Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
An hour and 20 minutes start up time!

I'm going to continue fooling around with this and see if there is something I can do. When I first put my library on my reader (on an SD card), it took a really long time to start up. Today, I added a handful of additional books and found it literally took 80 minutes (I timed it) to restart after I unplugged it from the USB port. Now admittedly, I have over 3,000 titles, but I never could have imagined it would take that long (though last time, when I added the 3,000 titles it took a long time too so I thought to time it and see what happens this time).

The good news is that from standby it comes back instantly and it happens I own a PSP so I was able to charge from the charging cable instead of from USB. The bad news is that I have Calibre set to download newspapers every day for me. So I'm going to try playing with the settings and have Calibre add the newspapers to the main memory instead of the SD card. I'm hoping that if I don't make any changes at all to the SD card it won't need to take an hour and 20 minutes to reindex it each time I restart the reader.

Otherwise I may be forced to buy a second reader (probably from a different company at this point) in order to read my newspapers. I didn't want the Kindle because I want to be able to borrow from a library (I know, sounds silly with 3,000 books, but they're most PD or stuff one can get for free from various sites such as Baen and the like and I can get more modern stuff from the library) and I rejected the Nook because it would be a lot of trouble getting it here (I live in Israel -- I can get around georestrictions and all that since I have a VPN and my mother is still in the States so she can receive the package for me and reship it, but I figured I was best off without the hassle) not to mention that I wasn't entirely clear how well it would work since I'd have to keep the wifi turned off permanently in order to use the VPN. I also hadn't been entirely clear at the time if it would work properly at all if using it abroad and frankly, anything where they can reach in to make changes without my say so is something I'm not keen on (I still remember the whole Kindle fiasco a few months ago). I also rejected the Kobo because the reviews weren't so good so that left me with the Sony, which seemed (on paper) to be pretty good.

Anyway, I'm thinking if I invest in something else for my newspapers I may as well wait for the raft of Android tablets to come out and then pick one of those. . .

So, after all that rambling which probably was meaningless for most of you (it was mostly me venting about a frustrating issue for me), does anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions to make the thing work faster?

Thanks,

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
I'm hoping that if I don't make any changes at all to the SD card it won't need to take an hour and 20 minutes to reindex it each time I restart the reader.
Unfortunately that's not true. It's the number of titles you have on the Reader that determines the library scan time, not how many of them are new.

This is probably THE major shortcoming of the Sony devices; no other brand of reader has this issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just found that out the hard way. I decided to try shutting it off and restarting it to see what would happen. And sure enough, it's just sitting there saying loading. I guess I'll get to read a book again in an hour. Now I have to decide if I live with this and buy a tablet or sell it and try something else entirely.

Eric
Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Checkout this thread : Sony SD Card usage

My Conclusion : don't use sd card with sony ereader

OR

use PRS+ and disable sd card scanning
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No problem using card just with quantity of books... keep down to around 1500 and it's much more reasonable.

Secondly... PRS+ etc applies to PRS 505 not the 600 owned by eric11210

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Checkout this thread : Sony SD Card usage

My Conclusion : don't use sd card with sony ereader

OR

use PRS+ and disable sd card scanning
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Hm. I have 105 epub books stored on my Memory Stick. I just did a cold reboot and the scanning took 5-6 seconds. Assuming the loading time increases linearly with the number of books, that should mean two and a half minutes to scan 3000 items.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
eric11210
Addict

I wonder if it works faster with memory stick?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
No problem using card just with quantity of books... keep down to around 1500 and it's much more reasonable.

Secondly... PRS+ etc applies to PRS 505 not the 600 owned by eric11210
You are right...PRS+ is for 505. But i read somewhere they are working on porting to 300/600.

1500 are way too much.
When i tried it months ago slow down began at about 200-300 books.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
eric11210
Addict

They are working on a port to the 300. The other alternative firmware for the 300 is planning a port to the 600. However neither one is actually available yet. I would love to get PRS+ if they ever do port to the 600 though. It looks like it has some great features.

Or the other new alternative firmware if they deal with the bugs people keep reporting.

So does anyone know -- would it make a difference if I bought a memory stick instead? It's not like they are all that expensive, but I don't want to waste money just to test a theory.

Eric
Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
So does anyone know -- would it make a difference if I bought a memory stick instead? It's not like they are all that expensive, but I don't want to waste money just to test a theory.
I can think of no reason why the Memory Stick would be particularly faster than the SD card, but just in case, the one I am using is the MSMT4G. I just had it lying around.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
So does anyone know -- would it make a difference if I bought a memory stick instead?
No real difference.
Hoped the same years ago but no real difference.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 AM   #12
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
I just found that out the hard way. I decided to try shutting it off and restarting it to see what would happen. And sure enough, it's just sitting there saying loading. I guess I'll get to read a book again in an hour. Now I have to decide if I live with this and buy a tablet or sell it and try something else entirely.

Eric
I think the problem stems from the fact that the Reader tries to rebuild its database in the memory card. It seems to me that the time grows exponentially. I use Reader Library software for organizing lots of file and creating the database so that when I unplug the USB cable everything is ready to go immediately. But, recently I simply try not to carry around many books in the Reader.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
eric11210
Addict

Unfortunately, that was one of the major selling points for me on this as opposed to other readers. I wanted the ability to load up a massive library and have it at my fingertips rather than needing to go onto the computer in order to find a book that I happen to decide I want to read right now. Oh well. I guess this thing is never going to replace my daily newspapers. I'll have to find something else. I do think this thing works well for its primary function, reading books. . .oh well. I'll have to think about things. I'm thinking if I add instead of replace that I'll go for a tablet as I mentioned, though I have no great desire to watch video or use a tablet. . .
Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
More like as the square of the time related to number of extra books once you get away from a few hundred...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashsu View Post
Hm. I have 105 epub books stored on my Memory Stick. I just did a cold reboot and the scanning took 5-6 seconds. Assuming the loading time increases linearly with the number of books, that should mean two and a half minutes to scan 3000 items.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have a very similar problem with my PRS900 - but in my case it's not the number of books, it's the number of annotations on PDFs that is slowing it to a crawl - both in terms of building the database when booting and both in terms of saving notes/annotations.

With 100 PDFs each with 10-20 handwritten annotations, adding one more annotation then turning page will take about 2 minutes.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote