Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast
Dixiemsala began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 350, Kindle 2
350 froze--anyone else encounter this?

As I was close to finishing my third book on my new 350, the screen froze. I tried everything that I could think of--pushing every button, swiping-touching everything, tried to put it to sleep, tried to turn it off, tried to re-set it--a couple of times the screen switched and looked weird, but nothing would unlock it. And then, I plugged it into my computer and it started working again.

Has anyone else had this happen? Guess next time I'll go straight to my computer. However, in case I'm not home with the computer, what to do?
Dixiemsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Since it takes no battery to maintain the current screen image, an empty battery looks just like a "freeze" as far as someone using the reader is concerned. Plugging in into the computer probably charged it up a bit.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
^^ Is it a brand new reader? The battery gauge might not be calibrated yet. It's possible you had a dead/dying battery but the meter was showing a charge.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast

I've had the 350 for about 1 1/2 weeks. I fully charged it when I got it; then charged it again when it showed a half charge. I don't think that it could have been the battery since it was showing 3/4 of a charge and I only hooked it up to the computer for a second or so. Since then, I've been reading (finishing the book that I was on).

I was about 5 minutes away from taking it back to Best Buy for an exchange. I really like this thing!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
It usually takes a few charging cycles (not necessarily a full discharge, but a few times of partially depleting the battery and charging it again) before the battery meter accurately shows the charge level. That's not unique to Sony; it's the way this type of battery works.

So if you'd only charged it once, odds are the meter wasn't calibrated.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast

Thanks to all. And, I also read another thread about this. Perhaps I should use my Kindle charger rather than the USB to charge it. However, I did set my computer so that the screen saver wouldn't come on, thus preventing the Sony from going into sleep mode during charging. It didn't seem to take all that long--a couple of hours.