Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Could care less?

There is a phrase in English, "I couldn't care less", which means, roughly, I care so little about this that I cannot imagine caring any less about it - "I couldn't care less about the fate of Manchester United" means I do not care at all about the fate of Manchester United.

Of late I have noticed the phrase, "I could care less" Now. on the face of it "I could care less" means the opposite of "I couldn't care less". The least it means is that my level of caring about this issue could be less than it is, in other words, I care...to some extent. "I could care less about the fate of Manchester United", seems to mean that I care to some extent about the fate of Manchester United.

What is confusing is, it seems from the context in which it appears, that "I could care less" is used to mean what "I couldn't care less" means - in other words, "I don't care".

Does anybody know how this has arisen and how it is that, without irony, a phrase can come to be used to mean the opposite of what it does mean?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I think somebody has posted this before, but;

Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I think somebody has posted this before, but;

TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd say it's caused by laziness! "I could not care less" is longer than "I could care less".

(oh, and to put one more down, why is driving on the right side of the road, wrong?)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it's from the same people that cannot wrap their wee little brains around the fact that irregardless isn't a word
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it's from the same people that cannot wrap their wee little brains around the fact that irregardless isn't a word
ahhhhh - I hate that one.

I'll say "I could care less" sometimes, but when I do I'll put a sarcastic tone to it, indicating I really couldn't, or I'll finish it off by saying ", but not much."
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
My mother use to complain about us using street talk and slang. She considered any bad grammar that was socially acceptable in daily conversation as street talk. She especially hated the word 'ain't."

My favorite is when I ask someone if they mind and they say yes meaning go ahead. They just said yes they minded. I have to ask them "yes you mind, or yes go ahead?"
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'd say it's caused by laziness! "I could not care less" is longer than "I could care less".
To lose one word may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose two looks like carelessness.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 01-11-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: revisionism for comic effect.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The one that really annoys me is the use of the phrase "my bad" to mean "I have made a mistake". "bad" is an adjective - I always want to ask the speaker "my bad WHAT?". It makes no sense at all. Where on Earth did that one come from, I wonder?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
'I could care less' was in a sample of a book I recently had a look at... and it confused me, as in I didn't know what it was supposed to mean... I didn't buy the book...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
I don't mind the easy to confuse phrases being misused. I'm not perfect myself. The thing that really bothers me is when people spell words phonetically without bothering to ever check if the word is wrong or not. Worse still is if they do it on purpose.

I'll give some real examples from a 22 year old woman I know. This is the way she uses words.
2 = to, too
n = and
i b = I'll be
sum = some
tuff = tough
wiff = with
gud = good
every1 = everyone
If she was writing me a quick text message on her phone, I wouldn't mind so much. But she'll type an entire email to me this way. That is just plain laziness.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
I don't mind the easy to confuse phrases being misused. I'm not perfect myself. The thing that really bothers me is when people spell words phonetically without bothering to ever check if the word is wrong or not. Worse still is if they do it on purpose.

I'll give some real examples from a 22 year old woman I know. This is the way she uses words.
2 = to, too
n = and
i b = I'll be
sum = some
tuff = tough
wiff = with
gud = good
every1 = everyone
If she was writing me a quick text message on her phone, I wouldn't mind so much. But she'll type an entire email to me this way. That is just plain laziness.
I don't do much of texting or reading them... I just don't understand them... If I'm texting, I write the whole thing out....
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I don't do much of texting or reading them... I just don't understand them... If I'm texting, I write the whole thing out....
So do I, always have! And I write long ones sometimes.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #14
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I find it really difficult to concentrate on what someone is saying when they are chewing gum, and every second word is "like".

Invariably, this is done by the young and the restless.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The one that really annoys me is the use of the phrase "my bad" to mean "I have made a mistake". "bad" is an adjective - I always want to ask the speaker "my bad WHAT?". It makes no sense at all. Where on Earth did that one come from, I wonder?
Oh - I do that.

I promise if I ever get into a discussion with you I'll try very hard never to use that expression.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote