Old 07-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
New delay?

Hi!

I just came across this: http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C8849/

It says that the Sony Reader is delayed at least to the end of the year.

leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not again! Do they want me to buy an iLiad or what?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Nothing new here:

Quote:
The Sony Reader had been delayed yet again, and likely won’t show up before the end of the year.
We knew that already.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I thought it supposed to be released around October, but this sounds more like December.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I disagree with the magazine's guess about the cause of the delay; we know working models of this thing have gotten into some reviewer's hands; cnet did a piece on it, and John Dvorak had one in an installment of Cranky Geeks.

I will bet dollars for donuts that content for the Connect store, or the software for the store itself, is the issue.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think we should take what these guys say well-salted -- note that they claim there are "no specific hints as to the eventual retail price." Well, I suppose that Sony's SRP of $350 does qualify as more of a flat-out statement than a hint, but if they're that inattentive....

I'd guess that they saw that the summer update e-mail says "in time for the Holidays" and decided that that means the end of the year. Maybe the only holiday they're aware of is New Year's Eve?

I've found indications that the date PC Magazine mentioned (end of October) is the more reliable time-frame.

BTW, I've also seen some suggestion that the August date was colonically generated by Sony Style (the division that controls the website , rather than coming from Sony Electronics (the division that is actually making the Reader), and that the October was more in line with Sony Electronic's plan. I can't tell though if the spring to fall change was something similar, or was a genuine delay. (shrug)

I think it was a genuine delay, given the indications that I mentioned earlier that they appear to be doing some sort of QA double-check.

While I've seen where rmeister0's suspicion of the Connect Store came from, and I respect his thinking on that (even find it somewhat compelling), I haven't been able to find any other indication that the Connect Store might be the issue. Course that could just mean that I haven't found any other indication.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
"Colonically generated".

Snicker. I like that one.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift
"Colonically generated".

Snicker. I like that one.
I used to use it a lot more when I worked in the semi-conductor industry -- they almost never clicked to it. Now that I'm in a medical environment ....

On the other hand, now I can tell users that they have a wet-ware problem and it never occurs to them that I'm saying they messed up.

It's all about the trade-offs.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote