Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
tbrosz
tbrosz is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle keyboard
DOCX conversion of images to EPUB/Mobi: preserve aspect ratio?

I'm impressed by the performance so far of the new DOCX option for conversion input.

One problem I have is while there is a "preserve aspect ratio" option for cover images during conversion (thanks!), there isn't one for internal images, and I have several images in the body of the text that keep "stretching" to fit whatever viewer I'm using.

Would it be possible to add a "preserve aspect ratio for all images" function for conversion to EPUB and Mobi?
tbrosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The cover image is generated by calibre, internal images are from the docx file. If the docx file has them setup to preserve aspect ratio, the aspect ratio will be preserved in the output as well, and if not, it wont.

See for example the demo file which shows images whose aspect ratio is preserved: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...word-documents
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
tbrosz

Thanks!

I have checked "lock aspect ratio" under the "size" function of the picture, but it has no effect on the final. I also noticed

I've done some experimenting, and one problem seems to be pictures that are resized in Word from larger originals. Shrinking the picture to something closer to the e-reader display size (while retaining 300 dpi) seems to help.

The EPUB cover ("preserve cover aspect ratio" checked) behaves ideally. When you change the viewer window size, the image changes size in exact proportion instead of stretching or thinning out. Not sure what specific coding is doing this, but it's what I want.

I notice the Mobi conversion doesn't preserve the fixed aspect ratio of the cover like the EPUB file does, but has a cover that stretches like the other images. This is true whether I convert from DOCX or from the "preserve cover aspect ratio" EPUB file.

I hope the programmers take a look at this.

Thank you for your time.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
tbrosz

From what I can tell based on my limited coding ability, the cover seems to be inserted into the epub file by using an "svg" command (instead of an "img src" command), instructing the image to fill a specific space.

Is this part of the "preserve cover aspect ratio" command?

Tags
aspect ratio, docx, epub, image, mobi