Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
hrs1
hrs1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
e-ink vs "regular" tablet

Hi all

I am a long time kindle user, which serves me well for ebooks
However, when I want to read pdf documents (mostly technical papers and books) I end up printing them as I can't stand reading them on my laptop or large computer screen (I want to hold them in my hand, which would hopefully be possible with a light weight e-reader)

AFAIK, currently the 13.3" e-ink devices to read full size pdf documents are the onyx max lumi, fujitsu quaderno A4, and perhaps quirklogic's papyr (I understand its pdf file size is currently limited)

1. since its screen size is 13.3", isn't an A4 pdf going to be scaled down (smaller)? has anyone had experience reading technical text (e.g. equations) on these displays (or the lumi's predecessor the max 3)

2. these products are priced between 700$ to almost 900$. Sumsung's powerfull Tab S7+ is selling now for about 750$. naturally this is a much more powerful device, albeit with a slightly smaller display (12.4" instead of 13.3") and of course an amoled display instead of an e-ink display
I would love to hear the forum's thought and recommendations
hrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
It depends on the pdf.

If you can get a Kindle Dx, it can read older pdfs without too much trouble, but you will need pre-processing before it can read newer pdfs. It's 9.7" so it shrinks things, but even with my eyesight, it doesn't give me any trouble.

I haven't been able to use "regular" tablets with the glowing screens. I am returning a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, due to frequent migraines.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I only use EInk devices for reading.
The only 13.3 inch device with light is the Boox Max Lumi - also very well equipped in other ways.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
It depends on the pdf.

If you can get a Kindle Dx, it can read older pdfs without too much trouble, but you will need pre-processing before it can read newer pdfs. It's 9.7" so it shrinks things, but even with my eyesight, it doesn't give me any trouble.

I haven't been able to use "regular" tablets with the glowing screens. I am returning a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, due to frequent migraines.
Kindle DX? Heck no. Better off with a 10.3" Pocketbook or Onyx Boox for PDF unless you go for a 13.3" eInk device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
A lot of it depends on your eyesight. If you have difficulty reading PDFs on paper than the smaller size could be an issue. Personally I can read technical PDFs with equations on a 7.8” reader. It’s not great, but it’s usable. 10” is IMO fine. Cropping margins can help too. I picked up a Boox Note Air recently for note taking and reading journal articles. It works great. I’m less distracted than when I was using my iPad since stuff like video aren’t really options. Plus I like reading on eInk better.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Any newer 10" eink reader should be good enough for displaying b/w technical documents and A4 pdfs, by using its landscape mode (two screens per pdf page, with or without cropped margins), because we can even get a certain text magnification in that case.

New Onyx Boox (Air or Note 3) would be my choice since its native pdf reader is good enough (no need for installation of KOReader app), it has got a good pen and frontlight, OTG support for an external storage etc.

Dasung has recently released a powerful 10.3" eink tablet claiming that their newest refresh technology allows for almost no latency, but it is almost twice as expensive as Boox Air and it lacks pen support.

https://dasung-tech.myshopify.com/pa...ot-ereader-103

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gEb4wWKSfo

Last edited by Marinolino; 11-19-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
Any newer 10" eink reader should be good enough for displaying b/w technical documents and A4 pdfs, by using its landscape mode (two screens per pdf page, with or without cropped margins), because we can even get a certain text magnification in that case.

New Onyx Boox (Air or Note 3) would be my choice since its native pdf reader is good enough (no need for installation of KOReader app), it has got a good pen and frontlight, OTG support for an external storage etc.
Agree 100%. You could also consider using an older model secondhand (Note2 is still on offer via Ebay from Onyx, I just bought one). Check out this video if you want to be persuaded that 10inches is the optimum size for an eReader...
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
10" onyx note in landscape mode should be fine. I was reading a dodgy scanned pdf on 7.8" in landscape last night no problem. Nook 7.8 from ebay with koreader is a cheap but underpowered option.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #9
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
" PDF reading size vs. actual book & Single-handed use test (Onyx Boox Note 3/Note Air/Max 3/iPad Pro) "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRfbEBGnkk

DASUNG 10.3" E-ink Tablet "Not-eReader 103"
Extended display MAC OS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyNU8MpS3Dw
As a Computer Monitor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4TndnioPs
Play videos, online lessons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1JcOZeTB0E
Watch Comics and Pictures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vNAwHn_Ig

Last edited by Marinolino; 12-10-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
Lectueur
Lectueur began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable
I've been using a 10 inch device for PDF reading with no trouble, even for scientific documents with multiple columns (where landscape mode is needed). For most document, a good cropping of the margins is enough to read it comfortably.
Lectueur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:38 AM   #11
codrut_popescu
codrut_popescu began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad X Pro
My use case is similar to yours. I use a 10'' Quaderno with no problems. You can order it via Amazon JP, I paid for mine a bit under 300 EUR with taxes and shipping included.
codrut_popescu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf