Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #91
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
No, it might be easy for you, for me it's next to impossible. I keep having to create a new adobe account and I ran out of email addresses. I refuse to install junk from Adobe on my PC (I don't even have Flash installed), I use a virtual machine for all my cleaning business. But ADE refuses to stay activated on a virtual machine, meaning every single time I launch it, I have to re-register. I gave up on ADE years ago due to that.
I don't like Adobe software either. So far I've found it quite convenient to buy the DRM'd kepub from Kobo and let Kobo Desktop download it to the PC.

From there it's quite easy to remove DRM using the Kobo-related Alf plugin, then format shift the de-DRM'd kepub to standard epub using the calibre 'Modify Epub' plugin.

For me it's no more effort than buying from Amazon.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #92
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone have the new home screen who doesn't sync to show what it looks like?
I posted an image here.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I posted an image here.
Thanks. That makes the new home screen waste a good amount of the screen. No way. I'll stick with the old home screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #95
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Thanks. That makes the new home screen waste a good amount of the screen. No way. I'll stick with the old home screen.
The new home screen waste a good amount of the screen, but it also save space by removing search box.
And combining the combining the footer menu of the old home screen in to the top left home button in the new home screen.

But you right there is a lot of waste space, 1/3 bottom of the screen "BROWS KOBO" and "POCKET" is unnecessary, and can be spare.

Last edited by oren64; 03-11-2017 at 05:27 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #96
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
But you right there is a lot of waste space, 1/3 bottom of the screen "BROWS KOBO" and "POCKET" is unnecessary, and can be spare.
I also do not need three images to represent "My Books." I would be happy with a small link. I could even accept if the library would be available only via the top left menu. The whole lower half of the screen is almost useless to me.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #97
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That's a huuuuuge if. As long as there are Kindles out there, that don't support KFX, I doubt Amazon will enforce it.
All they have to do is disable any Kindle desktop app prior to version 1.19 and for a great many of us, KFX will be the only option from Amazon. They've done it before, so it doesn't seem like such a huge if after all.

The technicality of older Kindles being able to download the older formats will be of no help to those of us who don't own one.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #98
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
All they have to do is disable any Kindle desktop app prior to version 1.19 and for a great many of us, KFX will be the only option from Amazon. They've done it before, so it doesn't seem like such a huge if after all.

The technicality of older Kindles being able to download the older formats will be of no help to those of us who don't own one.
I've read (see https://epubor.com/how-to-converter-...-mobi-pdf.html) that my process when buying from Amazon, downloading via Kindle for PC, will automatically convert KFX to AZW3.

If that is true, KFX will be a non event for Kobo users like me.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #99
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I've read (see https://epubor.com/how-to-converter-...-mobi-pdf.html) that my process when buying from Amazon, downloading via Kindle for PC, will automatically convert KFX to AZW3.

Current versions of the Kindle software for the PC download in KFX format. You need to use an older version. There is uncertainty as to how long Amazon will allow the older version to connect and download in azw3 format.

Sent from my Nexus+7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #100
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
The new home screen waste a good amount of the screen, but it also save space by removing search box.
And combining the combining the footer menu of the old home screen in to the top left home button in the new home screen.

Beside the fact that that new layout is horrible in space management, it even would force me to use a menu for something that I can simply click right now and still have a lot of space available for books I'm reading/have read.

If I look at that menu (based on some screenshots posted here), there's only 2 menu items I'd be interested in: My Books and Settings. All the other things I can live perfectly without.

And removing a minimalist search bar and then reserve 1/3rd of the screen to something useless is one step forward and then a whole journey of 3 days backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

They still won't be able to enforce it, as there are older kindles out there. And if something is not enforced, people will find ways to work around it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #101
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

And removing a minimalist search bar and then reserve 1/3rd of the screen to something useless is one step forward and then a whole journey of 3 days backwards.
I totally agree. I happen to like the search bar, and use it a lot. I don't feel it is in any way a waste of space.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #102
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I totally agree. I happen to like the search bar, and use it a lot. I don't feel it is in any way a waste of space.
The problem with that is that it is not a search bar -- you can't type in it. It's a oversized button that brings up the search dialog. The magnifying glass icon replaces it while using a lot less screen area.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #103
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post

The link you mentioned doesn't say what you think it says.

Method 1 is: download using Kindle Desktop, which won't help when Kindle Desktop only offers KFX (version 1.19 and higher)

Method 2 is: Download & transfer via USB, which requires you to own a Kindle that can't handle KFX.

That link mostly seems like a scam to get people to pay for what they can already do for free via Calibre.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #104
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
They still won't be able to enforce it, as there are older kindles out there. And if something is not enforced, people will find ways to work around it.
That sounds an awful lot like some underpants gnome logic there:

Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #105
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Sorry for derailing the conversation guys. I know this has nothing to do with the new home screen.

Tags
home screen, kobo