Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 07-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
4G iPods Announced

After much rumor and much speculation, the fourth generation of the venerable Apple iPod was announced today Apple Site.

Over the past several months, there were numerous rumors about the features to be included in the new iPod ranging from the plausible (video display) to the not bloody likely (WMA support). In the end, we got the iPod mini controls, simplified menu system, slightly smaller size, 50% better battery life, speed variable Audiobooks, multiple On-The-Go Playlists, and my personal favorite, Sync and charging through USB.

Other Links
Newsweek Article from MSNBC
MacMinute
Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok, should I buy the Mini iPod or the new "normal-sized" one? I thought both were quite handy, and the 4G iPod seems to offer more for the same buck.
Advert
Old 07-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

I have had iPods since the original 5GB iPod (which I gave to my sister). I upgraded to the 2G 20GB because the 5GB was out of space. I upgraded to the 3G 40GB one because I was an idiot (the 2G was fine). I love the 3G, but the 20GB had plenty of space. I love the Mini also, but 4GB was not enough for me. So the answer I guess depends on two things:

1) What is the size of your collection?
2) What do you want to use it for?

I read somewhere else that the iPod Mini is for carrying your favorite songs. The iPod is a jukebox meant to carry ALL of your songs.

My vote is for the iPod as it is almost as small, but way more room for growth. Of course, if price is an issue...
Old 07-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Don't forget the workout factor of the Mini. Using the Mini at the gym is what 90% of my friends use it for.

I even have 2 friends who have both a regular Pod for general use, and a Mini specifically for working out (Yea, they're spoiled idiots) because of the size.

I also second the room-for-growth advice. You'll find that your Pod will become your best friend, and if you're at ALL gadget-obsessive (and let's face facts: you're on this board, so you must be), you'll need more room.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
brahamt
Groupie

I use my iPod for workouts as well (just really don't like the space factor of the mini - seems like going backwards). The iPod is not much larger, though there seem to be more accessories for jogging and the like geared towards the Mini.

I don't think anyone here is under this mis-conception, but just in case I will dispel it. One of the guys at the Apple store was under the mistaken impression that the Mini was solid state. So if shock is your concern, it is a factor on both the iPod and the Mini, though not a large factor in my opinion.

Of course, if you can afford both, well this whole discussion is moot.

BTW sunshine, I love the site on your sig. I actually check it once a week.
Advert
Old 07-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #6
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I think I will still go with one of the Mini's... I cannot afford buying both, and I really don't think I'd need more than 4Gb MP3s at the same time when I am on the road.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:20 PM   #7
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahamt

BTW sunshine, I love the site on your sig. I actually check it once a week.

Hmmm. Do you mean Kallipugos? It's my blog... and if so, I'm flattered!

If you mean whatever's in the blue box thingy, then that's whatever I'm listening to right now via WinAmp... which changes frequently but I'll assume you mean RadioIO -- it totally rocks.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
brahamt
Groupie

I meant Kallipugos.

There is no way to say this and not have it sound wierd, but trust me, I mean this in a really positive way. You have a very different view of the world than most, and I think that's cool.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

I'll take that as a compliment!

Funny too, my domain is up for renewal, and with all my committments this fall, I've been thinking of scrapping it. Yours is the fifth such compliment I've received in the past two days.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:25 AM   #10
joemafia
joemafia began at the beginning.

Device: TH55/Treo600
I want one. I've just my Ipod mini for one of those. 300 bucks is not a bad deal for 20 gigs.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 AM   #11
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Looks like the 4G iPods suffer from quality issues (something I thought to be impossible with Apple products):

"New fourth-generation iPods are making their way into customers' hands, but some users are complaining about smears, scratches and blemishes on the music player's case. Some customers are discussing the problem at Apple's support discussion forums. Users are providing a wide range of descriptions of their iPods' blemishes, including a light brown stain, worn plastic, scratches, brushed marks, and visible smears."

Read the full article at Think Secret.