Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Smile To wait or not to wait ...

I've been using my current Glo for two years and it's still holding up fine, unlike my first Glo and the Aura I had before, which bit the dust relatively quickly. I don't really need another reader while the Glo works, but it would fit well into my budget currently and new toys are fun.

However, I'm not sure the timing is good. Here in Germany, the models offered are the Aura ONE (first edition), H2OE2 (sold out now, it was the one I had been looking at for a while), H2O, Aura E2 and Touch 2. I see no point in buying the first edition H20 at the same price the E2 model would have cost if it was still in stock, and the Touch has no backlight.

That leaves me with the ONE and the Aura E2. The latter isn't giving me much over my current Glo, except for the nightlight. I'd probably jump on the ONE (even though I am not sure that 7.8" isn't bigger than I want), if I had not read about the ONE Edition 2 that Kobo only offers in the US and in Japan. Then again, the difference seems to just be the larger internal storage, which doesn't matter much to me since I don't keep 1000s of books on my reader (I use Calibre). It's not the latest model, though, and I wonder if it wouldn't be smarter to wait a few months and see what Kobo offers later in the year.

What are your thoughts?
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
That leaves me with the ONE and the Aura E2. The latter isn't giving me much over my current Glo, except for the nightlight.
I don't think the Aura 2 has the nightlight. So it doesn't give you that either.

The Aura H202 will be back in stock again. Can you order and pay for it now and have it shipped when available?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Aura H202 will be back in stock again. Can you order and pay for it now and have it shipped when available?
No, it's not offered as an option. Kobo's German shop site uses a term for "out of stock" that usually indicates that an item is permanently sold out and won't be restocked (same German word that would translate to "out of print" if used in reference to books). I can't even find one on the German eBay.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
I wonder if Kobo plans to make a new eReader model available to coincide with the new Walmart deal.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
rayliam
rayliam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One Limited, Nook Simple Touch, Samsung Tablet
In a way, I hope not since I just ordered a Kobo Aura One LE on Wednesday.

Last edited by rayliam; 01-26-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typo
rayliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No, it's not offered as an option. Kobo's German shop site uses a term for "out of stock" that usually indicates that an item is permanently sold out and won't be restocked (same German word that would translate to "out of print" if used in reference to books). I can't even find one on the German eBay.
I just looked at the Kobo Australia site, and the Aura H2OE2 is listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock". That suggests it is coming back.

More interesting is that the original Aura H2O is also listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock". I had assumed they would be stopping this, but maybe they are keeping one device with an external SD card around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
I wonder if Kobo plans to make a new eReader model available to coincide with the new Walmart deal.
If Kobo have hardware to release, they usually announce in either March/April or September and release it about a month later. The last firmware release includes some hints of a new device, so, I think we will be seeing something in the March/April this year. And having something new for Walmart makes a lot of sense. Of course, I have no idea what the new device will be.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-26-2018 at 07:34 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
Mivo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I just looked at the Kobo Australia site, and the Aura H2OE2 is listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock". That suggests it is coming back.
I think I'll drop Kobo an email and ask about this before deciding. I've also been looking a little at alternatives and spotted the Pocketbook Touch HD 2, which might be an alternative for me. Been a while since I had a reader with physical page buttons.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I think I'll drop Kobo an email and ask about this before deciding. I've also been looking a little at alternatives and spotted the Pocketbook Touch HD 2, which might be an alternative for me. Been a while since I had a reader with physical page buttons.
Actually, I didn't think Kobo sold all their devices in Germany because of their association with tolino. I don't remember exactly what the conditions were, but I remember people commenting on this when Kobo took over tolino's technical side, or whatever the deal was.

In any case, the tolino epos is a very nice device. Its firmware is missing things you will be used to with the Glo (no metadata display). But, it has some nice things (page numbers in the ToC). And some annoying things (the bookmark icon in the top right even when there is no bookmark). Firmware wise, I'd choose Kobo over tolino. Hardware wise, the epos compares very favourably with the Aura ONE, and either would be good.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 AM   #9
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
I've been using my current Glo for two years and it's still holding up fine, unlike my first Glo and the Aura I had before, which bit the dust relatively quickly. I don't really need another reader while the Glo works, but it would fit well into my budget currently and new toys are fun.

However, I'm not sure the timing is good. Here in Germany, the models offered are the Aura ONE (first edition), H2OE2 (sold out now, it was the one I had been looking at for a while), H2O, Aura E2 and Touch 2. I see no point in buying the first edition H20 at the same price the E2 model would have cost if it was still in stock, and the Touch has no backlight.

That leaves me with the ONE and the Aura E2. The latter isn't giving me much over my current Glo, except for the nightlight. I'd probably jump on the ONE (even though I am not sure that 7.8" isn't bigger than I want), if I had not read about the ONE Edition 2 that Kobo only offers in the US and in Japan. Then again, the difference seems to just be the larger internal storage, which doesn't matter much to me since I don't keep 1000s of books on my reader (I use Calibre). It's not the latest model, though, and I wonder if it wouldn't be smarter to wait a few months and see what Kobo offers later in the year.

What are your thoughts?
I'm willing to take over the Glo for my kids. If it's really in good order. EDIT: if you're interested, send me a pm.

Last edited by Dryhte; 01-29-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote