Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
iPod nano 7th Gen Rumors

What features would you like to see in the next iPod nano?

iPod nano Release History
  • Sep 05 -- 1st Gen
  • Sep 06 -- 2nd Gen
  • Sep 07 -- 3rd Gen
  • Sep 08 -- 4th Gen
  • Sep 09 -- 5th Gen
  • Sep 10 -- 6th Gen
  • Sep 11 -- 6th Gen (no new release)
  • Sep 12 -- 7th Gen ???
This rumor suggests a rectangular screen and home button like a smaller iPhone along with a built-in dedicated iTunes service.

Apple's next iPod nano may resemble tiny iPhone, feature dedicated iTunes service

After reading this rumor, it got me to thinking that maybe my iPod touch is too large. I use it mostly for audio, so a smaller version would be a great audio device.

So how about a nano with iOS, wifi, touch screen, and apps? It would make a great audio device - Amazon Cloud Player, Audible, BBC Radio, CBC Radio, iTunes, iTunes U, NPR Radio, OverDrive, Pandora, Podcasts, TuneIn Radio, etc. In other words, shrink the iPod touch.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I think the iPod touch is just right for the features it carries. But for just music, then I would have to agree that smaller is better.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't stand the nano. A touch screen on such a small device is silly!
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I still have my third gen iPod nano with click-wheel.

It's perfect, and I dread the day it breaks and I have to replace it. They don't make iPods with physical pause buttons anymore. Pausing something on my iPod touch is an exercise in frustration. They're virtual buttons on the screen, so not only do I have to look at the screen in order to pause, but the buttons are so tiny and close together that I almost always hit the "previous" or "next" button instead.

Not to mention that they intentionally broke the smart playlist functionality on the newer iPod nanos in order to promote their "genius" playlists.

So my idea for them to improve the iPod nano for the seventh generation would be to make it like the third generation again, bring back smart playlists, but maybe add wifi for people who want to stream stuff, and add more gigabytes.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like this mock up (but in black).

Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
That was a nice design and so were the 4th and 5th gen models. The 6th gen is pointless and too small. I really want to see a wifi version with apps, but it'll never happen. So I'll have to be content with the iPod touch.

For on the go music, I prefer my Sansa Clips with physical buttons. Very small and very easy to navigate by touch only.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post

It's perfect, and I dread the day it breaks and I have to replace it. They don't make iPods with physical pause buttons anymore. Pausing something on my iPod touch is an exercise in frustration. They're virtual buttons on the screen, so not only do I have to look at the screen in order to pause, but the buttons are so tiny and close together that I almost always hit the "previous" or "next" button instead.

Not to mention that they intentionally broke the smart playlist functionality on the newer iPod nanos in order to promote their "genius" playlists.

So my idea for them to improve the iPod nano for the seventh generation would be to make it like the third generation again, bring back smart playlists, but maybe add wifi for people who want to stream stuff, and add more gigabytes.
That was my favourite generation as well. I gave it to my brother when he went into the hospital, and later got a newer nano - which I don't like nearly as much. As they say, if it ain't broke.....
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a Classic just so I can have the click-wheel...
(And the space. I suppose that's pretty groovy, too.)
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The fifth generation nano was almost perfect for me.
I hate the 6th generation one.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Eh, I actually kinda like the current design. Just wish they would stick a Pixel Qi or some other transflective display in it. Also perhaps make an accessory that clicks into the bottom, providing the classic style click wheel for those who desire it.

Last edited by Dylrob; 08-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
An alternative is Archos.

Players

Particularly for the smaller screen is better crowd.

See the

Archos 14vision (1.4" screen)

Archos 10bvision (1.0" screen)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
They can go with the 3rd or the 6th design. I don't care much as long as they provide connectivity options like wifi or bluetooth. with something that small, I wish I can use my bluetooth headphones.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote