Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #76
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I buy from Kobo. From the comfort of my PC with a big monitor. I then download those books into Calibre and sideload them on my reader..
Same here. And before sideloading, I clean them, check that the TOC suits me, and get rid of garbage. An example of things I hate is the new to me Penguin mania: a penguin icon above EACH chapter number, really? They're lucky that was classics, with the authors safely dead.

EDIT: I've also seen that in children's books.

Quote:
That's a huuuuuge if. As long as there are Kindles out there, that don't support KFX, I doubt Amazon will enforce it. And I'll only buy non-DRM's books from Kobo, so if I can't find it on Amazon (for easy DRM-disinfection) and it's not a non-infected book on Kobo, I'll go read another book.
I find it as easy to "disinfect" Kobo books as Amazon books (or any other I bought elsewhere). I compare prices from Calibre (and look up those missing for my usual sources), and if there is a big difference I'll buy from Amazon, but otherwise I prefer epubs (even from Kobo I download only epubs): the Amazon process converting to their format tends to be roughshod.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #77
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think as Facebook wanted to increase their revenues from the cell app, so as Kobo want to increase their revenues from their eReaders, by people buying more books from their eReaders.

But I think it is the wrong way to it, by adding unremovable ads, buying books from eReader is not the best experience.

I think Kobo need do an experiment by giving 5-20% discount on some of their books if you buy from eReader, and see if it increases their revenues from eReaders.

Last edited by oren64; 03-11-2017 at 07:33 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #78
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think a significant part of Kobo's difficulty in increasing ebook sales is that they're still experiencing the fallout from years of unlimited and substantial discounts. There are still books that either have come out recently or of which I've just learned that I'll buy, but if I'm just trolling for something to read, I go to the large library I amassed back in the wanton discount days.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's a huuuuuge if. As long as there are Kindles out there, that don't support KFX, I doubt Amazon will enforce it. And I'll only buy non-DRM's books from Kobo, so if I can't find it on Amazon (for easy DRM-disinfection) and it's not a non-infected book on Kobo, I'll go read another book.
Actually, it's just as easy to remove the DRM from ePub eBooks. So you really don't have to avoid ePub with DRM. You'll need ADE 2.0.1 which is still available from Adobe and once it's registered, you can easily setup the plugin to strip the DRM on import to your Calibre library.

If you need additional help or where to get the plugin, see Apprentace Alf.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-11-2017 at 10:27 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #80
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It should be pointed out that the new homescreen makes itself obsolete. You barely ever have to look at it thanks to the change in the drop down menu. You can go anywhere the homescreen lets you go, and once you're in a book it's actually faster to go directly to say your library than the home screen and then to your library.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #81
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
It should be pointed out that the new homescreen makes itself obsolete. You barely ever have to look at it thanks to the change in the drop down menu. You can go anywhere the homescreen lets you go, and once you're in a book it's actually faster to go directly to say your library than the home screen and then to your library.
Would you mind (or anyone with the new homescreen) showing what that looks like? I have the recent firmware but the old homescreen and I'm curious. That is one of the things I never liked is how the library is kind of hidden away (unlike Kindle).
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #82
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Would you mind (or anyone with the new homescreen) showing what that looks like? I have the recent firmware but the old homescreen and I'm curious. That is one of the things I never liked is how the library is kind of hidden away (unlike Kindle).
See this message for some screenshots: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=5 of the new home screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #83
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Hasn't it always been easy to get to your library while reading? When I'm reading (in Fullscreen) I tap for the menu and than pick "Books", and I'm than shown the library.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #84
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
See this message for some screenshots: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=5 of the new home screen.
Cool thanks I see what that menu looks like now.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #85
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Hasn't it always been easy to get to your library while reading? When I'm reading (in Fullscreen) I tap for the menu and than pick "Books", and I'm than shown the library.
The "Books" link from within a book has changed with the newest firmwares. It now changes to whatever you last used, which I really really dislike. It can be "Home" (ridiculous to waste the link on that since you've got the Home button at the upper left), "Collection" if you came to the book through the Collection screen, "Previous location" after searching within the book, "Search" if you came to the book using search (again useless for me, you have search available from the bottom right), and "Books" if you came from your library.

"Previous location" is semi-useful, but I could just as easily touch the upper right corner to make a bookmark for myself before jumping all around the pages through search or whatever.

I just completely ignore the bottom left now as if it's not there.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #86
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Previous location is very useful when you've inadvertently touched a footnote!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone have the new home screen who doesn't sync to show what it looks like?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #88
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it's just as easy to remove the DRM from ePub eBooks. So you really don't have to avoid ePub with DRM. You'll need ADE 2.0.1 which is still available from Adobe and once it's registered, you can easily setup the plugin to strip the DRM on import to your Calibre library.

If you need additional help or where to get the plugin, see Apprentace Alf.
No, it might be easy for you, for me it's next to impossible. I keep having to create a new adobe account and I ran out of email addresses. I refuse to install junk from Adobe on my PC (I don't even have Flash installed), I use a virtual machine for all my cleaning business. But ADE refuses to stay activated on a virtual machine, meaning every single time I launch it, I have to re-register. I gave up on ADE years ago due to that.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #89
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone have the new home screen who doesn't sync to show what it looks like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Check the link in the reply above.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #90
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Am I misunderstanding something here? If you have the new Home screen setup and you want to get to the Book List when you have a book open, what's so difficult about tapping the top left menu icon and selecting 'My Books' from the drop-down list?

Although I don't like the new Home screen itself I do actually like the consistency of the new top-left menu.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home screen, kobo