Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
lamparty
lamparty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Question All books on PRS-505 have the same date

Something must have changed in the last month or so. when I go to choose the latest book I have added to the PRS-505 it shows that they all have been added the last time I used Calibre to add a book to the card? I checked in the author folders and the dates are right there and what I can make out of the metadata files with a text editor it seems they are right there also. I have no idea why the behavior has changed! Everything else works as usual and just fine.

Tom Lamparty
lamparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamparty View Post
Something must have changed in the last month or so. when I go to choose the latest book I have added to the PRS-505 it shows that they all have been added the last time I used Calibre to add a book to the card? I checked in the author folders and the dates are right there and what I can make out of the metadata files with a text editor it seems they are right there also. I have no idea why the behavior has changed! Everything else works as usual and just fine.

Tom Lamparty
Tom
The Metadata FILE date probably updated. Calibre did something for data consistency and this can cause all books to be touched.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
lamparty

This is new behavior! The only time all books had the same date was when I wiped and reloaded all the books on the ereader one time. Every time before and since till just recently, I have always been able to go to the main menu of the reader and choose Books by date and have the newest book pop to the top of the list! Now I just added one book today and have 503 books it says were added Today!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I know that something was just changed in calibre's Modified column's functionality. Chaley just mentioned it (or was it Itimpi?) anyway, it was a 1.4/1.5 change. So it's possible that the new version "refreshed" your dates due to the change.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
lamparty

Problem is, it is not a one time thing! Everytime I add a new book to the PRS-505, all dates end up the same as far as the sort by date on the device is concerned. This is even though it isn't that way on the files themselves or as much of the metadata that I can make sense of. I don't know where the device is getting those "All the Same" dates from??
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no significant changes to the PRS 505 driver in years. In fact, as far as I know no calibre developers even have a 505 anymore, so it would be impossible to make such changes.

Try resetting your device, other than that I have no suggestions.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What happens if you add a book to the reader 'manually' i.e. other than via calibre.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
lamparty

Weird! Going to books by date and all books are listed as today, but go to the first page in the listings and the books are listed by date in order latest to oldest, with the correct dates they were added! This is even when a book is added manually to the folders made by Calibre.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
lamparty

OK, it is an established fact! I am an idiot! A while back the battery went totally dead and the PRS-505 lost ALL date and time settings! Obviously, if the date is 2007 Dec. 11, then none of my ebooks were added earlier than that so anything later is TODAY! Reset the time and date and everything is back to normal! Sorry to put you through all the bother. My only excuse is, Who ever bothers to check those settings after the first time you set the device up??
Old 10-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
OK, it is an established fact! I am an idiot!
Welcome to the club.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, it is an established fact! I am an idiot! A while back the battery went totally dead and the PRS-505 lost ALL date and time settings! Obviously, if the date is 2007 Dec. 11, then none of my ebooks were added earlier than that so anything later is TODAY! Reset the time and date and everything is back to normal! Sorry to put you through all the bother. My only excuse is, Who ever bothers to check those settings after the first time you set the device up??
It never cease to amaze me that many devices with clock/calendars do not have a provision to report a timestamp synch error upon connection and allow a 1-click clock update (without the need to manually enter time and date).
Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It never cease to amaze me that many devices with clock/calendars do not have a provision to report a timestamp synch error upon connection and allow a 1-click clock update (without the need to manually enter time and date).
Connection to what? The 505 has no connection to the outside world. Maybe it does if you connect to Sony software via USB. We are talking about a device released Nov 14, 2007.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Connection to what? The 505 has no connection to the outside world. Maybe it does if you connect to Sony software via USB. We are talking about a device released Nov 14, 2007.
Connect by whatever is the standard: In this case USB (BTW My PEz has the same flaw. The only way to set the clock is from the menu of the device)

My router has a configuration to use NTP
All my internet ready devices have some sort of Time source configuration.

Even my old analog TV and VCR could get time from the Horizontal encoded by the local station

I work with Home Automation systems, there is a option to 'Set Clock from PC' when I connect (via RS232 or IP or Dialup) with the 'system Programming' software

When I used Netware 3.x and 4.x, it would complain bitterly if the clocks were not in sync.

Any time 2 file systems connect, the time (TZ corrected) needs to be in synch
Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
.Any time 2 file systems connect, the time (TZ corrected) needs to be in synch
Needs is a harsh word. The 505 doesn't need accurate date info to act as a dumb USB drive.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Needs is a harsh word. The 505 doesn't need accurate date info to act as a dumb USB drive.
Does it run ADE (MRSDK)?
It needs a proper timestamp or the DRM library book expires

Tags
bugreports, dates, device, prs-505