Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2023, 09:35 AM   #1
WinterNya
WinterNya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (11th generation)
PW3 screen replacement

I have a PW3 with a broken screen - see image. Except for the broken screen, it was in a relatively good condition, however it was disassembled rather carelessly. Nothing is missing, but the screen glass has been cracked while opening it.

I am wondering if it'd be possible to replace the screen and found out it's a ED060KD1. When looking for it online, I found 2 versions, one without the frontlight and relatively cheap and another one, with the frontlight and significantly more expensive.

Can I test somehow if the frontlight I have here is working? It did work after the screen was broken (it was turning on and off by itself, likely a bootloop due to the screen malfunction), but it was disassembled carelessly, so I am not sure if the person opening it didn't break the light as well by accident.

Assuming the frontlight is working and the screen can be replaced cheaply, is there a guide on how to do it?

If the frontlight is broken, will the Kindle firmware accept a screen that does not have any frontlight connected? It could be turned into a daytime reading device if it'd work fine without the frontlight
WinterNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:26 AM   #2
WinterNya
WinterNya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (11th generation)
I see the attachment didn't work, in that case here is a link to the image: https://i.imgur.com/ypjLmrW.jpeg
WinterNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2023, 11:55 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Usually the front light uses an integral layer, so you need the same kind.

However there is a big issue with eink. Unlike most screens it's mechanical (each pixel is moving balls in a liquid) and unlike any other screen technology there is a calibration factor marked on panel and entered at the factory. A user can't change it. So the contrast may be poor.

A PW3 will also be due for a new LiPoly cell battery soon.

Better to buy a new one, which need not be a Kindle, because you can use it for DRM removal if it's already registered on Amazon. Use Download for USB transfer. The "serial number" is on your Amazon account. See Calibre and NoDRM plugin (Git).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote