Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The problem with that is that it is not a search bar -- you can't type in it. It's a oversized button that brings up the search dialog. The magnifying glass icon replaces it while using a lot less screen area.
What don't I understand here? I've got a search bar I can type in at the top of my (old) home screens, or so I'd have described it. And I also use it a lot.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #107
cybergrimes
Legend
cybergrimes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
What don't I understand here? I've got a search bar I can type in at the top of my (old) home screens, or so I'd have described it. And I also use it a lot.
If you press on that search bar the screen changes to the search screen.
It was already a shortcut and took up a lot of real estate.
cybergrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #108
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrimes View Post
Ah, gotcha, thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #109
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrimes View Post
a lot????? It's a cm, cm and half or so high on my screen of about 17cm... I don't call that a lot. That useless space that the entire bottom is, on the new layout is a lot...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #110
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Beside the fact that that new layout is horrible in space management, it even would force me to use a menu for something that I can simply click right now and still have a lot of space available for books I'm reading/have read.

If I look at that menu (based on some screenshots posted here), there's only 2 menu items I'd be interested in: My Books and Settings. All the other things I can live perfectly without.

And removing a minimalist search bar and then reserve 1/3rd of the screen to something useless is one step forward and then a whole journey of 3 days backwards.
I agree the new layout is not good, the books size is too small, my books and recommended are too big, the bottom 1/3rd of the screen is useless.

The search bar and the footer menu have top and bottom margins, I use a patch that reduce the margins and I can have up to 8 books in my Kobo Glo in the old home screen.
By removing the search bar and the footer menu they save real estate, but it not use for what the user want, I would like to see my collections, reading stat and bigger books cover.

Last edited by oren64; 03-13-2017 at 06:20 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
a lot????? It's a cm, cm and half or so high on my screen of about 17cm... I don't call that a lot. That useless space that the entire bottom is, on the new layout is a lot...
I agree that the new home screen wastes a lot more space with something useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #112
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes, but if that space wasn't taken up, you could probably fit an extra tile in each of the columns of tiles.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, but if that space wasn't taken up, you could probably fit an extra tile in each of the columns of tiles.
If the search bar wasn't so far down from the top of the screen and Read | Browse| Activity was moved down there would be more room for tiles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:12 AM   #114
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, maybe a colomn of half a tile. So, 1 and a half book total. Or 3 categories. Instead, they made the screen so that you can only see a max of 4 books. And no categories and just a lot of empty space unless you turn on your wifi. In which case that empty space is filled with other useless information.

I really like some of the updates that were added in the firmware, but even the possibility of getting that horrible (and I really meaning loathingly horrible) home screen will stop me from ever upgrading.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #115
m-p{3}
m-p{3} began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I know the games (Solitaire, Sudoku, etc) weren't officially part of the Glo HD, but it was nice having those. Now with the new Home Screen, I have no idea where to launch those. And there's isn't any tile for the experimental web browser, you have to go in Settings each time. Super annoying..
m-p{3} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #116
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Kobo just sent me a survey about the new home screen. I didn't patch to get it so presumably they know who got it and who didn't.

Haven't taken it yet, waiting until I get home later tonight. If you want to contribute thoughts I'm open to include them as much as possible. However 'I don't like it because it's different' and that sort of thing won't make the cut.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #117
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
For me, the problem is that it is not My screen, but Kobo ad screen
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #118
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My Kobo updated last night and I got the new home screen. (Wi-Fi has been switched off again!)

It's worse in actual use than it is in screenshots. Aside from the one book I am reading and the My Books tile, everything else on the screen was ads of one form or another.

I've patched myself up and have the old screen back. I do miss the new menu button and the search icon. I wish I could keep those and scrap the rest.

Since I was pretty happy with my Kobo before any of these updates (when I was still on 3.whatever-it-was), I think I'll stop updating it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #119
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
... I think I'll stop updating it.
Where's your sense of adventure?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #120
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Kobo just sent me a survey about the new home screen. I didn't patch to get it so presumably they know who got it and who didn't.

Haven't taken it yet, waiting until I get home later tonight. If you want to contribute thoughts I'm open to include them as much as possible. However 'I don't like it because it's different' and that sort of thing won't make the cut.
I'm not keen on the bottom half of the screen being taken up by "advertising" but what bothers me a LOT more is not being able to dismiss tiles and get what I want on the screen. If I happen to open a book to check something out etc I have no way to get rid of it out of the top row and get back to the books I'm reading/want to read in it. That's my biggest complaint.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home screen, kobo