Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Does anybody have an idea of how many units of the Gen3 that is currently sold? Is it like 100 or 10 000?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
Does anybody have an idea of how many units of the Gen3 that is currently sold? Is it like 100 or 10 000?
Somewhere around 10.000. I recently saw an order number in the high 9000s mentioned on this forum.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

That might be an indication but we do not now how that the order numbers are determinated and it is likely that this number include orders for other items, such as Cybook gen1 or batteries.

Last edited by Prospect; 01-25-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #19
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
My estimated guess would be around a few thousand.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Gen3 orders seemed to start at about 1500 or so (mine was one of the first orders and was 16-something). If they are at 10000 now, that probably indicates that they've had about 8000-ish orders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #21
Prospect
Other

Or even more since some orders would consist of more than one device
Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I remember Bookeen at first wanting to be in business selling readers to corporations. I wonder what came of that...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #23
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
One thing I'd like to see is an optional remote for page turns. I find that I read a fair bit with a book chair. I tried a book chair with paper books but found it more of a bother fussing with page turns. It works well with the ebook except reaching to turn pages. I would feel better knowing that I could just buy another remote if it broke too. Waterproof so I can read while doing the dishes or with my rubber ducky in the tub.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #24
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
I REALLY hope that Bookeen doesn't come out with a Gen4 soon, simply because I haven't even gotten my Cybook in the mail yet and I'm not too eager for it to be out of date :P

I would LOVE some new firmware however C'moooon folders!

Anyways, all the suggestions made so far are good ones, but navigation > wi-fi imo. For me it's all about the reading experience, since that's what I'll spend most of my time doing. I don't really care if it takes me an extra few minutes to download books (although I guess wi-fi is nice for news).
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #25
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How much would you be willing to pay for such a unit? Virtually all the cost of an eInk device is in the screen; for the foreseeable future such a device would cost well over $1000; probably over $2000. Would you pay that?

Nope.

I still think the devices are too pricey although a Cybook (or other reader) isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Anything over $400 US is way too much, IMHO. And I don't want an e-reader to replace my laptop/desktop computer.

Read books, painless acquisition of new material and take notes, that would be my perfect e-reading device. I don't need to surf the internet or write e-mails from the thing, just read good books as comfortably as possible.

And take notes if need be on what I'm reading.

If the Gen4 CyBook changed nothing but included the new Wacom input at the same price, that'd be perfect for me.
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #26
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Given the news item, I thought I'd add my wishes as well.

Note: I do not own a Cybook (mainly for monitary reasons[€->SFr + shipping])

What I'd like to see in any such a device, is:
  • COM port/RS-232 as has been mentioned on the previous page. There are several ways to make this discrete and without using too much space. It's a developer interface, so you can hide it just about anywhere or require external adapters, leaving just a tiny connector on the actual device (under a hood for instance or on the back-side, not the edge). Even custom interfaces are fine if proper documentation and usability is ensured.
  • Full (and usable) documentation of the hardware. Examples are welcome.
  • Linux sources with some documentation.
  • Backup BIOS (such as every modern mainboard has) to help you recover in case of a bad flash.

The above is meant to make developing for the Cybook Gen 4 as easy as possible. Typical excuses are "trade secrets" and the like but those are usually bullshit excuses (ref: Adaptec and VIA).
Without proper developer support, your stuck with current problems (PDF support, bugs, etc).
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #27
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Bookeen doesn't offer Linux sources (and, apprently, refuses to provide them even when asked) and they have only a single copy of bootloader and root fs in the flash, making the device brickable with a bad update.
Notably, both Sony and Amazon offer full Linux sources with all necessary drivers. Further, both Reader and Kindle do have backup bootloader and root filesystem which are activated in case of problems with the main ones. Granted, they don't offer documentation on the ways to get inside the device, but that's been figured out (they both have a serial port with shell running).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #28
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Nice blog and what we'd need for the Cybook.

OT: Same Igor as with unichrome?
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Bookeen doesn't offer Linux sources (and, apprently, refuses to provide them even when asked) and they have only a single copy of bootloader and root fs in the flash, making the device brickable with a bad update.
So there is nothing in ROM that can be used to botstrap things? So how do you unbrick it?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
You buy a new one, I think.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookeen, cybook, gen4