Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like to write notes in books?
I work for Sony and have a vested interest in notewriting in books 0 0%
All the time, you can't stop me defacing those books 9 8.49%
Some of the time 13 12.26%
Very occasionally 15 14.15%
Never! The printed word is sacred and should not be defiled with scribblings! 61 57.55%
Of course ! Why do you think I love ebooks so much ? 3 2.83%
the blue one next to the fish 5 4.72%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Do you like to write notes in books?

Do you write notes in books?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
as in paper books?

Never, ever, ever.

Electronic? yes. Mostly to correct mistakes in the book I'm reading so I can later change the source file.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i don't write notes in paper books, because i feel that i am defacing them and it will possibly spoil the pleasure of reading them for myself and others (although i did when i was reading them for classes at university). however i love to write notes in ebooks because i can hide the notes and it doesn't spoil anything. i like to highlight quotes that i want to remember or come back to, vocabulary words i don't know, and also errors to correct (which i do correct, if it's a book i've made or a book i know i'll want to read again).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Do you write notes in books?
I tried, but all the tippex i used to remove them made it hard to see the screen on my BeBook after a while ... (Couldn't resist)

Seriously though, I never write notes in a pbook which I assume you are talking about. I am very careful with my books and goes postal if someone borrows them and returns them with even a single "dogear".

If I need to make a note of something I use post-its
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
I tried, but all the tippex i used to remove them made it hard to see the screen on my BeBook after a while ... (Couldn't resist)
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
All of my nonfiction pbooks and many of my fiction pbooks have markings in them. (e.g., "Does this conclusion relate to previous one?" or "!" or "Check history of this idea" or "Too many ZCDs before breakfast") My favorite books have marks on every page. I would dearly love to be able to highlight and annotate my ebooks. It's more important than a dictionary function. So, yes, I'm considering an upgrade of my Sony 505.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Only cookery books with soft pencil. NEVER in any other books

Last edited by columbus; 09-09-2009 at 09:18 AM.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
All of my nonfiction pbooks and many of my fiction pbooks have markings in them. (e.g., "Does this conclusion relate to previous one?" or "!" or "Check history of this idea" or "Too many ZCDs before breakfast") My favorite books have marks on every page. I would dearly love to be able to highlight and annotate my ebooks. It's more important than a dictionary function. So, yes, I'm considering an upgrade of my Sony 505.
I think Clive James, one of my favourite writers, once told of enjoying the archaeology of notes in old books he'd bought, and then adding so many of his own to the mix. Provided it didn't obscure the text or introduce spoilers, I think it would be a pleasure to buy books others had read and to read their reactions and investigations and enthusiasms and even links to memories you can't access for meaning.

I write in books occasionally, after all, they're my books.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
I don't write in paper books.

I do make notes and hilite when reading with my ebookwise. As mentioned already, I mark spelling and formating errors that I can go back and correct in books that I know that I will read again and jot down things that I think about while reading. It is one of the reasons that I really want a newer touchscreen reader with these features. It doesn't even have to be one with an e-ink screen. I like my ez-reader but I miss the note taking features and ease of following links that my ebookwise has.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

so wait, i only just noticed the poll, is the poll about paper books ? or ebooks ?? because my answer will change, depending... (although i'm still not sure what to choose. i don't work for sony, but i LOVE my note-taking function !!! )
Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so wait, i only just noticed the poll, is the poll about paper books ? or ebooks ?? because my answer will change, depending... (although i'm still not sure what to choose. i don't work for sony, but i LOVE my note-taking function !!! )
Not to mention the fact that there are way to many poll-options missing. Blue one, next to the fish etc etc etc in absurdum.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I was meaning pbooks (given my lack of notetaking ability in my PRS-500)... maybe an option for only in ebooks should be added Zelda?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Not to mention the fact that there are way to many poll-options missing. Blue one, next to the fish etc etc etc in absurdum.
I don't know. The blue one next to the fish can wait for the next poll
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I think I was meaning pbooks (given my lack of notetaking ability in my PRS-500)... maybe an option for only in ebooks should be added Zelda?
look at that, it seems the poll fairy has passed through here.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
look at that, it seems the poll fairy has passed through here.
Funny that Z Never thought of you as a fairy!