Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Cool The Props Thread!

There are plenty of horrid things that happen daily, with varying degrees of negativity, but sometimes the props really keep us going. Sometimes they are HUGE! and sometimes very minor. They have different impacts on us in a pay it forward sort of fashion, we can never really know where one good deed or happy occurence will take us.

I'll start, not necessarily a good deed, but a happy! I've found a German Deli close to where I live. I stocked up on a few favorties and as a result I've started my Sunday morning with an "echte fruhstuck"! and feel fantastic/nostalgic!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
A battered old Trilby hat I wear when writing, handed down from Uncle's collection (he's 83). i always don the hat when I'm writing under a pseudonym, kind of like an actor with a prop changing from one character to another. I believe it to be a totem of happiness, an object that can magically transform my mood.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Ha-ah!!! A variation on the clothes make the man? The uniform makes the profession?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
Ha-ah!!! A variation on the clothes make the man? The uniform makes the profession?

Oh most definitely. It's a romantic ideal I grew up with - the pulp writer, hunched over the Remington Black Steel typewriter, a single cigarette smoking in a black marble ashtray, blinds open to let in the blinking neon of the city beyond...the steady mechanical insect noise of the typewriter keys....
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard

You forgot the open bottle of whiskey and slightly dingy shot glass...
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Sorry guys for being dense, but what does this topic mean?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Sorry guys for being dense, but what does this topic mean?
Prop as in "an object that brings something more than its designed purpose"

Or Prop as in "a crutch, something that props you up, gives you a boost when you're feeling down".

At least that's how I see it.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Prop as in "an object that brings something more than its designed purpose"

Or Prop as in "a crutch, something that props you up, gives you a boost when you're feeling down".

At least that's how I see it.
Very helpful!
I re-read the topic and understood what you were talking about
Ta!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
krisk
Wizard

YAY!!! A little over a year ago I won a trip to the Dominican Republic (I was employee of the year). We had very little free time, most of it was taken up by doing corporate stuff, but I had signed up for a trip to swim with the Dolphins. One of the Execs wives decided to go with me instead of the shark trip. She didn't have enough cash on her so I loaned her $110. She e-mailed me twice after we got back then I never heard from her again. I mentally wrote off the money. I just now got an email apologizing for her tardiness and asking for my address and she will send a check right away!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The heck with the $110 (er, um, i mean to say, i'm glad she remembered it!!) tell us about swimming with dolphins!!! pictures??
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
krisk
Wizard

I have a CD of the pictures if I did not leave it back in Washington... I'll look. Anyway, I did not realize that apparently dolphins can put a horny male poodle to shame! They are extremely sensual and very touch motivated. They can tell the difference between the sexes even! An adult male and adolescent male (this is according to the handlers)started circling me and kept swimming me away from the group which is a no-no. I would be whistled at and sternly told to; "GO BACK TO THE GROUP!!!" The adult male kept sticking his nose in my cleavage. I am fairly well endowed so there is a fair amount of cleavage to accomadate dolphin nose. They will swim up to you so that they are vertical in the water with their head next to yours and rub their body on yours. I thought that was pretty cool until I found out later that they are a bunch of horndogs. Well maybe make that horndolphins!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds amazing, and a great deal of fun!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
krisk
Wizard

Oh it is!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
krisk
Wizard

I got drafted into making a Greek dinner for everyone yesterday. I did a leg of lamb infused with garlic and covered with rosemary slow roasted on a grill, spanikopita, tzatziki, cauliflower steamed then quick fried soaked in a yogurt/curry sauce (can't remember what it's called) and prosicuitto wrapped honeydew. There were 7 for dinner including the landlord, his girlfriend and brother. It was really fantastic! All but one person is very well traveled and has had a very interesting life. Conversation was all over the place. I haven't felt this relaxed since I lived in Germany!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Wow --- what a way to make friends. Go straight for their tummy!