Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Font sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But the contrast is lower than on a Sony 505. The 5" screens have lower contrast than the bigger screens -- from my comparisons. I've yet to see anyone come up with objective measurements stating one way or the other. The black is the same on both the 505 and the PP but the background is darker on the PP than on the 505.

Font size if bigger might be useful but I'm not seeing bigger fonts on the PP than on the 505 (but it does have smaller ones).
Dear Kenny:

The most recent (December) Firmware Upgrade gave 9 font sizes for most formats.

Most people seem to feel that the display on a 5 inch is actually more resolute than the 6 inch. They take the same amount of pixels on a 6 inch and squeeze them down for the 5 inch. I guess everyone looks at things differently.

Happy New Year!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Kenny:

The most recent (December) Firmware Upgrade gave 9 font sizes for most formats.

Most people seem to feel that the display on a 5 inch is actually more resolute than the 6 inch. They take the same amount of pixels on a 6 inch and squeeze them down for the 5 inch. I guess everyone looks at things differently.

Happy New Year!!
9 font sizes in what ebook format or where. I just checked in both a mobi and an epub and it only displays 3. And Yes I just validated that I have the latest firmware.

As far as the contrast, this has been thoroughly discussed in other threads. Yes the PPI resolution of the 5" screen is higher than for the 6" screen because the number of pixels is the same, that that has nothing to do with contrast. It's the same eInk display as on the Sony 300. Some people think the higher ppi looks better but it's very clear to me that contrast on the Sony 300 and the PP is significantly lower than on the Sony 505 or Kindle2.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #18
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
It's kinda... Sexy.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:17 AM   #19
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
something I found nice was for this device the company actually used someone who knew how to take photographs. In fact a couple of the shots are super from a technical aspect nice composition and processing...good use of DOF as well.

I know that has nothing to do with how well the device works, but when a company is willing to do more than send someone out with an iPhone to take pictures it might indicate attention to detail and an understanding that something as basic as photos of their device matter and affect the perception of the company in general and specifically the product being advertised.

Otherwise, it is nice but the lower contrast would make it a non-starter for me, even with the lower price that should come with using older tech components. I also like they actually have what looks to be a standardized battery unlike some other brands who promise something like a Nokia phone battery while taking preorders then deliver device using a proprietary battery instead.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
Kellhus
Kellhus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looks kind of strange to me, Tech Spech says it's an LCD screen and latest firmware comes from 2007-09-02 according to Download section. All in all it looks more like a Jetbook to me, if you consider the specification.
Kellhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I don't buy into this whole form follows function thingy. I mean Kindle is not the ultimate in the evolution of ereaders. This thing looks like K3 from the future. Too bad for the low contrast DSTN screen... No wireless?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #22
gfabi9
gfabi9 began at the beginning.

Device: ebook reader InsdreamSX601
Thumbs down I think it's a great reader.

I recently received an e-reader Insdream SX601 as a gift. I am pleased with it but still trying to learn how to use it. Although the instructions are clear, the e-reader does not always respond. When I reset it, the date goes back to 1970. That makes me think I need to upgrade it. Unfortunately, I cannot get through on the internet site to do the download. Can you offer me some guidance?
gfabi9 is offline   Reply With Quote