Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Xestrix
Xestrix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 - Faded Menu [Isolated, maybe?]

Hello mobileread members

I'm experiencing a strange issue with my Kindle 2 and I wanted to see if anyone here had some ideas. I've posted in the Amazon Customer Forum as well as one other ebook forum, so I'll just quote what I've gathered so far:

Quote:
Hi there, I just received my Kindle 2 today. (actually a gift for my gf, but I thought I'd play around with it a bit ;P )

I have to say that I am very impressed with the most all aspects of the Kindle 2, and am now considering buing a second Kindle for myself.

I have, however, noticed a small issue already. When I am reading a book and press the 'Menu' button, the menu pops up -very- faded, almost sun-bleached looking. half of the characters aren't even completely displayed.

I can close the menu and everything else still looks perfect.

Is this normal, or are there any suggested solutions for this issue?

I'd hate to have to wait for a new Kindle to be shipped after just getting it :/
Quote:
Pressing alt-g did fix the broken characters on the page, but did not solve the faded text. Alos, this fix only works if I'm already at the menu, each time that I re-open the menu, it is faded, etc. again.

I could have sworn that the first time I opened the menu, it faded whatever I was reading, and the menu popped up with the text being as dark as the normal reading text.

What happens now is that both the text I am reading and the menu appear faded, which doesn't make it very easy to see the menu.
Quote:
To clarify, the -only- thing faded (from what I can tell) on my entire Kindle is the menu that pops up while I'm reading a book and hit the 'Menu' button. At no other time do I have this issue. From the home screen, when I hit 'Menu', everything shows up just fine. Its -only- while reading a book and opening the menu.

Also to note, I have updated my Kindle's firmware to the latest available (2.0.2).
Quote:
An Update:

This is a little strange, and also something that perhaps I could coerce another person into trying to reproduce.

I have further isolated my issue to only occurring on 2 particular books. I'm not sure if the issue is farther spread as I only have two books on my kindle, aside from the user guide and thank you letter.

When I am reading the user manual, welcome letter, or the dictionary the issue -does not occur-. When I'm reading either of my MOBI format books from Project Gutenberg, the issue -does occur-.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/11 - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2591 - Grimm's Fairy Tales

I'm not sure if this issue is only limited to MOBI files from Project Gutenberg, or just MOBI files, or just Project Gutenberg. I'll spend some time trying different combinations and I'll let you know what I find.

In the meantime, If anyone would be so kind as to try downloading either of those two books from PG in MOBI format and opening their menu while reading the book, I would be most appreciative to hear your results. Please and Thank you! ^^;
Quote:
One more update:

An independent member of the Amazon.com Kindle2 forum has just verified that this issue can be reproduced.

Anyone else have thoughts on this issue?

Is this something that no one has run into before? I was under the impression that Project Gutenberg was a fairly popular site, and I just assumed someone may have downloaded a MOBI format book from them before :x

EDIT: The issue does -not- occur in TXT format files from PG. A problem with the MOBI format? This is my first time ever using a mobi file, so I have no background experience here :x
Xestrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I already posted it here when I confirmed it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44362
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
Xestrix
Xestrix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Wow, I hadn't expected to run into the very same member from the Amazon forums.

Should the topics be collapsed into one?
Xestrix is offline   Reply With Quote