Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
NewbDummy
NewbDummy began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
'Missing OPF package File'

Hi all.
I imported my library in full in Calibre to correct metadatas, add covers, etc, saved everything on the disk and got for each ebook 3 files (epub, opf, jpg).
My concern is that when I want to import these files generated by Calibre itself on another computer, allways in Calibre, for an unknown reason, a fair amount of opf files are not saved in the folders of the new library
Hence, trying to send these books to my current device causes the error stated in the title ... Obviously, would you say, as it's indeed missing ...
But, do you see any reason why some are saved and other ones not (I modified all of them) ?
And is there a way to automatically generate the missing opf files ?
Many thanks for your help.
Regards
NewbDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The opf files are only a backup of the data in the metadata.db file so are not strictly speaking necessary. They are created so that if the metdata.db file gets corrupted it can be rebuilt from the .opf files.

I suspect that your error message is a by-product of something else you are doing. You probably need to provide more information on how you are getting the books out of caslibe on the first machine, and adding them on the second one.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
NewbDummy

Hi Itimpi.
The operation has been done one shot.
I don't know what to provide as additional information : once all books selected, I used the feature 'Save to disk in unique folder' (approx. translation : I use the french version), this folder is on a mobile drive that I plugged into the other machine.
Started Calibre on this second machine and chose 'add books (each file is a different book)', this created a new library on local HDD, and when I had for each book on my mobile drive 3 files including systematically an opf one, non all of them have been re-created on the new library.
I could live without these files, but when I try to use the feature 'Send to device', from this new library to My Ipad, it runs only for books that own in their folder a separate metadata file.
When this file (.opf) is missing, the copy stops with error msg 'missing OPF package file'.
I don't think I'm doing anything exotic ...
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
since the OPF file (in the book folder, not always the same inside the book) is the result of Calibre Metadata. Simply fix the data in Calibre.

As others have stated. this file is for Calibre recovery purposes.
You really should use care in what (if any changes) you make to files in the Library folder, and NEVER touch the file name.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
NewbDummy

Hi Theducks.
Think I should have stated this first, but I didn't make no one change to the files between the actions through Calibre (basically one export by 'Save', one import by 'Add'.
I understood that .opf shouln't be mandatory as metadata are already included in the epub itself, but this is the error message I get : see attached.
This is frustrating because as I wrote, I didn't make anything manually; the epub file has been saved with calibre, and added to a new calibre library.
Any idea about the error message ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ErrMsg.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	95380  
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error means the OPF file is missing from *inside* the epub. In other words the epub file is invalid.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
NewbDummy

Hi Kovid.
Many thanks for your development work on Calibre, and for your answer.
Should I understand that Calibre reads the epub file, accepts metadata modifications and saves the file on another drive location, all those actions with a corrupted/invalid file ?
I'm a bit surprised ... but newbie+dummy I can only bow to that.
Does it involve the epub files are definitly dead, or is there a way to repair ?
Regards.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that message IS complaining about a malformed EPUB and not the OPF found in the books folder.

When you Save To.. or Send... , Calibre updates the internal file of the COPY.
I was going to say 'You might run the Quality Check (optional) PI ' but I don't see a specific test for a malformed OPF , but I see that is not a choice (it may still Barf on other OPF checks, which may be enough info )
Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbDummy View Post
Hi Kovid.
Many thanks for your development work on Calibre, and for your answer.
Should I understand that Calibre reads the epub file, accepts metadata modifications and saves the file on another drive location, all those actions with a corrupted/invalid file ?
I'm a bit surprised ... but newbie+dummy I can only bow to that.
Does it involve the epub files are definitly dead, or is there a way to repair ?
Regards.
Try and Edit with Sigil. The problem is the play order is part of the OPF so you may have to drag the files (the book browser) into the correct order, then save.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@NewbDummy - when you first imported your books, and before you edited the metadata and attached covers etc - could you read the books with Calibre's EPUB Viewer, and did the text flow correctly etc

@theducks - I'm thinking that the problem may lie with the original epubs and not whats been done with/to them since.

I downloaded a free epub, when I tried to read with the viewer it was jumbled up, I spent a bit of time fiddling, got nowhere, removed it and moved on. It was a study from a Berlin Quango, downloaded out of curiosity - eventually found the PDF version, at a Brussels Quango

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote