Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2022, 05:37 PM   #61
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
There might be support in the UK store, but my UK Oasis 3 still hasn't received it. (Mind you, it's been on wifi minimally for a good few months now, until the new UI gets the more horrific mistakes shaken out of it.)
It’s not horrific, IMO.

If you have a smartphone, you could install the Kindle app and see if Series Grouping exists in UK store without ‘risking’ an update to your Kindle. It would also let you preview the UI of the Kindle itself. There are a few differences but it is very similar.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:39 AM   #62
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It’s not horrific, IMO.

If you have a smartphone, you could install the Kindle app and see if Series Grouping exists in UK store without ‘risking’ an update to your Kindle. It would also let you preview the UI of the Kindle itself. There are a few differences but it is very similar.
Oh, there's definitely series grouping, or at least major series have a series page that every book in the series links to. My Kindle just doesn't show anything about it, literally years after everyone else got the feature.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #63
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
True. It’s not something I ever used myself, as I make minimal use of Collections (I don’t like to take time away from reading to ‘organize’).

FWIW the new Collections view has pseudo collection Uncollected, which is about as close as you can get to that option, but it isn’t quite the same, and unfortunately there is no option to put that in list mode so you can easily read titles and author. The Fire/Android app lets you do this; hopefully they’ll add this in a future update.

I’d also like to see Author grouping this year, too.
Yes, you understood what I meant. To be fair I haven't really organized my collections for years much. There are so many filters now that some of my collections are redundant. I had various unread type and others. I already resorted some and deleted others. Did that on the website though as it's faster.
I still would like the option on having a few starred collections on top followed by books not in those collections but alas. The uncollected doesn't work the same as it's only on the page with all collections, not along with my starred collections in list view.

Fir me it's almost like going back to the days of no collections like the k1 when I clicked on books to move them up the list by recent to sort them. As collections are actually less useful now for me not being able to sort as I used to.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #64
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Day I can't remember how many it has been...

Still no updated UI. I'm beginning to lose hope.

I wonder if they stopped rolling updates to fix stuff people complained about. Or this would be another case of waiting months to get the update.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:42 PM   #65
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Day I can't remember how many it has been...

Still no updated UI. I'm beginning to lose hope.

I wonder if they stopped rolling updates to fix stuff people complained about. Or this would be another case of waiting months to get the update.
I am with you on not getting the UI updates, I manually updated I believe right after it went live on the Amazon site
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2022, 09:47 PM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems possible that they are limiting the number of Kindles the feature gets enabled on:

- in case they missed something in testing
- to limit customer support incidents were they to turn it on for all of them at once (or to gather information about the type of incidents that result so they can fine-tune the response)

If they intend to fix an issue, they would pause rollout until they have an update that fixes it.

If they just want to limit the customer support impact, then they’ll flip the switch on another batch.

Has anyone here gotten the update OTA?
Old 02-19-2022, 07:25 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Has anyone here gotten the update OTA?
My Paperwhite has received the last 3 updates OTA. Which is one of the reasons that I am not happy with not seeing the updated features. At times, I think my Paperwhite is listed in the control group.

OTOH, since it's only real purpose is life is as a registered serial number, it has no effect on my reading experience.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #68
Rouge One
Enthusiast
Rouge One began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
I have an issue with my Kindle Paperwhite 10th generation and update 5.14.2:
Before the update I was moving some books around to put in collections and now after the update I have this problem it has put these books in a collection called uncollected and here is my problem I can’t access anything in that collection because when you click on it just takes you back to the main Home Screen where the collections are at.

I have contacted Amazon customer service a couple times and they basically just told me that didn’t know what the problem is and just told me to wait for the next update
Rouge One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:10 PM   #69
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge One View Post
I have an issue with my Kindle Paperwhite 10th generation and update 5.14.2:
Before the update I was moving some books around to put in collections and now after the update I have this problem it has put these books in a collection called uncollected and here is my problem I can’t access anything in that collection because when you click on it just takes you back to the main Home Screen where the collections are at.

I have contacted Amazon customer service a couple times and they basically just told me that didn’t know what the problem is and just told me to wait for the next update
What does your Manage Content page say about these particular books? Do they show membership in the expected Collections?

I would just Reset and start clean (assuming you have already tried Restart). Perhaps some file is corrupt.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:43 PM   #70
Rouge One
Enthusiast

I have done a hard reset for 20 seconds and a hard reset of 40 seconds and nothing has worked this uncollected doesn’t open at all and it has been a week now since this update came out and I am not the only person that is having this problem with the uncollected collection and Amazon customer service agents haven’t helped they have basically said wait for the next update or they will forward it to the kindle department and nothing has been fixed and I never had this problem till the new update came out.
Also there is was no collection called uncollected till the new update came out and it doesn’t show up in the app under collections either

Last edited by Rouge One; 02-21-2022 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:11 AM   #71
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have done a hard reset for 20 seconds and a hard reset of 40 seconds and nothing has worked this uncollected doesn’t open at all and it has been a week now since this update came out and I am not the only person that is having this problem with the uncollected collection and Amazon customer service agents haven’t helped they have basically said wait for the next update or they will forward it to the kindle department and nothing has been fixed and I never had this problem till the new update came out.
Also there is was no collection called uncollected till the new update came out and it doesn’t show up in the app under collections either
Reset means ‘restoring to factory defaults’, not simply ‘hard restart’. This is what I would try (after the restarts you have done).

One other thing I would try before Reset: from Home or Library, search for ‘.’ (period) and check the Text in Books item to see if it includes Items not indexed. If it does, remove that book (it is corrupt) and see if Uncollected works. If there are no such items, then I’d proceed with Reset to see if that helps.

‘Uncollected’ is not something that shows up in Content, it is just the books which are not in collections. I was suggesting that you check to see if the books you added to collections just before the update wound up in the collections you expect them to be in. They should not be in Uncollected.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:01 AM   #72
Rouge One
Enthusiast

I can’t do the factory reset I have too many books on my kindle for me to do that and this is a software update issue because this uncollected wasn’t a thing till a week ago when the new update came out and I am not the only person having this issue because on an Amazon forum for Kindle devices another person is having the same issues so if somebody else is having the same issues then it is not a device issue it is a software issue
Old 02-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #73
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can’t do the factory reset I have too many books on my kindle for me to do that and this is a software update issue because this uncollected wasn’t a thing till a week ago when the new update came out and I am not the only person having this issue because on an Amazon forum for Kindle devices another person is having the same issues so if somebody else is having the same issues then it is not a device issue it is a software issue
I was speculating that it involves data corruption. A software update is probably not going to help if that is the case. I understand the inconvenience of doing a reset, but it would be the same if you were to get a replacement or a new Kindle.

Even if it is a software issue (which has not been proven), it could be some time before Amazon fixes it. It’s not clear that they know what the problem is and how to fix it, especially if they are not curious enough to request logs from your device.

You could probably just back up the documents folder on the Kindle to a computer and restore it (probably best in batches of fewer than 100 books at a time, with pauses to allow indexing to complete before proceeding) after the reset and re-register (and verifying that the issue no longer persists). Just copying the files might reveal if any of the files in there are corrupt.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-22-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #74
Rouge One
Enthusiast

Well I can’t factory reset my device and I know 100% sure this is a software issue because as long as I have had a Kindle device there has never been a collection called uncollected till last week and this has been many many years so I most definitely know this is not an issue on my end it is an issue on Amazon end
Old 02-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #75
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well I can’t factory reset my device and I know 100% sure this is a software issue because as long as I have had a Kindle device there has never been a collection called uncollected till last week and this has been many many years so I most definitely know this is not an issue on my end it is an issue on Amazon end
The update could have revealed a pre-existing issue with data corruption. The new feature has to generate the contents of the collection on the fly from what is already on your device and your library, and if that content is corrupt, then it may fail to function as designed. That’s the point I’ve been trying to make.

A long standing issue on every Kindle since the first one is that a corrupt book can prevent finishing indexing the downloaded content. The solution is to identify the corrupt content, remove it and re-download (or side-load) it. There’s nothing wrong with the software and there has never been an update to address it.

Of course you CAN reset. Your choice is not to. But that may mean the issue never goes away. It all depends on the root cause and that is unknown, even if it seems the update ‘caused it’.