Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'll second The Good Earth.

I'll nominate Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (1911 Pulitzer). It's a short read set during a winter storm, perfect for December. Available at all the usual public domain places.

Quote:
Set against the bleak winter landscape of New England, Ethan Frome tells the story of a poor farmer, lonely and downtrodden, his wife Zeena, and her cousin, the enchanting Mattie Silver. In the playing out of this short novel's powerful and engrossing drama, Edith Wharton constructed her least characteristic and most celebrated book. In its unyielding and shocking pessimism, its bleak demonstration of tragic waste, it is a masterpiece of psychological and emotional realism.

Last edited by Synamon; 11-20-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am going to nominate a science fiction classic...I, Robot by Isaac Asimov.

Quote:
The three laws of Robotics:
1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm
2) A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

With these three, simple directives, Isaac Asimov changed our perception of robots forever when he formulated the laws governing their behavior. In I, Robot, Asimov chronicles the development of the robot through a series of interlinked stories: from its primitive origins in the present to its ultimate perfection in the not-so-distant future—a future in which humanity itself may be rendered obsolete.

Here are stories of robots gone mad, of mind-read robots, and robots with a sense of humor. Of robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world—all told with the dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction that has become Asmiov's trademark.
I, Robot is available FOR FREE from some (not just the USA) libraries that support Overdrive.
ePub: http://search.overdrive.com/ti/9ab7d...c-asimov-ebook
Kindle: http://search.overdrive.com/ti/9ab7d...c-asimov-ebook
MP3: http://search.overdrive.com/ti/a6aae...imov-audiobook
WMA: http://search.overdrive.com/ti/a6aae...imov-audiobook

Also available for sale at stores such as...
BooksOnBoard: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...R=Isaac+Asimov
Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/I-Rob...zi6LKESj6A&r=4
B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/i-ro...=9780553900330
Sony: https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/is...00000000030729

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-20-2012 at 12:53 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
What is the definition of a classic for the purpose of this book club?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Awaiting JSWolf in five, four, . . .

Until he arrives, it is like John pointed out in this thread already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought the hard rule was that it had to be out of copyright in Life + 50 countries?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I give my votes to second Quo Vadis, Crime and Punishment and Nicholas Nickleby.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Having looked up the definition of classic on Dictionary.com ("a literary work of the first rank, especially one of demonstrably enduring quality") I second the nomination of The Good Earth. It won the Pulitzer Prize 80 years ago which establishes that it is of first rank. My 91-year-old mother-in-law struggled to finish it in the last days of her life. She said that she had always meant to read it and didn't want to die before finishing it. For me, that established 'enduring quality'.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Having looked up the definition of classic on Dictionary.com (a literary work of the first rank, especially one of demonstrably enduring quality)
The bold is mine. I think that's a very good definition for classic.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
No it has not been chosen before. It is available at MR, as an LRF file. This is the Constance Garnett translation.
Thanks, and thanks.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll second I, Robot.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'll give the third nomination to Crime and Punishment.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Third Quo Vadis, second Jean Brodie and Ethan Frome.

I've never read Quo Vadis and while I've read the other two, they're worth rereading AND they're short. Unlike CP and NN, worth rereading, but! December's busy!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I thought the hard rule was that it had to be out of copyright in Life + 50 countries?
and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post

Until he arrives, it is like John pointed out in this thread already:
Not sure where this comes from. If it exists it must've been set in the last year because Catch 22 was successfully nominated in Dec 2011.

I'm not necessarily against the rule as such as it doesn't sound totally unreasonable, but I just can't recall seeing it stated anywhere.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If that was a rule, that would eliminate a lot of "classics" that are not out of copyright in life+50 countries. I, Robot that I nominated is a classic, but it is not out of copyright in life+50 countries. So that rule may have just been a suggestion.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #28
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
I second Quo Vadis - some interesting suggestions so far, but the Roman and seasonal link make this very appropriate and hey I've never read a Polish book ( I think)!
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I'll third I, Robot.

And, Jon, it's time to change your pumpkin-headed avatar!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
And, Jon, it's time to change your pumpkin-headed avatar!
Is that better? Now Tux is ready for Chanukah.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-20-2012 at 04:56 PM.