Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Love the PB360! A few questions...

OK – I already love this thing. I am well on my way to becoming a full-fledged cult member (am considering selling all my other readers). I do have a few questions though:
  • Does fbreader not support hyperlinks? I like using the NYT calibre recipe and the articles are all hyperlinked. It’s fine, because I can navigate just as easily via the TOC, but I’m just curious
  • Is there a future firmware update that could possibly shorten the amount of time it takes for the PB360 to open a book? This is my only minor annoyance with this unit. It takes a full 20-30 seconds to open a book – not just the first time, but every time. So is this something that is potentially fixable, or is it something inherent to the way this reader is designed?
  • Is there an option in fbreader to report epub page numbers rather than ‘screenfuls’? I like the idea that the numbers of pages in the book is fixed regardless of font size, etc. As it is in fbreader, every screenful of text is counted as a page and recalculated whenever I resize or change fonts.

Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Is there an option in fbreader to report epub page numbers rather than ‘screenfuls’? I like the idea that the numbers of pages in the book is fixed regardless of font size, etc. As it is in fbreader, every screenful of text is counted as a page and recalculated whenever I resize or change fonts.
Funny, but that is one of my favorite features of fbreader. It lets me know how far I am in a book, and I can gauge my progress with each page turn. If the page numbers are static, no matter what font size you use, you wind up with the odd situations of being on page 17 for several page turns, spending time on "page" 17-18, or having one page turn really turn more than a single page.

If I want to know where I am in a book to pass along or to read from a different source I note what chapter I'm in and the first sentence of a paragraph.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
I agree with Marcy.

As to the hyperlinks: in the settings for the device (not the fbreader settings) you can assign functions to the buttons. One of the functions you can assign is "hyperlink mode". If you assign that function to a button that you don't otherwise use, when hyperlink mode is activated you can navigate through and click on the hyperlinks.

Note that another function you can assign is "go back". This may be useful if you click on footnotes a lot and want to be taken back: it allows you to go back with a single button click instead of activating hyperlink mode again and clicking the hyperlink to go back.

As to the opening of a book, I wonder if it's a firmware "issue" (in as far as it is an issue), or a memory issue. Or a processor issue. I.e. maybe it's not possible to make this quicker with the current hardware.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post

As to the opening of a book, I wonder if it's a firmware "issue" (in as far as it is an issue), or a memory issue. Or a processor issue. I.e. maybe it's not possible to make this quicker with the current hardware.
This is a known issue concerning involved complicated TOCs. Somehow our software does not like those and thus is quite slow to open them. We are working on this issue.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote