraphs do not stay in their supposed margins and some text is off the screen.
3) There are many white blank pages which I have no idea why.
4) And all in all everything is spaced very far apart which is pretty much the main reason why everything's a mess.

I tried messing with all the settings and options (e.g. Look and Feel, Heuristic Processing, Page Setup, etc.) and still ended up either the same or worse.

WHAT I WANT:

To be honest, I am a complete newbie who knows absolutely nothing about formatting in CSS or HTML or whatever (If I did I probably would've used some better vocab to explain all this, I don't even know if I used the word "margin" correctly), so I was just hoping that maybe some of you guys here will help do this for me. ALL the files will be attached below and embedded in the post. If not then that is okay, I just need someone to fully understand my situation and to guide me, that would be great!

EXTERNAL LINKS

Moderator Notice
Links to copyrighted material deleted. This is in violation of the Mobilread guidelines. This is your only warning.

P.S. I've heard that PDF is an awful format to convert to/from, so I tried converting AZW3 to EPUB but it still has the exact same formatting issues. I thought everything was going to be a breeze based from my previous AZW4 to PDF conversion of a textbook which was a success.

Last edited by theducks; 07-21-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Delete links to copyrighted material
NeonHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your source azw3 file is likely a fixed layout file, these are not supported by calibre. They suffer all the same problems as trying to convert PDF files.

And incidentally, converting to PDF is fine. Converting from PDF is not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 12:54 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHD View Post
[. . .] I thought everything was going to be a breeze based from my previous AZW4 to PDF conversion of a textbook which was a success.
Here's why that was ==>> MobileRead Wiki - AZW4

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Should you ever wish to "convert" a Print Replica (AZW4) book again, use the "KindleUnpack" plugin. This will directly extract the PDF file from the AZW4 with no conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, conversion, error, format, pdf