Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisix View Post
8 downloads no comment?

is it usable for anybody?

chris
Sorry, I got caught up in a lot of different things and yesterday I found a lot of PDF that I can use your script on. Will let you know how it goes but it don't expect it today or tomorrow. Today its far to hot to do anything but

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #47
jotun
jotun began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey Chris.

I had to register just to reply!

Your script works great! Well, actually, to start off with it didn't really work at all. It kept spitting out weird characters, but then I changed my regional setting/non unicode setting?? in windows and now it works like a charm.

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

J.
jotun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #48
chrisix
Enthusiast
chrisix began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotun View Post
Hey Chris.

I had to register just to reply!

Your script works great! Well, actually, to start off with it didn't really work at all. It kept spitting out weird characters, but then I changed my regional setting/non unicode setting?? in windows and now it works like a charm.

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

J.
thanx jotun, good to hear
chrisix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #49
eiben
eiben began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am just trying out eLibrary and just wanted to ask, what sort of regular expression would I need in calibre to match Title_Num_Isbn from eLibrary?

I can't get my head around the python code.
eiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #50
bazbar
bazbar is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad
For anyone who cares this is how I finally got the many thousands of ISBNs I had in my unorganized ebooks into Calibre on Windows. This is a giant pain in the ass and I might have missed some steps that I went through but at least this might save you a little time. It is better than getting a repetitive stress injury by doing it all by hand (I know, I did about 2000 books by hand before I gave up on that nonsense).

Again, if anyone cares, I feel like ISBN recognition should be a core attribute of any software that is trying to organize ebooks - it is the critical piece of information that allows for proper organization and recognizing it should be as automated as possible. If you don't want to make it happen automatically at least make it an option or somehow build this Python script I'm running into the system so we can choose to run it on our libraries without all of the nonsense below? Anyway, my $.02. Goodluck to anyone else trying.

-------
Download pdftotext from foolabs.com:
ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.02pl4-win32.zip
Extract the contents, or pdftotext.exe alone, to a directory. Add the directory to your path.

1) download and install Python 2.6. do not use a newer version since you will need binary distributions of packages that don't exist for newer versions.
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.6/python-2.6.6.msi

2) install setuptools that works with Python 2.6
http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/...f9589aafe053dc

3) install binary of lxml that works with Python 2.6
http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/...145e15a7b878fb

3a) if the binary above failed with an error about a missing dll then download that dll from the web and put it in the same directory as the exe (awesome, right? I know. I love downloading random dlls because they don't include the visual c distribution stuff)

4) set enviornment variables - make sure the following are all in your path:
C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\Python26\Scripts;

5) open command prompt and try 'easy_install mekk.calibre'

5a) if step 5 fails with some kind of error then you probably need to install a compiler - I used MinGW:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ming...9.exe/download
When that runs if you have options make sure you include gcc and MAKE (I think I selected them all but I don't think you need to)

5b) tell easy_install to use the MinGW compiler
This is done by creating a file called "distutils.cfg" at C:\Python26\Lib\distutils that contains following:
Code:
[build]
compiler=mingw32
add MinGW to the path: c:\MinGW\bin;

5c) close command prompt, reopen, retry easy_install mekk.calibre

6) edit .calibre-utils file (if it exists for you) - it should be in your C:\Documents and Settings\<user> folder or similar based on operating system. If you didn't install one of the commands listed then set it to nothing like so:
catdoc =
archmage =
djvutxt =
calibredb = calibredb
pdftotext = pdftotext

Make sure to keep the calibredb line (Calibre should already be in the path). I only have pdftotext working in mine. If it doesn't exist then run the program once, it will likely error out eventually when it finds a missing command, then track down the config file and edit it.

7) run calibre_guess_and_add_isbn (or any of the other options in mekk's script)
-----

automatic ISBN recognition win32 windows calibre

Last edited by bazbar; 09-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.
bazbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #51
leschaps
leschaps began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazbar View Post
For anyone who cares this is how I finally got the many thousands of ISBNs I had in my unorganized ebooks into Calibre on Windows.
I care, Bazbar.

Works great as directed. Thanks, and thanks to everyone else who has contributed to this solution.
leschaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #52
theomeier
theomeier began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Clarification of How-To calibre script install for non-Linux and non-Phyton nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazbar View Post
"Add the directory to your path."
"...make sure the following are all in your path:"

"...command prompt..."

You have been a life saver for us non-Linux and non-Pypthon user.
For those a clarification might be in order:
- path here means to set the windows PATH environment variable
- the command line here does NOT mean the Python command line but the windows DOS style command prompt window.
theomeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #53
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
I did everything listed up until number 6, I ran a search but didn't find .calibre-utils file, why would this exist for some and not for others.

How do you run options in mekk's script like calibre_guess_and_add_isbn? is it right click option inside of calibre, do I have to turn it on? Is it from the Windows command prompt? Thanks.

Is there a user guide for this besides the one
http://bytebucket.org/Mekk/calibre_u...723/README.txt

thanks
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #54
iridius
Connoisseur

BTW I did search "scripts" on the Calibre User Guide site, anything else I should try?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #55
iridius
Connoisseur

Okay, I got the PowerShell script to work, but it doesn't rename, notify or delete the files that it successfully renamed, so, I don't know how to avoid having duplicates? Is there an edit for it that allows you to delete the files that had the ISBN extracted?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #56
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
GUI plugins weren't possible back when this thread was created - I would think someone could create a plugin for this pretty easily at this point. Calibre already has the basic function to convert any ebook to text, check the Search/Replace preview code for an example. You'd just need to run that function, then apply your ISBN searching functions, and then populate the ISBN field.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #57
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
GUI plugins weren't possible back when this thread was created - I would think someone could create a plugin for this pretty easily at this point. Calibre already has the basic function to convert any ebook to text, check the Search/Replace preview code for an example. You'd just need to run that function, then apply your ISBN searching functions, and then populate the ISBN field.
That sounds a nice idea for a quick & easy plugin... I'll knock something up. Do people want it to ask each time which format to extract from, or should it have a preferred configurable format heirarchy or have both options?
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #58
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
That sounds a nice idea for a quick & easy plugin... I'll knock something up. Do people want it to ask each time which format to extract from, or should it have a preferred configurable format heirarchy or have both options?
Asking a user interactively might make sense if it's a single book record, but not so much if the user selects a batch of books. Why not just use the hierarchy that already exists for conversion preferences? Granted I have no idea where that preference exists or what it's called...
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #59
iridius
Connoisseur

I know for me I have books in PDF and CHM that would need this functionality, but Mobi and Epub wouldn't hurt. I would need a bulk functionality first, then when doing day-to-day maintainence I wouldn't mind asking each time which format or what ever other idea you have, but I usually only have one format of a given book if the metadata isn't complete (Which is the case for most of the books that I would need to extract an ISBN from). Anything you can do would be awesome, though I have done a lot of the bulk processing today with that powershell script..

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #60
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I guess my thinking was that perhaps it is not necessarily the same desired hierarchy. For instance a PDF is the most likely source for an ISBN for many books, yet it is one of the awful formats to convert from that will be near the bottom of most people's lists.

I guess it also then begs the question of whether the plugin should on failing to find an ISBN in one format for a book move onto the next format if any for that book (which if it took that approach would mean that it could just use the conversion hierarchy, it just might run a little slower as it works through the other book formats first if indeed they do not have ISBN).

I have got an "interactive" version up and running (you choose the format if there is more than one available) which I will publish to the plugin forums shortly. People can feedback on that thread how they would like any "auto-hierarchy" stuff to work.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote